• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

win3.1 installation disk 7 of 7

Who said it doesn't have a label ? I said the disk media has separated from the drive cog...

I'm just asking for clarity. :) You said 1-6 had labels and didn't mention if 7 did or not. Saying it has a separated drive cog does not (in my mind) equate with it having a label - or not, for that matter. That is why I asked you. Why you didn't answer is your business, but it certainly doesn't help the clarity of your communication. It's not a matter of trust. I trust you. I just don't understand what you are saying. :)

So, now that we know that twolazy has a disk labeled #7 and that such a thing does exist. However, we don't know if it is MS or Dell. Would you be so kind as to clarify this twolazy?

MikeS said:
I have several sealed NIB W3.1 packages and they only contain 6 disks, but it was not unusual for OEMs and even Microsoft to issue supplemental disks where today they would just put it up as a download on the 'web. Unless someone comes up with a Microsoft labelled disk 7 it looks like they were supplied by OEMs, specifically only Dell by the looks of it so far.

That's interesting info in light of what sponge.belly had requested. Did he just disappear, by the way?

That certainly looks like the real thing. :) So, it looks like MikeS was right. At least Dell (as we see from GottaLottaStuff as well) had a 7th disk. It doesn't sound like Microsoft did though - despite the apparent assertion of the OP. I wonder where that 7th disk came from like the hand labelled one that I have, because I don't have any Dell disks of any kind in my collection.

Maybe it was just driver you needed to get all hw on your windows box(seems abit strange typing that but you obviously did have a week moment some time in the past) functioning under doze and just labeled it as #7. Seems quite logical really.

That certainly looks like the real thing. :) So, it looks like MikeS was right. At least Dell (as we see from GottaLottaStuff as well) had a 7th disk. It doesn't sound like Microsoft did though - despite the apparent assertion of the OP. I wonder where that 7th disk came from like the hand labelled one that I have, because I don't have any Dell disks of any kind in my collection.
Microsoft might well have issued a supplemental disk or disks to deal with different countries/alphabets, which would be pretty rare here in North America...

Maybe it was just driver you needed to get all hw on your windows box(seems abit strange typing that but you obviously did have a week moment some time in the past) functioning under doze and just labeled it as #7. Seems quite logical really.

Wasn't me. :p

Seriously, I did indeed try Win3.1 at first, and of course, I've collected piles of other people's stuff as well. Regardless of who wrote that 7th disk, I think those drivers were needed by most people and would have come on a supplementary disk of some kind. For a little while back then, just for interests sake, I volunteered at an OEM where of course there was a lot of OS installation going on. I swear there were 7 disks in the set there.

BTW Cal, (you'll like this) I actually thought Win3.1 was cool for a little bit. I even had Cello (the browser) running! Oh and getting all the colours to match my irritable taste was cool too. But then, while trying to get rid of every bit of blue that I could, I got stuck on getting rid of the Win icon which had blue in it. That was it! I was outa there. :) I could probably muster the skill to get over that hump now, but at that time it was just easier to put more work into mastering DOS and carry on with that for some years until FOSS came around. I never had any money anyway.

PS: @MikeS, yes the language thing makes it likely to have an official supplemental disk.

If my July, 1994 MSDN (end o' the line for Win 3.1; in the same shipment is the RC for Win95) collection is any indication, entire disk sets for the various languages were issued--and the number of disks varied. So, for example, Japanese Win 3.1 for PC98 platform came on 15 high-density floppies. For Greek, it came on 10 floppies.

My guess is that seventh floppy may, in fact, be the WRK or something very close to it. Perhaps a driver for a FAX modem or the like?

My guess is that seventh floppy may, in fact, be the WRK or something very close to it. Perhaps a driver for a FAX modem or the like?

If you're talking about what I know from around here, this is the (slightly snipped) dir listing:

Code:
 Volume in drive A is DISK7
 Volume Serial Number is 16F2-2B1E
 Directory of A:\

OEMSETUP INF        18,924 03-09-92  12:00p
PRINTER2 WRI         9,088 03-09-92  12:00p
BASE9    DRV         2,443 03-09-92  12:00p
BJET     DRV         5,800 03-09-92  12:00p
BRHJ100  DRV         2,590 03-09-92  12:00p
BRHJ770  DRV         4,922 03-09-92  12:00p
BRTHR24E DRV         5,793 03-09-92  12:00p
BRTHR9E  DRV         3,762 03-09-92  12:00p
BULL18   DRV        13,238 03-09-92  12:00p
BULL24   DRV        14,866 03-09-92  12:00p
BULL9    DRV         3,944 03-09-92  12:00p
BULLASER DRV         7,305 03-09-92  12:00p
CANCAPSL DRV       150,600 03-09-92  12:00p
CANON10X DRV         2,741 03-09-92  12:00p
--- snip ---
STAR24E  DRV        16,942 03-09-92  12:00p
STAR9E   DRV         8,114 03-09-92  12:00p
STARJET  DRV         3,454 03-09-92  12:00p
TH760    DRV         4,432 03-09-92  12:00p
       68 file(s)        890,167 bytes
                         549,888 bytes free

So any ideas how to glue the hub back onto the media? Im afraid to use crazy glue, too runny. Thinking of using gorilla glue on the tip of a pin , and going around placing small dots every 1-2mm around the edge of the media and the hub...

Once upon a time when I worked for a large federally subsidized agency, we use to take a safety razor blade and gently pry open the case on the subject 3.5" floppy. The process takes a steady hand and a little patience. We would then carefully lift the disk out with a Kleenex and set it aside, being ever so careful as not to foul the media. The process was then repeated for the replacement floppy case. Note that some disks are sealed tighter than others. Example: An "Imation" floppy almost jumps apart - cheap glue I would suspect. You can do it.

So any ideas how to glue the hub back onto the media? Im afraid to use crazy glue, too runny. Thinking of using gorilla glue on the tip of a pin , and going around placing small dots every 1-2mm around the edge of the media and the hub...

Not Gorilla glue--it expands as it cures--normally a desirable characteristic, but not in this case. Get some gel-type Super Glue--it doesn't run.

It's also useful if you cut yourself and need to tack the edges of the wound back together again (the medical community uses a somewhat different formulation, but the retail stuff does work in a pinch).

His problem is that the metal hub has separated from the disk and he wants to reattach it, not replace the disk.

I understand. I just pulled an old 3.5" disk apart and noted that it it takes considerable effort to separate the the hub from the media. Even if he could glue it back, which is possible, I wouldn't trust it any longer than the time it would take to make a backup.

I understand. I just pulled an old 3.5" disk apart and noted that it it takes considerable effort to separate the the hub from the media. Even if he could glue it back, which is possible, I wouldn't trust it any longer than the time it would take to make a backup.

I'm guessing he'll have better luck, and there's nothing lost by trying. Your method would still be available. After all, the digital content is not the unique part, it is the case with label.

Back