• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TI Home Computer - Just won one on eBay for 99 cent in the box!

twolazy

Veteran Member
Ok , so just won a TI99/a on ebay for .99 cents in the box. Hopefully be picking it up this weekend (live local, free shipping ftw!). I notice 2 cassette interface cables, but I don't see the power supply. I'm hoping its inside the box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11085448929...m1426.l2649&autorefresh=true&autorefresh=true

So what can I do once I get it just to test its functionality? I don't have any carts, and I know tape based software wasn't abundant. Guess I'll post more tomorrow or this weekend, when I pick up the unit. Who says there still aren't deals on eBay! :D

lol you suck. j/k good job, especially local (otherwise yeah, $1/free system woulda run ya $28 or whatever the shipping was). Anyway, it'll turn on still without any cartridge and display a multi-color TI logo surrounded with a bunch of color bars going around the screen to let you know it's working. The disks/games are really common/cheap and I would imagine craigslist, thrift stores, etc would probably fetch you one or two to test out for a buck or two a piece.

Most definitely I got lucky on this one. I tend to keep my out on local auctions. There is a healthkit I have my eye on too, but most likely won't purchase it. I seen some games whatnot on ebay, but was hoping someone here have at least 1 game or something, heck even a diagnostic or office program, in wav/mp3/flac etc format. Hrmm I'll have to do more searching then. Still pretty excited nonetheless, 99 cents in the box! Technically it's free, due to me having eBay bucks to spend from previous purchases. Woot, whole 3.58 Left to spend >.<

Anyone know if sega/atari controllers will work on a TI? I notice it has the same connector as atari and sega...

Anyways found a treasure trove of information, if anyone else is interested, even found a few homebrew cassette titles already :thumbsup:
http://chung.yikes.com/~leonard/mirrors/ti99/
and
http://www.99er.net

Last edited:
Straight away, the Atari/Sega controller won't work. It's a 2-player system and both joysticks are run into the one port, so you'd need a splitter/adapter to make the 2600 joysticks work. Not sure at all about the Sega controllers, if they will work at all or not.

The splitter/adapter is easy enough to make if you want, and they are pretty cheap on ebay if you want to buy one.

Excellent haul, a boxed TI for a dollar, basically? Nice. There aren't any local auctions like that here. The ham radio auctions are pretty good but there is hardly ever any computer stuff of any kind there.

So what can I do once I get it just to test its functionality?

You need a composite monitor and cable OR TV and RF modulator, to be able to see/hear what you do.

The A/C adapter and RF modulator originally came in the box.

There is a built-in BASIC interpreter which can be used to verify operation without a module.

There are some TI die-hards in the Chicago area, including a faire in November.

It's hard selling TI99 systems these days. There's just so many of them that even boxed, they are less valueable than loose Commodore 64 systems. It's the accessories like the speech synth, expansion cabinet, and cartridges that make the money.

I have a spare TI-99/4A I can sell if anyone's interested; I bought two complete systems but only need one. I'd like to get more than 99 cents for it, but it does include the original box and literature, a working power supply, speech synthesizer, and RF modulator. I'll also throw in a few cartridges and a semi-broken pair of TI joysticks. It is the original black/silver 99/4A, not the later beige version.

What would you want for all the extras, minus the actual system? Not looking to invest a ton into it, but would be nice to have a semi-complete system! :D

So I picked the unit up today, and it was more complete then the auction showed! Has all manuals, bags, cables, power pack, even spare keyboard overlays and the original receipt. Best part, the unit is MINT! Not a single scratch, no smoothing of keys, looks brand spanking new! I so scored on this one! Even still has that early 80s smell.... ahhhhhh :D

ti99a.jpg

Nice score. If you need any games, voice unit or joysticks I have a ton. Will sell them cheap. Let me know. I got 12 ti99's in a lot a year ago :)

Do you happen to have a floppy interface by chance? If not still need the voice module and maybe a joystick. Planning on making an atari to TI adapter, already found the pinouts. From what I read the TI joysticks leave alot to be desired, and the atari's are multitudes better. :D

As for games, I was hoping on finding a floppy interface, but ya I should invest in a few carts.

Last edited:
Floppy interface, no. The rest yes. Send me a list of games you want and i'll see what I have left.

Here are most the games I would be interested in, not all but a few be nice :D

[Sega Titles]
Battlezone
Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom
Galaxian
Star Trek: SOS

[Non Sega]
M*A*S*H
Joust
Donkey Kong
Pole Position
choplifter
frogger
moon patrol
red baron

yahtzee * Don't really want it but I have the original manual in near mint for it so might as well check xD

$187.24

For the base unit and extended warranty, plus tax
Dated July 18, 1983
Computech Evanston IL

Guess the original owner got a good deal! Considering around that time most the stock were the beige models... :O

There were some coupons online recently for Atari. Don't know if they are still current but always fun to add to the collection with good deals.

Cheap hobbies at great! Congrats on the find.

Back