• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Computer Test Cards

Last edited:
From what I can tell, these cards are used to read the post codes during boot-up for trouble shooting boards. There are some nice you tube videos which show how these cards work.

Not the one I'm referring to:

PC PCI Recover Hard Drive HD Backup Data Recovery Card

Features
Offering automatic recovery, manual recovery, time recovery, continuous maintaining balance, fully open etc - flexible and convenient
""Plug and play"" - will not occupy HD space
Offering the function of data renewal
Offering CMOS automatic sense and recovery function
Can effectively prevent FDISK, DEL, FORMAT from causing other damages
Can prevent virus from causing damages to hardware and software
Support DOS, Win3.1, Window95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003 etc operating system
Support FAT12, FAT16, BIGDOS, FAT32. NTFS etc file system format
Support IDE, EIDE,SATA etc different forms of hardware.

I question how useful most of the diagnostic cards are. It would seem that they all require functioning hardware to work.

Chuck,

I just edited my earlier post to point you to a manual on the PCI Recovery card.
Hope that helps. You replied quicker than I could correct it :)

Bill

Does anyone have any idea of what this card does? I can't figure out what they're trying to say.

When something is not clear it is often because there are more words than facts. In this case could it be that it blocks a few commands on a few operating systems?
Can effectively prevent FDISK, DEL, FORMAT from causing other damages
Since it appears to be OS specific, I don't think it is a "hardware" card.

Edit:
The other site says:
The Recovery Card protects a hard drive data from unintentional damage as well as from tampering with the system configuration.
It sounds like they are using the the word "recovery" in the sense of "prevention". Oh well, in these days when the majority speak English as a second language, and have no first ... what can I say. They can't even get the HTML straight on that site. (sigh)

Last edited:
Applying my Chinese filter to the English..

The card is claimed to back up several HDDs. Obviously this is not possible on a single solid-state chip. I believe it really claims to keep backups of disk meta-data such as partition tables and directory areas, to enable unformat and undelete operations.

Not sure how it could block low-level commands unless it is modifying BIOS and/or inserting a root-level TSR to intercept commands deemed to be potential threats.

Some sysadmins in wild environments could find it saves them some grief. The performance penalty might not be significant in these days of system speeds way beyond most task requirements.

I'd want to see some credible recommendations before trying one - though it is not a huge investment.

Rick

Rick

Back