• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Are dial-up modems useful for anything?

In any event with the tone generator or dial-tone generator it's to test the cables for static or to trace the cable when you have a crap load of them going into a patch panel and are trying to figure out which line is which. Both exist, both are commonly found at HAM radio fests lol (kidding but yes I've seen and been tempted several times by interesting phone equipment).

As far as dialing 1 phone number and having it roll across devices that's usually a hardware or software middleman needed to do so. You can have a main phone line linked to other phone numbers so if the first number is busy it automatically forwards it to the next number in your call chain (phone companies support that and that was how a lot of multi-line BBSes used to operate). Or you need a PBX in the middle. I would think that you could get one computer with a PBX (Asterisk or the actual hardware if you have some to play with) running and could get it to respond to an extra number pressed and forward that to a specific internal phone or com port. I haven't done the setup personally though so I'm speaking hypothetically.

You don't ever drive to Austin do you? I have some old phone equipment (some practical, some not) that I've been trying to figure out what to do with. Pretty sure one is an actual trunk (huge with lots of cards) and one is a PBX for internal hosting. Never got around to messing with them fully. Always joked about setting up my own phone company for the block though.

My IBM PC XT used to be a PABX monitor but someone removed the card :(
I could've monitored your PABX shinnanigans and made sure you didn't make expensive toll calls :(

Ha! No, I never get to go to anywhere but Las Cruces every now and again. It's been about four years since I made that trip. But if I am ever in Austin I'll be sure to invite you out to a pub of your choice for a beer.

I still play with modems. Nostalgia, I guess?

I've accumulated a few USR Couriers - an ISA internal and a bunch of v.90 v.Everything externals. I picked up a cheap v.92 v.Everything recently too.

I'd like to get an old HST non-v.Everything but they cost a lot and often don't come with power supplies. (The v.Everything Couriers use an easy-to-find AC supply; the HSTs are trickier.)

I have this idea to set up a UUCP network just for giggles.

Just won an auction for an ISA Dynalink which has ISDN and dialup connections. Now I've got to decide which 486 to put it in.........................

Last edited:
If I could get an 8-bit ISA modem for my 5150, I'd totally try to dial-up and get it on the internet. But that probably won't be happening any time soon.

what kind would that be ? ( I have a limited amount of old ISA modems) I'm on dialup out here in the oklahoma outback(the outback in australia gets broadband). It's unlimited for 8.99 mo, no inst fee, no late fees, no inst. software, no nothin, by the month, month runs out, so does use, call em next day, 5 minutes you're back online. Only drawback is really a plus since most dialups purge every 2 or 4 hours, this one does every 8 hours. Been usin em ever since i been back here about 5 years now.

Philosophical question here...

Is a 56K modem nowadays even useful? You're probably going to be using a modem if you live out in the boondocks, pretty far away from the CO anyway. So 33.6K is probably as good as you're going to be able to do in any case. All that wonderful V.90 capability is wasted.

I use phonetray with mine (a neat lil $16 one time purchase for a forever license) and it needs the v92 modem(and a v90 connection) in 3 modes, in the 4th (automatically put internet on hold and accept the call) it also needs a v92 connection, which was rare until i got the modem i'm using now(shows in hardware as intel 536ep v92). Not sure really where i got it, but thinking the drivers came from driverguide. All others i'd used gave on good days up to a v90 45k, this one went right to a v92 115k, and will go higher if i set it to, but i really don't think it gets that good, it just looks neat when i check the connection specs :)

Last edited:
If I could get an 8-bit ISA modem for my 5150, I'd totally try to dial-up and get it on the internet. But that probably won't be happening any time soon.

If you're fussy and want something in the '81 to '84 era then it's a bit harder, but other than that there aren't a lot that won't go in a 5150. Anyway, if you have a serial card then you can connect through a more modern computer and still have some internet fun.

Chuck(G) said:
Is a 56K modem nowadays even useful?
Yep. I think it depends on the kind of "bad" that a phone line possesses though. Ours is an 18 mile buried cable (through slide areas) with quite a few repeaters and from the 60's - and we can get 45k. I guess we got lucky, since I've heard of people that have difficulty getting to 28k in other parts of the world.

well, i just spent the last 3 or 4 hours(off and on) reading all 11 pages of this thread, really enjoyed it :) i'm pretty much stuck with dialup here, and only have a limited supply of dialup modems. I saw those USB modems at a little computer shop a few months ago, when i could have used some spares of some sort, but they wanted $45 for one, and their internal PCI soft modems were $32

Dialup isn't all that bad. A lot of servers take a while to get their shit together these days. I notice that even Google is starting to come across like somebody's bedroom server. Dialup wouldn't be a big loss for me.

. . . and their internal PCI soft modems were $32

Oh thooooose. I don't throw away a lot of stuff and even have dried flowers from decades ago. I've got boxes of bits of wire, and wood, odd hardware. Even bent nails. However soft modems are e-waste around here. :)

Dialup isn't all that bad. A lot of servers take a while to get their shit together these days. I notice that even Google is starting to come across like somebody's bedroom server. Dialup wouldn't be a big loss for me.

Oh thooooose. I don't throw away a lot of stuff and even have dried flowers from decades ago. I've got boxes of bits of wire, and wood, odd hardware. Even bent nails. However soft modems are e-waste around here. :)

lol Juul, bent nails aren't that hard to fix, and soft modems are basically pure scrap. I also have a box of wood, it's not far from the stove, i enjoy occasionally tossing a stick or two in it ; )

Good to see another modem user on VCF. That's 3 now isn't it? With a few wannabes thrown in for good measure 8)
It's quite trivial to share a dail up connection via ethernet to an older machine as well. I generally pick up ISA modems any chance I get. There's been a few come up on our local auction site lately for around $2 a pop.

Last edited:
Good to see another modem user on VCF. That's 3 now isn't it? With a few wannabes thrown in for good measure 8)

I think it's nice to see as well. I have a feeling there's a few more we missed.

Hey Cal, how about setting up a poll on the VCF. Will you, or shall I?

- Use dialup only.
- Use dialup occasionally.
- Have dialup available, but don't use it.
- Don't have access to dialup.
- Would trade my 100MB/s for dialup if it was available.
- I never connect to the internet.

It's quite trivial to share a dail up connection via ethernet to an older machine as well.
I put a modem and two network cards in a Pentium 200MHz and shared with my wife when we only had dialup about 5 years ago. It worked very well indeed. Browsing doesn't slow down at all. If anybody wants to know how to do that, just install the cards and load IPCop, which is a linux distro that requires almost no knowledge to set up for such use.

I think it's nice to see as well. I have a feeling there's a few more we missed.

Hey Cal, how about setting up a poll on the VCF. Will you, or shall I?

- Use dialup only.
- Use dialup occasionally.
- Have dialup available, but don't use it.
- Don't have access to dialup.
- Would trade my 100MB/s for dialup if it was available.
- I never connect to the internet.
Lol. It's your idea so go for it. Obviously because dail up is sooo slow I wont be able to participate ;)

Back