• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just a word of thanks for the forum moderators...

I'll add my appreciation to the list in spite of the occasional difference of opinion; it's one of those jobs that the better you do it the less it's noticed and the more it's taken for granted, and you guys do it pretty well indeed.

Thanks, Mike and the rest of you folks who behind the scenes keep this the great place it is!

I just visited the Yahoo! Groups "Buildcomp" group and got a dose of how bad things can get if the moderators aren't diligent.

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

Hear Hear, three cheers for the moderators!

Seeing Buildcomp is quite sad. I don't think there are actually any "on topic" posts and it is 100% spam -- mostly pr0n too.

Please keep vintage-computer.com family friendly and a nice place to visit!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

PS, I was able to contact the original moderator of the Catweasel Yahoo! group and join as an assistant moderator. I went through and wiped out all the spam and now it is mostly on topic. Maybe the same could be done for BuildComp? Right now it is less than worthless and an internet eye-sore.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/catweasel/

+
PS, I was able to contact the original moderator of the Catweasel Yahoo! group and join as an assistant moderator. I went through and wiped out all the spam and now it is mostly on topic. Maybe the same could be done for BuildComp? Right now it is less than worthless and an internet eye-sore.

Congratulations on the CW group. I must admit that I've never visited it, even though I use the CW quite a bit--mostly because people seem to be interested in drivers for Windows and Linux. I use good-old MS-DOS because I can maintain very tight control over what I'm doing.

I went back and browsed the Buildcomp message base. There hasn't been a substantive non-spam post since early 2006. So there have been some 44,000 messages of spam to about 1,500 messages with any real content. I don't know why Yahoo! even keeps the group active--potentially, the group could be a valuable resource, as many people--particularly gamers--do assemble their own systems.

it's only very recently that I registered here, but I've been a member of various web forums for long enough, and seen several of them turn into spammers' litterboxes. Actually, the www in general seems less like an "information superhighway" these days :)lol:), and more like a gigantic landfill that has spilled over the road... but that's a whole other story.
anyway, good to see that things are different over here - keep it up good sirs.

I have to join in with the others. At one time there was quite a lot of spam and I offered to help as a moderator. I'm happy to see that spam is down and there is no need for me to help :)

Back