• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM CGA in original box arrived by UPS today

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I purchased an IBM 5150 in original box with keyboard and CGA in original box, I checked the serial numbers. They arrived today by UPS.

Pictues attached.:(:(:(

IMG_1258.jpgIMG_1259.jpgIMG_1260.jpgIMG_1264.jpg:(:(:(

Ouch, hurts looking at that. With the very high shipping rates and results like this it really puts fear into buying something like this on line.

Wow...sorry to hear about that. Was the 5150 okay ?
Those 5150 boxes are pretty rugged.

The keyboard may be repairable, the 5153 looks pretty bad though.
You may find a non working 5153 with a good case that could be used to
repair yours. The important thing is to make sure the CRT tube wasnt damaged.
Also check the circuit boards in the monitor to make sure they aren't cracked.

Oh No! Sorry to see your bad luck with UPS. I've never had a problem out of them.

Check to see that the 5150 is in working condition. And check with the seller to make sure that the damage wasn't done on his end.

Wow that's pretty horrible. I would have been livid.
What did they say??

So frustrating because even if you get money back it wont replace them :(

I think the keyboard is okay, I put the keys back on but have not tested it. The 5150 power up, but did not attach another monitor to it. I purchased it on eBay so I am not sure how to handle it. I contacted the seller, and UPS. The tube is intact I believe, did not handle it a lot of than to photo it.

Will take a better look after UPS looks at it, it had to be handled rough.

I have another CGA what I am sick about is it being in the orignal box.

The box does not show any damage and I met the local delivery guy at the curb and carried them to my garage. I have never had a problem with UPS either. I got what I thought was a real bargain considering all 3 items were original and in boxes.

That is just f-ing terrible!

The clock is ticking on your claim -- immediately open a case in eBay buyer protection (if you purchaed it there).

Send it back to the seller right away with tracking/signature, demand a full refund.

Don't worry there are more 5153's in the world!

I emailed the seller and contacted UPS, so I need to contact eBay also, or do I need to wait and see what UPS and the seller say.

I know there are more 5153's but finding one in a box is a chore and finding one in an original box that serial numbers match is really a chore.

Might be worth keeping anyway, then buy another 5153 (and you'll have a box for it).
Bit suspicious the box shows no damage :/

I had already made up my mind, the box is not going back. I doubt they will give me anything for the monitor anyway. They had to drop both boxes somehow, at least 12 of the keys were off the keyboard and it was in the box with the 5150.

FedEx is the only shipper I really trust. My UPS guy drops things on the floor of his truck as soon as he pulls up. I know because I could hear a loud "thunk" as he was unloading my Deskpro 286.

If there's no damage to the box it must have been packaged that way? (as long as that's the original shipping container)

Sorry to see that, a real shame, reminds me of the time i won a 5153 on ebay and it was delivered by DHL, The box was in good shape no damage but when i opened it and removed the monitor to my horror there was broken plastic casing and bits rattling around inside the monitor, The neck of the tube was broken clean off and bits and pieces every where, Totally destroyed, All i could think of is that the box had been dropped from a considerable height and landed flat on it's bottom destroying the monitor inside but resulting in no damage to the box. Good luck with your claim.

Malc

It is the sellers responsibility to package the shipment in a way that will carry the item safely to its destination. It is the shippers responsibility to carry it safely there. You are in no way obligated to accept damaged merchandise. The damages were done by either the seller, prior to shipping, or the shipper, during shipping, and at this point it is actually between them to decide which is at fault. I admire your ability to pity the poor recipient of this monstrous blunder, wherever it might have occurred, but you are not responsible for it. If you do accept it as is, I hope the winds of good fortune will bring you better days

I want to thank everyone for the advice, this is my first time receiving anything that is damaged and I really did not know who to proceed. The monitor was packaged in the original box with the stryoform inserts that came with the origianal monitor. I know the plastic outside case of the monitor gets brittle with age and being under lights. The keyboard was packed with the 5150 in a seperate box had numberous keys were jarred off. I believe somewhere along the way, somebody just rough handled the boxes like throwing them flat on the floor. The outside shows not damage but just jarred hard on the inside.

I have notified UPS and the seller, as all of your realize just getting all or some of your all money back is really not the issue, another one of the old items is gone forever.

UPS wears brown for a reason. The only time I ever ship with them is if the USPS is the only other alternative.

Back