• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Ever wonder what a ton of old keyboards looked like ?

A shame really, as I sit here typing on my Model M. I suspect that most of those keyboards are operational--or were, at the time of scrapping. The policy of furnishing a free junky keyboard with every system purchase has to be one of the more wasteful practices. Knock $5 off the price and let me use my own.

Not much in a keyboard outside of plastic so they are not worth much to scrappers (which is why most thrifts have a ton of them). They probably get ground up and mixed in with new material to make those plastic benches people sit on or something. I did save a few oddball keyboards (plus a stack of Model M's) from the local scrapper, they hated those things.

I wish I had a figure on how many computers get recycled a year these days, the amount must be massive.

I wish I had a figure on how many computers get recycled a year these days, the amount must be massive.

I saw some statistics recently but can't remember what they were, but I do recall that a great deal more still goes into landfills than is getting recycled.

Did you read on down that Ebay sale? $2600 for 5 metric tons, plus it said 150mt available per month

PLASTIC KEYBOARD SCRAP
5 mt for sale
150 mt approx per month available
Combined loads of Computer waste available
Recyled

The funny thing is I bet they all originated from US scrappers and were sent down to Mexico. Now Mexico is trying to send them back.

The seller seems to deal only in metric tons of ewaste or expensive collections of decorative mini bottles from Egypt. I wonder how they are connected.

Last edited:
I don't know leaknoil, when I was doing lots of ebaying, Mexico wouldn't allow shipping used PCs, or parts either as far as I recall. They thought that they were getting used for a dump, and would only allow new ones incoming. (that's just from my memory, there could have been other specifics, not sure what's going on down there now )

Absolutely! So many people brought in computers at this years E-Waste event and mentioned that it still worked fine, just that it was too old and it was time for it to go. Nowadays, it's about quantity, not quality.

Back