• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VGA card/IBM 5150 configuration

removed the vga card and the 5150 gets to floppy reading...

Could it be the card that requieres 80286 or later CPU?

WOW!!!!! I could manage to get the ATI EGA Wonder to work with a composite monitor (from an Apple //c go figure!):

IMG_0440.jpgIMG_0441.jpg

I'm really happy with this progress ... but .... i get no keyboard response. I thought it was working since i could get Ctrl-Alt-Del resets before, but now it does nothing...

still trying ... still waiting for help...

Thank you.

What did you change when the Oak VGA started to produce a display?

Other than your floppy controller and the VGA card, are any other cards installed?

...and leave the IRQ2 disabled.

removed the vga card and the 5150 gets to floppy reading...
Could it be the card that requieres 80286 or later CPU?

It's possible.

Another possibility. Video cards that contain an expansion BIOS, such as EGA and VGA cards, produce their own error beep patterns. For example, if an IBM EGA card detects a problem with itself (e.g. bad video RAM) during its self-initialisation, it produces the beep pattern of 1 long beep then 3 short beeps. Different EGA/VGA cards report errors in different ways. It might be that your OAK card indicates certain initialisation errors by continuous beeps. Seems unlikely to me (e.g. why continuous) but it is a possibility.

What did i change? I got the 8/16 bit jumper inverted so i was trying to make it work in a 16 bit bus ...

Similar happend with the ATI card since i didn't knew what side of the switch block was on/off, i set every on as off and vice/versa.

I'll take a look to the IRQ2 thing. I may have put the jumper in the wrong position...

getting back to my new keyboard problem, is there something that can be burned if i connect the keyboard to the cassette port. I think i did connect it that way...

Also, i tried an old keyboard with a switch to make it work as an XT/AT keyboard that didn't work. Using this type of keyboards can burn something inside the 5150?

Thank you.

I forgot to say that i have 3 cards installed in the 5150:
- video card
- AST SixPackPlus
- floppy card
Thank you.

The 5150 BIOS tests the keyboard by issuing a software reset to the keyboard. The BIOS then expects AA to be returned by the keyboard in response to the reset. Failure results in the BIOS displaying "301" on the screen. Are you seeing 301 before BASIC starts?

is there something that can be burned if i connect the keyboard to the cassette port. I think i did connect it that way...
I don't know. It would need some research (which would not include me repeating what you did on my 5150).

Also, i tried an old keyboard with a switch to make it work as an XT/AT keyboard ...
That's not clear. Do you mean that your other keyboard has a switch to enable it to be used as either an XT keyboard or an AT keyboard ?

it doesn't display error codes of any type before getting into basic. I even booted to basic without keyboard and still no error codes.

I don't know. It would need some research (which would not include me repeating what you did on my 5150).

That's not clear. Do you mean that your other keyboard has a switch to enable it to be used as either an XT keyboard or an AT keyboard ?

Exactly. It is a switchable XT/AT unbranded keyboard.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found what was wrong!!!! It happened to be that i was using the instructions for the BEHAVIOR TECH COMPUTER CORPORATION (stanson's web) vga card that i found to be identical to the card i have, but it turned that the IRQ2 and 8/16 bits jumpers are inverted (i mean that JP1 1-2 closed is IRQ2 not enabled as stated in my card). Well, it doesn't matter now and i'm not quite good at english and pictures are worth a lot of words:

IMG_0443.jpgIMG_0445.jpgIMG_0446.jpgIMG_0447.jpg

i'm really happy that the LCD screen worked. It means i won't have screen problems in the future as they are more durable than crt's.

You can check my new video at youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q05yjwJYUAg

As for the keyboard problem i think it must've been a setting issue in the ATI card.

Next steps:

- get a working 5,25 floppy with DOS
- get some software/games
- get an XTIDE card

Again, thank you all!!!

RATS!!!!

It was working flawlesly and then it started beeping again. I even managed to get a working copy of msdos 3.3, change the drives for 1/2" 5.25 and 3.5 drives (360 and 720 kb) that worked great.

It started beeping when i closed the case. Don't know if it was some kind of short circuit or just plain bad luck. I started with the case open for a couple of times then it went beeping no matter if the case is open or closed.

I know it is the VGA card that's having problems because the 5150 boots fine with the EGA Wonder (still can't get the keyboard to work with that video card installed...).

Could it be a faulty ram chip in the vga card? I wonder why it worked for a day only.

Again, any ideas welcome.

Thanks again.

Back