• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Showing off my first (8-bit) Commodore

jac_goudsmit

Experienced Member
In 1978 or so when I was 10 or 11, I saw the PET for the first time at a friend's house. He didn't let me touch it or even come close to it. Then in 1979 I started high school and found out they had a PET-2001, and a little later also a 4032 and an 8032.

I learned to type on the chiclet keyboard (and I was pretty frustrated later on when we got our first IBM PC at home where you had to use Shift to get to all the useful characters above the QWERTY row :) but my favorite computer in school was the 4032 because of course the keyboard was a lot nicer than the 2001 and it had the graphics characters on it, unlike the 8032 (also: stupid 80 columns on the screen made the 8032 incompatible with a lot of software written for the other two). Even after the school got a Commodor 64 (much later), the 4032 remained my favorite because I knew it so well. Also, by now, a bunch of younger kids than me had started showing up in the computer lab and they favored the C64 so it was always in use.

Fast forward to 2012: I used to own two Amigas but when I emigrated from the Netherlands to the USA I had to let them go (ironic because my A3000 had an American power supply and needed a transformer to work at 230V). I never owned any 8-bit Commodore machines though they still have a warm place in my heart because they're the first computers I ever worked/played with. Then I saw this 4016 on eBay that kept not getting sold and kept getting relisted. Okay $300 is a lot of money for a machine that old, and there was only one picture, but it looked like it was in excellent state and it was shown with the BASIC 4.0 power-on message and 32K (not 16K) installed. So I figured hey, my birthday is coming up, and I'm working on this project to reproduce retro computers with a 6502 and a Propeller (http://www.propeddle.com) that I'll be selling at the Parallax Expo next week if all goes well, so this would be an awesome trip on memory lane and it might attract more attention at the Expo than just a couple of little bags with parts.

When I got it, it looked even more pristine than I expected:
2012-04-06_14-41-35_709.jpg
In fact it looks like it came straight off the production line. Even the screws to keep the lid down were still there. I had never seen that before!
2012-04-06_14-42-40_707.jpg
I expected that it would need some dusting but this was absolutely the cleanest computer I had ever seen (bar the ones that were brand new). It was even cleaner than the computers at school 32 years ago, and that's when they were new! Clearly this one hadn't been used much. So I decided to leave it as it is: the pictures show the dust levels pretty much the way I got it.

This is an early 4000 series motherboard (not a "FAT40"), so there is no CRT controller: video is generated with TTL IC's. The 32K of RAM is factory installed (all RAM chips have the same date code) which is kinda weird: I'd expect that a 4016 would have 16K from the factory, and if there's more it would be an aftermarket addition.
IMG_0742.jpg
The IC's are all dated 1980, except for the ROMs: they're from 1981. Maybe the original owner updated the ROMs.
IMG_0745.jpg

(Continued)

Attachments

• Ap1JBcbCQAA5FHR.jpg
    Ap1JBcbCQAA5FHR.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1
I decided because it was so clean I would take the plunge and just boot it up to see what would happen. It worked! I entered a short BASIC program to test the RAM (not a very thorough test, I agree; and yes I know those spaces between keywords are a waste of memory :)) and after 20 minutes or so it finished successfully.
2012-04-06_14-58-43_35.jpg
Then I decided to check out the monitor electronics and this turned out to be the cleanest high-voltage area I've ever seen (again: barring new electronics). Unfortunately it also showed that there was some transport damage after all: the corner of the circuit board near the flyback transformer had broken off in transport. Clearly this had happened on its last trip because the debris was still in the monitor compartment. Oh well. That's probably an easy fix.
2012-04-06_15-46-38_255.jpg
EDIT: Here's a picture of the back panel. Looks like a pretty low serial number. I wonder what the story is behind this machine...
IMG_0748.jpg
I'm very lucky to find this machine in such a good state; now I'll need a storage device like the PetDisk. I've been thinking of buying an 8050 from eBay (a whole MEGABYTE per flippy diskette; they had one at my school) but the ones I've seen there lately all look as if they need a lot of work. Besides, I don't have any 5.25" floppies anyway (needless to say all the software I ever wrote for the 4032 doesn't exist anymore).

Thanks for watching!

===Jac

Last edited:
Hey, cool apparaat :) Mist er niet een zwarte plaat voorop met CBM?

Hmmm, Arizona? Er zijn slechtere plekken om te moeten wonen (Utrecht bijvoorbeeld hehe).

Denniske1976: Yes I think the CBM sticker is missing from the front. But there are not traces of glue left behind. Maybe the original owner took it off because they didn't want it to look like it had 16K when it had 32K. Or maybe it never had one (see also the low serial number in the pic I added to my previous posting). I guess I'll never know.

Maybe a real collector wouldn't want it without the sticker, but It doesn't take away any significant real value in my opinion.

Yes Arizona is nice this time of year (87F/31C outside today), but in the summer when the temperature goes over 110F/43C sometimes, I wish I was back in the Netherlands :)

Ik kom uit Eindhoven trouwens. Groetjes! :)

===Jac

Very nice PET! Really want a 40xx to play with soon, hope I can find one that nice.

Please do add it to the serial project (link below) when you get the time :)

Nice indeed! Perhaps someone replaced the main board at some time, which would explain the 16/32K discrepancy.

Denniske1976: Yes I think the CBM sticker is missing from the front. But there are not traces of glue left behind. Maybe the original owner took it off because they didn't want it to look like it had 16K when it had 32K. Or maybe it never had one (see also the low serial number in the pic I added to my previous posting). I guess I'll never know.

Maybe a real collector wouldn't want it without the sticker, but It doesn't take away any significant real value in my opinion.

Yes Arizona is nice this time of year (87F/31C outside today), but in the summer when the temperature goes over 110F/43C sometimes, I wish I was back in the Netherlands :)

Ik kom uit Eindhoven trouwens. Groetjes! :)

===Jac

Yes you're right: a missing face plate doesn't make it any less valuable and I have to admit I like the clean look Very much! :)

BTW: ik kom uit Valkenburg a/d Geul, dus ook een zuiderling ;-)

Very nice! I'm so glad you were able to get a nice PET. I'd highly recommend that you purchase the Toronto Pet User's Group Library CD. There's lots of great stuff there for your new PET.
Heather
On behalf of TPUG, thanks for the plug! ;-)

BTW, that looks like an optional ROM there in the A000 socket; might be interesting to know what it is... tried SYS40960?

I heard of TPUG but I didn't know they sell a CD. Definitely going to buy it, but I'm going to be 100% busy with my Propeddle project during the next few weeks.

I'm also buying a PetDisk; I sent an email to bitfixer.com but haven't heard back (yet).

I had already noticed the oddball ROM with the "33.33" sticker on it. I haven't seen many Commodore motherboards in person so I wasn't sure if it was factory-installed. I tried sys40960 when I noticed it, but the machine locked up so I put an item on my imaginary "to do" list to figure out if that's the address of the socket. I guess you answered that question, Skydivingirl :)

The machine was originally put on eBay at the same time as a (2031?) single disk drive and a printer. I wonder if the ROM is some kind of enhancement that only works with the disk drive attached. I'll eventually make a dump and compare it to the files on Zimmers.net to find out what it is, even though the hanging system might be a sign that the ROM is dead.

Incidentally, in the spirit of the season (today is Easter), I tried "WAIT6502,1" but it hangs the machine instead of showing the Microsoft Easter egg.

===Jac

PS By the way, speaking of user groups, do any of you Dutch folks know what happened to Pet Benelux Exchange (the Courbois brothers)? I can't find hardly anything about them online but I remember learning a lot from their magazine in the 80s. I wonder if someone has scans online.

Last edited:
I don't know anything particular about the PET Benelux, but I seem to recall that Commodore re-published a number of their programs, both in public domain and perhaps some as commercial titles.

Back