• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Toshiba 386 Laptop FDD (T3200SX, T5200 etc)

SpidersWeb

Veteran Member
After a 1.44Mb (or even a 720K maybe) drive to suit the above models.

It should have a 26 pin connector that flies out of the back of it, and be a dark grey colour.
Price dependant on condition/testing (if any).

Almost. It's the correct interface, but it's not high enough. Toshiba uses normal half-height desktop drives.

I could also manually wire in a normal 1.44 and spray paint it's bezel/flap, but getting an original part will save me so much time/hassle.

There is one on ebay at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Citizen-OSD...&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7327748724710817902

But there is no way I can spend that much on a floppy drive :S I got a replacement motherboard, video module, and riser card for $50 last week.

Early Sony 3½" drives used a 26-pin interface as well, but also used a separate power connector.

Some Tandy PC systems used a similar drive, but with the flex cable--and the pinout was different.

You may be best off by cobbling up your own interface cable.

There is one on ebay at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Citizen-OSD...&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7327748724710817902

But there is no way I can spend that much on a floppy drive :S I got a replacement motherboard, video module, and riser card for $50 last week.
Wiredforservice normally charges much more than anybody here thinks is reasonable for most of his items. I've been watching his stuff for quite a while. Hey, he takes offers. You just might get lucky. Can't hurt to try.

Yeah I have that as a backup option. I have everything to do this (except the paint and time).
Just putting feelers out in case someone has a T3200SX or T5200 with a dead screen or something lying around leaving some good parts :)

Not super urgent, have a 5150 and maybe a Compaq Portable 486C that need my attention this weekend.

Cheers Stone, will try, just worried my offer will be way too low, can't hurt as you say tho!

Yeah, but wrong colour :( More of a dark grey. Thanks for that though :)

I've found a drive to use which I pulled from another laptop - either a Zenith 286 or Atima 386, but it's the wrong colour (bright white).
So I do have a backup-drive in case I REALLY need to boot off floppy again, but I am still keen to find an original (without spending my life savings) - just to keep the machine working+complete.

?? What's the big deal? They don't even have front covers so if it's the same drive just swap the door & the button.

Actually that's a pretty good point, I'll check if it matches with the model I have. Trouble is they were made by a few different manufacturers which didn't all use the same clip mounts.
I just don't want to arrange purchase/shipping and find it doesn't quite match (or ask people to remove parts, and photograph them, and then expect a low price). May seem like I'm being a cheap ass but I've already spent almost $1000 on restoration items and international shipping in the last month.

I hear ya; only makes sense if it's exactly the same model. If I don't scrap my 3200 then I'll probably need one as well; most of the alternatives I've looked at aren't quite close enough, especially the button type and location.

Back