• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Consolidating ISA cards

bettablue

Veteran Member
Everyone her knows I have a beautiful 5150 computer, and that there a coulple of issues, but what I am looking into right now is replacing some of the upgrade cards with an AST SixPak or SixPack Plus.

My 5150 currently has a 384 kb memory board, a parallel/serial port card with one port each, and a single game controller. My CGA graphics adapter also has a single parallel port. I want to replace these cards so that I use as few cards as possible while adding an addoinal seraial port. I was looking at a few AST cards in which to use as a replacement for some of my esisting ISA expansions. Some of the AST cards I found have a "Plus" designation, while others don't.

The primary reason is to open some of the 5150's expansion bays, so when I complete the 5161 expansion unit rebuild, I can move some of my expansion cards, or operations from the 5150 to the expansion unit. I'll deal with those expansions as I am ready to expand.

I guess what I'm asking here is if AST or other manufacturer made a multi function card that supports CGA craphics along with memory expansion, parallel and serial ports and an on board clock. Which card would you recomend? Is there one model that is really better than the others?

Thanks again for reading

Not sure if it will help, but a cheap way could be getting a Multi-IO card (ones that were used in AT clones). Such cards usually have one parallel port, two serial ports, one joystick port, one floppy, and one IDE interface. While IDE won't work in 8-bit slot, all other controllers will.

Not sure if it will help, but a cheap way could be getting a Multi-IO card (ones that were used in AT clones). Such cards usually have one parallel port, two serial ports, one joystick port, one floppy, and one IDE interface. While IDE won't work in 8-bit slot, all other controllers will.

Nice, but I was hoping to stay with cards that are compatible with my existing hardware, including an IBM 5153 CGA monitor, Etc. However, having all of the additional ports would be nice, I still want something that is 100% compatible with my system.

Thanks though Sergey.

I don't remember any multifunction cards that included video; they were sold to businesses that already had the MDA they preferred. Drive controller equipped multifunction cards typically don't include a runtime clock so if you pick up one you still need a runtime clock card.

I think the AST Six Pack Plus is equivalent to your multifunction card; well, if your multifunction card includes a runtime clock. There was a Six Pack Premium which seems to have 2 serial port connectors plus could provide up to 2 MB of RAM (for EMS) if you could find the matching daughtercard.

I don't remember any multifunction cards that included video; they were sold to businesses that already had the MDA they preferred. Drive controller equipped multifunction cards typically don't include a runtime clock so if you pick up one you still need a runtime clock card.

I think the AST Six Pack Plus is equivalent to your multifunction card; well, if your multifunction card includes a runtime clock. There was a Six Pack Premium which seems to have 2 serial port connectors plus could provide up to 2 MB of RAM (for EMS) if you could find the matching daughtercard.

Thanks again. Hope this helps. Since purchasing my 5150 and getting another 5160 and rebuilding one more 5150 for a friend, I have run across several multi cards that have mono graphics support. I was just hoping to find one that would also support CGA color.

Don't know if everyone else is aware of this, but back in the day, I had installed an IDE hard drive into my 8088 Kay Pro PC. Originally the computer had a Seagate ST-225 hard drive, with a WDC MFM / RLL controller card (also was the I/O, serial port, parallel port card).

I haven't used the computer in over a decade, and as it sits, it now has that old stuff back in it (actually has two Seagate ST-225 drives in it now).

In any case, I remember waaay back in the day, we bought some 8-bit IDE controller card from MicroCenter in Vienna Virginia. Basically, it was an 8-bit card, and it had a standard IDE port on it. It wasn't very long, not much longer than a standard 8-bit modem card (barely went past the length of the actual 8-bit ISA slot). Only distinguishing features I can think of was that it had a seperate large 4-pronged (Molex?) power connector on it... I don't even remember if I actually had anything plugged into that either.

The card had it's own EPROM or BIOS or whatever. It came with some configuration software that configured the BIOS on the card. Once I configured it, the computer just booted up with that IDE hard drive from there on out.

I think I had like some huge full-height (single 5.25" height) 3.5" Seagate drive that was only 40mbs... but that was twice what I had on my Seagate ST-225 and was worlds faster.

I don't know if I still have the card, something tells me I tossed it during bulk pickup when I started getting rid of all my crap. I was getting married, and really didn't want any crap in my new house. I threw out or sold a bunch of crap. I moved into my new house with three computers, my Pentium 3, a KayPro, and a Leading Edge 386. The latter of the two I put in storage with my parents stuff and haven't seen for a decade.

Anyway...

One of the versions of the AST sixpak plus has a serial port, game port, and paralell port along with the memory upgrade. It came in both short and long versions and is AST Part Number 201177-004.

"SixPakPlus (Type 4) AST Part Number 201177-004

The SixPakPlus is a multi-function memory expansion board designed for use
with the IBM PC, XT, and 100% compatibles running at 4.77 MHz. In it's
standard configuration, it comes with anywhere between 64K and 384K of RAM
using industry standard 64K and/or 256K dynamic RAM chips; a Clock/Calendar; a
Serial Port configurable as COM1: or COM2:; and a Parallel Port configurable
as LPT1: or LPT2:. All memory installed on the SixPakPlus is designed to
expand a PC to it's 640K maximum. It does not support Extended or EMS/EEMS
type memory. There is an option available for adding a Game Port."

Last edited:
Fantastic! This verifies what I had read earlier to some extent. Do you know if the AST card you talk about comes with or without video support? If it comes without, it will be perfect!

I am also in the process of building an IBM 5161 expansion unit clone from an old IBM XT computer that's been sort of Frankensteined together with a 5150 case upper that I'm getting from another member in the forums, so I guess a lot of this could be just as easily skipped. Then I could remove one of the cards I added in, and move it to the expansion unit. That way, the computer will be kepk as closely as possible to the original invoice; which I have.

Thanks again RJBJR! I'll be searching for this card to see if it fits my needs.

One of the versions of the AST sixpak plus has a serial port, game port, and paralell port along with the memory upgrade. It came in both short and long versions and is AST Part Number 201177-004.

"SixPakPlus (Type 4) AST Part Number 201177-004

The SixPakPlus is a multi-function memory expansion board designed for use
with the IBM PC, XT, and 100% compatibles running at 4.77 MHz. In it's
standard configuration, it comes with anywhere between 64K and 384K of RAM
using industry standard 64K and/or 256K dynamic RAM chips; a Clock/Calendar; a
Serial Port configurable as COM1: or COM2:; and a Parallel Port configurable
as LPT1: or LPT2:. All memory installed on the SixPakPlus is designed to
expand a PC to it's 640K maximum. It does not support Extended or EMS/EEMS
type memory. There is an option available for adding a Game Port."

Attached is the text file for the version 4 sixpak plus from the AST BBS

Oops, forgot to add that none of the sixpak plus cards have video.

Last edited:
Awesome!!! You just made my day. I know exactly what I want. Thanks much!!!

I be happy, and headed to E-Bay.

Attached is the text file for the version 4 sixpak plus from the AST BBS

Oops, forgot to add that none of the sixpak plus cards have video.

Actually, I be very happy, and didn't need to head over to E-Bay after all. I purchased the AST Six-Pack Plus card (Long version) for a very nominal fee from RJBJR, who also pre-configured the card so it will be as close to drop in as possible. I did have a small issue with missing cables, but tha too is being resolved, and now that gottalottastuff is providing an adapter plate, it will be a super clean instalation. Once everything arrives I'll get it all put together. I'm just waiting for these and my floppy drive to come back from Chuck(G) so I can open the computer and get everything replaced and installed. That will leave me the ONE expansion port I need for the extender card for the 5161 Expansion Unit I am also in the process of building.

RJBJR, gotta' and Chuck(G), Thanks to you and all of the others here. I seem to have made a lot of friends over the last 10 months or so, and my IBM is definitely all the better for it.

Thanks again.

Awesome!!! You just made my day. I know exactly what I want. Thanks much!!!

I be happy, and headed to E-Bay.

Sorry, I had to update this post. The cables will also be coming from RJBJR. So the only thing I'll really need to do is combine the parellel and game controller ports onto one expansion bay cover that has the mounting for them. I am getting that cover from gottlottastuff. So yeah, the AST will be a drop in install once that bit of work is done. Then I'll be actively buying up the parts I need for the expansion unit. Me AND my IBM will be happy.

Once I have the AST installed, I'll have a 384 Kb memory board, combo parallel/serial card, and a game controller card available for sale pr trade. As I mentioned in another post, I'll be taking pictures of the upgrade as we go along.

Actually, I be very happy, and didn't need to head over to E-Bay after all. I purchased the AST Six-Pack Plus card (Long version) for a very nominal fee from RJBJR, who also pre-configured the card so it will be as close to drop in as possible. I did have a small issue with missing cables, but tha too is being resolved, and now that gottalottastuff is providing an adapter plate, it will be a super clean instalation. Once everything arrives I'll get it all put together. I'm just waiting for these and my floppy drive to come back from Chuck(G) so I can open the computer and get everything replaced and installed. That will leave me the ONE expansion port I need for the extender card for the 5161 Expansion Unit I am also in the process of building.

RJBJR, gotta' and Chuck(G), Thanks to you and all of the others here. I seem to have made a lot of friends over the last 10 months or so, and my IBM is definitely all the better for it.

Thanks again.

Back