• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help with low level formatting...

pad0

Hi everyone!
I have an old Olivetti M24 (a clone of AT&T 6300). It has a 10meg MFM hard drive (Tandon I suppose), and running Norton Disk Doctor it showed some bad sectors.
I thought it was time to do a low level format, but I don't have any idea on how to get into the HD controller's bios (after googling around i figured out that my controller is a DTC 5150 BX) and run the utility to do the LLF (the debug method working with some WD controllers didn't work for me...). I tried also with a simple format from DOS, but it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone with some ideas?
Thanks in advance!

You have two choices--you can install a standard DTC BXD ROM (make sure that jumpers are on W17 and W18 ) and enable it and use the debug method . The other choice is to load the System Diagnostics diskette and follow the procedure given in the System Maintenance Manual. The not-so-obvious thing is that when you get the "Do you want to continue?" the response is something like "1234" and not "y". Go figure.

And the service docs are available from Olivetti M24 as well as bitsavers.org. Note that the M24 site has lots of good stuff--including the schematics for the system.

That Olivetti M24 site is very easy to use, I had to dig some on that NCR website but was suprised when it actually worked.

Thank you so much, guys! You really saved my day! I solved downloading the diagnostic tool via NCR site (awesome!).
I already knew the M24 vze site, but I wasn't able to write the diagnostic .img file to a floppy... Same problem with AT&T 6300 shrine site which also provides diskette images for diagnostic tool...

As far as you know, are these files written in a non-standard format? I even tried many programs to write these images (rawwrite, img2dsk...)
Thanks!

PS. about the "1234" answer on the prompt... LOL!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I have an old Olivetti M24 (a clone of AT&T 6300). It has a 10meg MFM hard drive (Tandon I suppose), and running Norton Disk Doctor it showed some bad sectors.
I thought it was time to do a low level format, but I don't have any idea on how to get into the HD controller's bios (after googling around i figured out that my controller is a DTC 5150 BX) and run the utility to do the LLF (the debug method working with some WD controllers didn't work for me...). I tried also with a simple format from DOS, but it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone with some ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Why, I just did this a weekend ago! Here's where I documented the process: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...-lists-supposed-to-work&highlight=defect+list

For the AT&T PC 6300 you'll need the Hard Drive Utility diskette. I could have sworn this diskette was at the shrine at https://sites.google.com/site/att6300shrine/Home but it doesn't appear to be there. I will dump all of my 6300-related disks and put them online for you tonight.

When you LLF the drive, make sure you follow the procedure in my first link -- definitely enter the defect list and definitely use the option to "format defect list sectors" so that they can be locked out permanently.

I already knew the M24 vze site, but I wasn't able to write the diagnostic .img file to a floppy... Same problem with AT&T 6300 shrine site which also provides diskette images for diagnostic tool... As far as you know, are these files written in a non-standard format? I even tried many programs to write these images (rawwrite, img2dsk...

The files on the shrine site are just raw 360K disk dumps: 512-byte sectors, both heads, 9 sectors per track, 40 tracks per disk. All floppy utils should be able to write the disks. I tested the AT&T DOS 3.3 distro on the shrine myself so I'm not sure what trouble you ran into or why the NCR-downloaded files worked.

When I dump my 6300 disks tonight I'll write a few back to make sure they work.

I will dump all of my 6300-related disks and put them online for you tonight.

Dumped and verified! You can pick them up here if you like: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Hardware/ATT/6300

I also included disk2img and img2dsk, and pkzip and pkunzip, and a readme file that describes the contents, how they were dumped, and how to reconstruct them.

I'd update the 6300 Shrine, except I don't have administrative access to it any more.

Back