• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cheapest retro arcade game?

TeamRocketReviews

Experienced Member
What would be a really cheap retro arcade machine to start out with? I'm looking to branch out into arcade games, but I don't know exactly what the price range for them is.

You can get them fairly cheap. Best place to look is your local Craig's List. If you can find an arcade game auction then you might be able to get a great deal on one. I bought a fully working Golden Axe machine at an auction for $10!

Heather

I was considering the same thing, but prob will just make a MAME machine this summer... Makes me want to look some more, maybe I can find a cabinet cheap.

$10!!!!!! OMG for GOLDEN AXE! *jealous*

Unless your name is Heather and you run into a steal of an auction for Golden Axe at auction.. ;) - Figure on forking out some bucks for any of the popular/historically-significant games.

As always, condition dictates cost in most cases.

Also... Googling around at arcade auction sites, forums, Craigslist, and eBay are great ways to get a feel for what things will cost.

Most of the systems I see are in the low hundreds, unless they were a more popular/collectible title (Pacman, Galaga, etc). If you're just going to use the guts it may not matter and broken arcades can be found for in the lower hundreds although I don't see them as often. Of course I'm not constantly looking either. I hear you can occasionally find a cabinet for under $100 though. If you're looking for the arcade boards, etc then you'll want to do some reading on compatibility between systems like JAMMA, etc.

In the central Oklahoma area, an upright Donkey Kong in nice condition will typically fetch $800 or more. Keep in mind that condition and location can cause prices to vary quite a bit. Yes, they made a cocktail version.

I paid 10.00 for a Non working Dragon Spirit at auction before (It needed a power supply.)

The auctions are the way to go, when I was a bit younger I had 22 arcade games in my house. Now I'm down to 2 mame cabs, and a Monoco GP.

4e657365764c8_223556n.jpg
(Not mine, but the same type).

Ahh, I just saw you said functioning. For the classics, no where is going to be cheap anymore, I do have a stripped out pacman cab in my basement that is
free for anybody that wants it. :).

Later,
dabone

Ahh, I just saw you said functioning. For the classics, no where is going to be cheap anymore, I do have a stripped out pacman cab in my basement that is
free for anybody that wants it. :).

Dude! If it's still there in a few months... I may take you up on that! I'll be heading to a friend's house in Knoxville... picking this up on the way back to FL would be very cool.

Back