• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to make a hard sector floppy disk?

smp

Veteran Member
Hello all,

I have been considering buying a Northstar S-100 floppy disk controller that is currently for sale on eBay.

My problem is that I do not have any hard sector 5.25 inch floppy disks, and I am having tremendous difficulty finding any at all.

I heard that there may be a thread here on how to make a hard sector floppy disk from a soft sector one. Is this true? If so, I would greatly appreciate a pointer to it. If the information lies elsewhere on the Internet, I would also love to get a pointer to it.

Thanks, in advance,
smp

Thanks very much again, Mike.
I have sent off a message to the company (Athana) named somewhere in the thread, too.
If I can get some hard sector diskettes from them, I'll post somewhere here that they are available, and if there is some sort of a minimum buy, I'll get them and post here if I have extras that others can pick up to recoup some of my investment.

smp

One quick comment about these controllers....I have found that not all of them work at this point. You might go through all of the hassle to get disks only find the controller does not work.

Hi All
I regret to say I just sold out of the remaining 10 sector hard punches
we made.
Unless we can find a cheap source of manufacture, I don't think
we can make another batch. If there is a show of interest, I can look
into another run but we'd need at least 20 to 30 orders to keep the
cost down.
The last batch cost $35 to make.
You need to use 360K disk ( not 1.2M ) but still, punch
more than 20 disk from ones stash and it is worth doing.
Also, I do still have 3 ea 16 hole punches if anyone is
interested.
Dwight

Back