• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel Above Board 8-bit Drivers

Hi folks, I think I got a 1985 Intel Above Board PS/PC for XT class computers with 8-bit slots.

Intel Above PS-PC low quality.jpg

It works: EMM.SYS detects the memory; TESTAB.EXE tests it successfully.

But SETBOARD.EXE doesn't recognize it. May be 1985 board doesn't have eeprom?

And there are no tools to get or set date/time in clock chip on the board.

I think that two copies of Above Board drivers from 1989 and 1991 are too new for my card. I hope someone may have an older version that supports Above Board PS/PC. If you do, please kindly share it with me.

That's not an Intel Above Board in the picture; it's a fairly standard 384k + clock + serial + parallel multi-function board. No drivers are needed to use that board, although ensuring the dip switches/jumpers/whatever are configured properly for the system is usually essential.

If that's the board you meant, then I'm curious what is in your system that is allowing EMM.SYS and TESTAB.EXE to run successfully...

Thank you for your quick reply. I assure you it is Intel Above Board PS/PC (PS = Parallel/Serial, PC = 8 bit isa). If there is some way to upload a high quality picture, you would see it too.

Here is the info on stason.

Here is the photo of emm.sys Rev C on bootup:

emm-sys-rev-c.jpg

And this is from the TESTAB.EXE. I since replaced bad chip and it now passes ok.

TESTAB.jpg

Geoworks sounds interesting to try out, since I never actually used it, I'm one of them smuchks who's first GUI was Windows 2.01, LOOK REVERSI!! GAG

Geoworks is legitimately pretty great. It's the primary desktop OS on my Tandy 2500SX/20, with a Laserjet 1100 attached. I've actually been using it as a "primary" office computer for about a month as a sort of "How usable IS this old computer, really?" experiment.

That's not an Intel Above Board in the picture; it's a fairly standard 384k + clock + serial + parallel multi-function board.

Here is a picture from InfoWorld magazine from December 17, 1987:

infoworld-dec17-1987-low-quality.jpg

For a better quality picture and other details, you can read this article, the picture is on page 58.

The clock chip on this card is OKI m6242. A datasheet is easy to find. If I don't find programs to get/set date/time in Intel Above Board PS/PC, I'll try to find the ports myself and see if I can figure out how to read / write the registers.

Back