• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BYT-8 - How rare?

Soupwizard

Experienced Member
I see the vintage computer guy has a Byt-8 up on ebay. Normally his prices have me shaking my head, but on this one - I've never seen a Byt-8, and only recently heard of them. It's a S-100 computer made by the company that ran the Byte Shop, and now that I'm living just down the road from where the first Byte Shop was in Mountain View, I have this irrational desire to acquire a Byt-8. But not $4K type irrational; is that a crazy price? Some things are rare enough to go that high.

Some links on the Byt-8 that I found:
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/byte-8/index.html
http://www.artsci.net/bill/first-computer/

And on some list I heard of a Byt-5 - what would that be?

Jeff

I recall them only from the BS ads--never seen in in the flesh. But then, there were lots of S-100 systems around.
I gave one away years ago; nothing special, generic 8 slot S100 IIRC, available with different front panels and also in kit form AFAIK. Still, ya never know what people would pay for one today...

Still got the MIT 8800 kicking around, but I haven't powered it up in perhaps 20 years. Tried to give it away back then, but nobody wanted it. I was using an Integrand box at the time.

I bought one some years ago for cheap. I have a partially-assembled kit.
thm_byte_BYT-8_img1.jpg

bd

Byte 8 computer sold by Olson Electronics

Byte 8 computer sold by Olson Electronics

A more common system with the Byt 8 boards (CPU, S100 backplane, front panel) was sold by Olson Electronics. The front panel looked like the Byte 8 with a full front panel but with the Olson logo added.

My "8080 Microcomputer" still runs CPM 1.4 with a Wameco floppy disk controller and Shugart SA400 floppies.

Olsen_8080_Microcomputer.jpg

A more common system with the Byt 8 boards (CPU, S100 backplane, front panel) was sold by Olson Electronics. The front panel looked like the Byte 8 with a full front panel but with the Olson logo added.

My "8080 Microcomputer" still runs CPM 1.4 with a Wameco floppy disk controller and Shugart SA400 floppies.

View attachment 8303

That looks cool... I don't suppose you're in the SF Bay area and want to sell it :) Either way, thanks for the info, I've added it to my "Byt-8" file, maybe I'll run across one someday.

I recently went back into the attic and I found the theory of operation and schematic for the Byte-8 front panel. This is the version I own, with the many switches and lights, not the almost blank panel version. Google searches finds many copies of the Byte 8 CPU board docs, but I have failed to find anyone (else) with the front panel section of the docs. In the interest of preservation, I scanned the words and schematic into a PDF. If anyone is crazy enough to work on one of these, I am willing to share.

I would be cautious about buying anything from the vintagecomputermuseum Seller. Especially when you consider the prices he's trying to get. I'm fairly sure that's just a name the Seller uses as a marketing tool. I've had words with him, he doesn't know much about vintage computers, and he won't stand behind his ad descriptions.

I did some work on the Compupro System that he recently sold, and it was a collection of parts manufactured at different times that never came from the factory like that. Not surprising that the Owner is having some problems that I attribute to the mix-match nature. It's getting sorted out slowly, but it definitely was not a museum display quality sample when it first arrived. Examples of the challenges was the 2nd Generation chassis, with 1st Generation front panel, 1st Generation cover (screw holes did not line up with all of the holes in the chassis and the cover could not be fully secured as a result), and the wrong fan with the air being blown out instead of sucked in. I could of sworn that the cover in the eBay Photos was a correct color 2nd Generation part, but the cover on the computer when it arrived was the wrong color.

When I made inquires about the Compupro dual floppy disk with hard drive system that he has on eBay, I called his bluff on the condition, and he promptly blocked both the Buyer of the Compupro System and myself from sending him PMs or bidding on his auctions. I guess he didn't want messages from people who could see through his advertising claims.

Stuff is worth whatever a Buyer will pay for it. Good stuff with pedigree is worth more than stuff with no pedigree and no warranty. While many people play with old computers as a hobby, and as such don't want to sink much money into the stuff, other people are willing to pay whatever it takes to get the best example of the breed. Pay whatever you choose, just be careful about what you buy. Cheap is not a bargain if it don't work, and just because you pay a truckload of money doesn't mean that you will get quality either.

Still got the MIT 8800 kicking around, but I haven't powered it up in perhaps 20 years. Tried to give it away back then, but nobody wanted it. I was using an Integrand box at the time.

Integrand Research is still in business in the same place in Visalia(sp?), CA off the 99 Freeway today. I used to be a Integrand Dealer back in the day. They used to do everything inhouse. They built and potted the transformers, cut the sheet metal, made the motherboards, and painted the metal all in their own facility. Sadly, they haven't manufactured the S-100 product line in years. They specialize in PC enclosures and power supplies now. I was thinking about asking them if they would do a limited run of S-100 System Enclosures.

Integrand Research is still in business in the same place in Visalia(sp?), CA off the 99 Freeway today. I used to be a Integrand Dealer back in the day. They used to do everything inhouse. They built and potted the transformers, cut the sheet metal, made the motherboards, and painted the metal all in their own facility. Sadly, they haven't manufactured the S-100 product line in years. They specialize in PC enclosures and power supplies now. I was thinking about asking them if they would do a limited run of S-100 System Enclosures.

My 2nd big box S-100 system that I've had for quite a few years is built around an Integrand Model 800 chasis and powersupply. The thing is built like a tank..no thin sheet metal there..and it has a convenient carry handle on it's side. It has a Wameco backplane and assorted other boards in it, as well as an SA-400. The chasis layout is more like the Altair with the boards running along the front, but it's a heavy duty setup. The original builder purchased it in mid-1978.
Jeff

Hi
The system enclosure is the one piece remaining of the S100computers.com and N8VEM S-100 boards. You can build a complete system except for the enclosure. Making a case is much harder than it looks. If we could get something like that made reliably and inexpensive enough there could be a no-kidding S100computers.com & N8VEM S-100 full up system someday. I am hoping Vince's plan for IMSAI II goes though and maybe we can partner with him to fill in that last missing piece.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Sorry to say I have to post a correction to my previous post about Integrand Research.

I tried contacting the company, and it seems that they closed down, and a portion of their last products are being produced by another enclosure and power supply company located close to the old Integrand Research Factory.

Back