• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BIOS hangs with new VLB IDE card enabled

platatomi

Experienced Member
Just received this brand new VLB multi-io card, and installed it into my computer. The problem I am having is that when the VL-IDE port is enabled and that device is set to master, the BIOS hangs and will not boot anything. Otherwise, everything else works great. What might be causing this?

Just received this brand new VLB multi-io card, and installed it into my computer. The problem I am having is that when the VL-IDE port is enabled and that device is set to master, the BIOS hangs and will not boot anything. Otherwise, everything else works great. What might be causing this?

A little more info please. What type mobo? There may be a BIOS setting to control that VLB slot. I have have a particular mobo where that it true.

What is the CPU-Clockrate on your Board?

How many VLB-Cards are inserted?

The VLB works with the same speed as the CPU-Bus-Speed. The optimal VLB-Speed is 33MHz. Some cards don't like it faster. On the Mainboard is a jumper to set waitstates on the VLB. Particulary the 486DX-50 are extreme problematic for the VLB becauser of its high busspeed ( 50 MHz ).

A little more info please. What type mobo? There may be a BIOS setting to control that VLB slot. I have have a particular mobo where that it true.

That or a jumper to enable VLB on the motherboard itself.

Back