• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel Above Board 8-bit Drivers

nestor

Veteran Member
I recently purchased an Intel Above Board card. It is exactly like this:

aboveboard8.jpg

I tried a bunch of Above Board drivers available on the net (most are for the AT or 286 model) but none recognizes the card. Anyone has the correct drivers?

This took me a bit more effort then expected due to my 6300 deciding to have a spat with its hard drive.

Check on Intel's website for "above board". I believe ABOVE.EXE is the one you want, though it might be ABISA.EXE.
My old PC-DOS boot disk has a driver on it by the name EMM5.SYS that detects and checks all 2Mb.
Off to give the 6300 a few dirty looks and check it over.

These drivers ABOVE.EXE and ABISA.EXE were the first I tried, but they can't find the card. Anyone with this exact Above Board had success using these drivers?

2011_11_16_03392.jpg

hello
talking about Above boards - driver/setup for this type ?
did try one old SETBOARD.EXE but it did not work ...
- the aboveboard (with old setboard) did not find any RAM/chip's in the sockets ???
/cimonvg

I recently bought the above board 8 brand new in the box, opened it up, it has 2 megs on board, plugged it into
a IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086, and it works like a charm, now all I need is the other 6 megs to feel complete :)

I recently bought the above board 8 brand new in the box, opened it up, it has 2 megs on board, plugged it into
a IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086, and it works like a charm, now all I need is the other 6 megs to feel complete :)

If you ever find a cheap source for the RAM, please let me/us know -- Every way I try to price out the remaining 6MB, it comes to over $100 which is just a bit too steep. I remember about 15 years ago these chips were $0.25 each, now they're something stupid like $2.

If you ever find a cheap source for the RAM, please let me/us know -- Every way I try to price out the remaining 6MB, it comes to over $100 which is just a bit too steep. I remember about 15 years ago these chips were $0.25 each, now they're something stupid like $2.

I've been looking, like you said prices are a bit high for worthless memory, I figured there would be so much of this stuff out there that people would be giving it away.

In an IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086 with lets say that full 8 megs of memory, call me nuts, but what software could be installed to take any advantage of it?

In an IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086 with lets say that full 8 megs of memory, call me nuts, but what software could be installed to take any advantage of it?

A disk cache is helpful when you're working with lots of file management. My development IDE (Turbo Pascal) uses EMS to make life easier writing and debugging large programs. Of course, LIM has Lotus in it so any Lotus software like 1-2-3 would use it. Geoworks Ensemble runs like a dream if you give it that much memory (although it runs very well without it too).

In terms of games, most games that require EMS also require a 386, so I wouldn't look there.

I wasn't sure how much memory the thing was going to come with, but once opened it had 2 megs of panasonic memory chips installed.

A disk cache is helpful when you're working with lots of file management. My development IDE (Turbo Pascal) uses EMS to make life easier writing and debugging large programs. Of course, LIM has Lotus in it so any Lotus software like 1-2-3 would use it. Geoworks Ensemble runs like a dream if you give it that much memory (although it runs very well without it too).

In terms of games, most games that require EMS also require a 386, so I wouldn't look there.

Geoworks sounds interesting to try out, since I never actually used it, I'm one of them smuchks who's first GUI was Windows 2.01, LOOK REVERSI!! GAG

How do you put 8 MB in this card? It has 8 banks and it supports 4164 and 41256 ICs...

Sorry to bring this up, but you guys seem to know a lot about the Above Boards. I get a memory error in my above board. It's 16bit version. I don't know what the exact model is. There is no I/O on it, it's just a Memory card.
I am getting a Memory error in it with my IBM AT, I need the manual to help diagnose this. It looks like this one in the picture.

aboveboard.jpg

Back