• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cache module issue with an HP Vectra VE 5/xx

iulianv

Experienced Member
I have a Pentium-based HP Vectra VE system whose performance I'm trying to "maximize" - it originally came with a 75 MHz CPU, but since the mainboard has jumpers to choose from 50, 60 and 66 MHz FSB settings, as well as a dip-switch to up the multi from 1.5 to 2, it now happily runs as a "Vectra VE 5/132" system with its new 133 MHz Pentium.

The one thing I'm having trouble with is upgrading it with a COAST cache module - it didn't came with one (it has a "terminator" instead, but it works just as well without it), and i haven't found the exact HP part-number yet (D3403A / 5063-7055). However, I found two pieces of this one (according to the info there, it should work):

http://www.printerworks.com/HP-Parts/HP_Cache_Module_D3659-63002.htm

Now, turning on the system with the module plugged in results in... well, almost nothing - no lit LEDs, no PSU fan spinning, nothing but a ticking sound that seems to come from the hard-drive, it's almost as if nothing gets any power anymore; I tried several other COAST modules, and almost all of them would give the same result (two of them allowed the system to power on, but nothing would show up on the monitor, and the cache module would get pretty hot pretty soon, so I assumed they were faulty).

Is it possible that a cache module affect a mainboard so seriously? Or, can the mainboard be that sensitive to the COAST brand/model?

That one is a synchronous module. Maybe you should use an asynchronous one. Some Vectra motherboards won't work with synchronous modules. Check the Technical Reference Guide (assuming yours is an HP Vectra VE 5/xxx series 2) at hp site. Maybe you should check this too.

Don't know if this helps anyone, but I went digging in my DIMM hellbox and found a 0960-0935 COAST module (512K, sync) from a Vectra VL. If anyone needs it, they can have it for shipping...

Back