• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Backpack CD DOS hanging

NeXT

Veteran Member
I have a 24x parallel port Backpack CD drive and I ahve never gotten it to work under DOS. It seemed to work okay under Windows but for DOS it wasn't cutting it.
I forst tried on a GRiDCase 2000 series a few years ago and it would just hopelessly hang as soon as the driver was loaded (driver was version 4.00). At the time I assumed t was the age of the laptop that was the problem.
Now I ahve my Compaq Portable 386 which is a lot faster and slightly newer. It's running DOS 6.22 with QUEMM doing the EMS work.
Problem is that again, the system hangs as soon as the driver loads. I already tried two different drives and power supplies and the problem persists so I'm not sure what's wrong.

As an experiment, have you tried a CONFIG.SYS that contains only the BPCDDRV.SYS driver?

Have you tried version 2.06 of the driver?
Available at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/backpack_cdrom/backpack_cdrom.htm

MicroSolutions troubleshooting document #2210 covers the symptom you describe, but for versions 2.xx of the driver.
That document describes the use certain arguments being passed to the driver to force certain modes of operation.
I don't know if the version 4.00 driver still supports those arguments, but worth a try.
Document #2210 is at the same web page referred to above.

Code:
device=\bpcdrom\bpcddrv.sys /d:bpcddrv$ EPP=5
(or)
device=\bpcdrom\bpcddrv.sys /d:bpcddrv$ NOEPP
(or)
device=\bpcdrom\bpcddrv.sys /d:bpcddrv$ busclk=0 (the number zero)
(or)
device=\bpcdrom\bpcddrv.sys /d:bpcddrv$ T8=3

None of these worked. The downloads also seem to be broken links for me. :/

Back