• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Testing an Intel N80186

iulianv

Experienced Member
Was there any "general use", "PC AT style", mainboard manufactured that can make use of an 80186 CPU? Or should I stick to looking for cards (like I/O controllers) that have it socketed? Also, what frequency does a PLCC N80186 '78'82 run at? There are no other markings that could suggest speed...

The 80186 was used in several "PC-ish" (I hesitate to say "compatible", because in this case, it's a relative term). Perhaps the best known example is the Tandy 2000, but there were several others. Because of the dates, I'm guessing that you've got an 8MHz chip.

One thing that made the 80186 an attractive chip was that it required fewer support chips--it integrated several peripherals (timer, interrupt controller, DMA) in the same package. Unfortunately, these peripherals are not software-compatible with the 8086 support chips (e.g. 8254, 8237, 8259), so versions of MS-DOS supplied were strictly custom versions.

Was there any "general use", "PC AT style", mainboard manufactured that can make use of an 80186 CPU? Or should I stick to looking for cards (like I/O controllers) that have it socketed? Also, what frequency does a PLCC N80186 '78'82 run at? There are no other markings that could suggest speed...

Yes, but you'll need divine intervention to get your hands on it (and thus far it hasn't even worked for moi). Computer Products United in California used to manufacture an actual "100%" compatilbe 80186 based peecee. God how I want one.

Other then that, the next best bet is an Ampro Little Board PC. The earlier version (and, o man, not even the V40 based one I own, no respect) used a '186. There were many many SBCs or controller that utilized it. In fact the vast bulk of 80186s found their homes in industrial type controllers. There was even a manufacturer in Hauppauge, NY, off of Veteran's Highway that made them. There were many though. I own none. Maybe they're all still in service and don't turn up w/any regularity. It's a great issue for research and investimugation. But I'm busy w/other things at the moment.

Next up is the (OOPS!) 80188 based Radio Electronics RE-Robot brain board, that could be built from plans, or ordered pre-built from Vesta Technologies. Sorry, had to throw that in. Another forum user (WHO ALWAYS TAKES HIS SWEET TIME ANSWERING MY E-MAILS) and I are conspiring to take over the EU via his RE Robot and the one I endeavor to build. The EU is in rough shape in case you haven't heard, so it won't take much more then a couple of clunky robots to do it.

AST and also numerous others manufactured high speed "4 port" serial cards. I have a couple. Somewhere. These use the 186. So does the original PC Turbo by Orchid. I have a couple of those too. Somewhere.

My Vermont Microsystems uses, oops again, an 80188. It's an IBM PGC clone. It's a rare find. Beautiful to behold. I used to use it for whatever reason as the graphics card in on old pentium MMX box, along w/my IBM 5175 as an imaging box. I sold the monitor and card, but still have a non working 5175. It would be nice to get that working.

The HP handhelds used cmos versions of the 186 IIRC. I seem to remember some other sub notebooks using it, perhaps the IBM PC Radio. I have 2, I should know. You'd think.

As for microcomputers, the T2K was already mentioned. The Mindset, Televideo Personal Mini, Northstar Dimension, Burroughs Icon, Research Machines NIMBUS (UK), and others. If you want a broken Tandy 2000, I have one already boxed up. For shipping (from 08005). It's a mess, but it deserves a new life. Chances are it needs more then just a working cpu. In the event yours works. The offer stands though.

I don't personally know of any computers that used the 80188. Anyone? I do fully intend to build an RE-Robot brain (not necessarily the robot, would rather retrofit a HERO-1 w/that board). I used to actually have the artwork Gernsback sent me many years ago, but discarded it like a fool. You still have it in diminutive size in the magazine articles though. Gernsback published a few comic books back in the 40s. One (Wonderworld Comics IIRC - nope, googled, actually Superworld Comics) featured drawn (not painted) artwork by Frank Paul, who painted the artwork for the cover of Marvel Comics #1. A little bit of trivia there.

The '186 is currently available in versions up to 40mhz. Check Digi-key.com

Last edited:
It should also be mentioned that Intel came out with other versions of the 80186 that differ in significant ways, such as the number and type of peripherals.

For example, the 80186EB has 2 UARTs with baud rate generator, and 2 8-bit parallel I/O ports, but no DMA controller (although it does have a DRAM refresh generator). There is also an 80186EC that adds the DMA controller back in, with 4 DMA channels instead of 2, and still keeps the refresh controller. A cascaded 8259 DMA controller and a watchdog timer is also added in.

So not all 80186s are created equal.

Other then that, the next best bet is an Ampro Little Board PC. The earlier version (and, o man, not even the V40 based one I own, no respect) used a '186. There were many many SBCs or controller that utilized it. In fact the vast bulk of 80186s found their homes in industrial type controllers. There was even a manufacturer in Hauppauge, NY, off of Veteran's Highway that made them. There were many though. I own none. Maybe they're all still in service and don't turn up w/any regularity.

I have the V40 version of the Little Board/PC. It is the only system I've ever seen which actually uses the SysReq key -- to bring up the BIOS settings screen. It also has a really neat video card which can do scan-doubled 640x400 CGA.

can you supply a picture of the video card please. Either post it here if you still can, or e-mail me (chrism3667(at)yahoo(dot)com. AAMOF if you have it mounted or installed in something, I'd like to see your whole setup.

I think I may have to correct you though. It'll do scan doubled CGA, but likely not 400 lines (addressable). I mean it's certainly possible, but I don't recall the card having that capability (I could be wrong though). In any event, are you using a multiscanning monitor, or a fixed frequency 400 line monitor to watch it?

It should also be mentioned that Intel came out with other versions of the 80186 that differ in significant ways, such as the number and type of peripherals.

Oh yeah well I can do better then that. There was a German company who built an 80187. Nyeh.

I have a textbook that focuses entirely on the 80188EB. I'm surprised to hear what you're telling me, but for all I know it's accurate. Some of the integrated peripherals weren't "IBM compatible", and in units like the Tandy 2000 at least, weren't used (very few anyway). I'm surprised to hear there were versions w/o DMA capability, but depending on what it was used for, it may not have been needed. I'm thinking that many industrial uses could have gotten by w/much less in terms of cpu capability, but used it because the supply wasn't going anywhere, and it was in a broad sense object code compatible w/peecees. But what do I know.

Hello Sir!

I'm so happy I found a former employee of Computer Products United! I'm trying to track down information, or hardware even (the stuff that flies through the window unimpeded!) regarding a product they sold at least from 1989-90. It was, to my knowledge, in fact, the only "100% compatible" motherboard/computer based on the Intel 80186 microprocessor. Lots of 186s were used in "pseudo-compatibles" and industrial controllers, but to my knowledge CPU made the only desktop. If you can help me out I would so so appreciate it. My ultimate goal is own one of these boxes or even the motherboard, but it's a terrible long shot I'm sure you'd agree. Thanks in advance for any assistance you'd be able to provide (incidentally I hear that some companies bury their computers and stuff out back. If you happen to know the exact location of any buried components, a detailed map would be helpful. I swear I won't tell anyone else. I'm not a resident of California, but I'll be sure and bring a shovel w/me when I get on the plane! Or maybe the bus). Sincerely - Chris Keegan

Oh yeah well I can do better then that. There was a German company who built an 80187. Nyeh.

Some of the integrated peripherals weren't "IBM compatible", and in units like the Tandy 2000 at least, weren't used (very few anyway). I'm surprised to hear there were versions w/o DMA capability, but depending on what it was used for, it may not have been needed.

I don't know what the 80187 has to do with this, but Intel also made an 80C187. (as well as an 80C186). My sense is that it was never very popular.

The -EB doesn't have a DMA controller--check the datasheet--something had to give for the added peripherals. The -EC adds back the DMA controller and cascaded 8259-type ICUs, but it's also available only in 100-pin packages.

However, my warning was that dropping an 80186 (or 80C186) -EB into something that expects an 80186 is probably gong to lead to disappointment.

(BTW, I was working with the 80186 before Intel released it for production--some of the bugs in the early steppings were really bizarre).

I suspect that the 80188 turned out to be more popular than the 80186 in terms of embedded applications. They were used in modems, tape drives...

Hello Sir!

I'm so happy I found a former employee of Computer Products United! I'm trying to track down information, or hardware even (the stuff that flies through the window unimpeded!) regarding a product they sold at least from 1989-90. It was, to my knowledge, in fact, the only "100% compatible" motherboard/computer based on the Intel 80186 microprocessor. Lots of 186s were used in "pseudo-compatibles" and industrial controllers, but to my knowledge CPU made the only desktop. If you can help me out I would so so appreciate it. My ultimate goal is own one of these boxes or even the motherboard, but it's a terrible long shot I'm sure you'd agree. Thanks in advance for any assistance you'd be able to provide (incidentally I hear that some companies bury their computers and stuff out back. If you happen to know the exact location of any buried components, a detailed map would be helpful. I swear I won't tell anyone else. I'm not a resident of California, but I'll be sure and bring a shovel w/me when I get on the plane! Or maybe the bus). Sincerely - Chris Keegan

"Sorry. I do not know anyone still have 80186 machine!"

Chuck, what type of work did you do w/the 186/188? Did you design sbc boards or any part? When I said embedded (and I realize that can sometimes encompass a broad range of systems) I meant something that would typically be used to control an external appliance of sorts. My usage wouldn't take into account peripheral devices. The reason I ask is because you really never see true embedded controllers based on the 186/188. I never did anyway. Curious if you had anything to do w/that end of the market.

No, initially it was part of a complete computer system, sharing the same board with an 80286.

Finding 80188 and 80186s isn't hard. Look at, for example, any USR Courier modem, Cipher 995 tape drive, or some of the auto tape clusters. I never just throw something out if it has electronics in it--you can find the darnedest stuff while looking. For example 90's Panasonic laser printers had a variety of interesting CPUs, from Moto 68K to NS16032. A fax box I have here uses a NEC V40. The 80188/80186 was a perfect high-end embedded controller--you needed very little in the way of support chips.

and what was the function of the 81086? You're jogging some part of my memory that recounts something you're discussed on classiccmp some years back. IINM.

did that board have an animal's name (damned everything is on the tip of my tongue lately). I want to say Ferret or Peacock, but maybe I should just shut up.

Back