• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM CGA in original box arrived by UPS today

More I look at it I come to a different conclusion...

I bet it was new when put away. But it sat in a hot/cold/dry warehouse for years and years. Once it started shipping we all know UPS isnt very kind. Even small drops, or EVEN a sound frequency like a turbine could have caused the brittle casing to crack/shatter, not to mention air pressure. Or other boxes being dropped on top over the years while being stored. Things just get brittle with ages sometimes, it happens... Shame too. If it had been packed with paper probably never have happened :(

Reason I Think this, look at the box. It's just like a speaker! Any low noise would resonate in there. Now think of something brittle, say think plastic or thick ice. About same tensile strength. Add bass, watch the ice shatter.

i'm simply saying, i do not believe the damage was done in transit. If you reported this immediately to the carrier, they should be good enough to deal with the shipper.

You have a tendency to read-in phrases that aren't/weren't in the references we just discussed. This one ...'Since buyer was not given sufficient chance to inspect goods as-is does not apply.' is your opinion.

I see this as the conclusive point and that is something that I read, not read-in, or an opinion I hold.... 'As is' translates into 'with all faults.'

Or this... 'The term as is gives notice to buyers that they are taking a risk on the quality of the goods.'

Hmm... Then I gues I must have imagined reading this: "However, the buyer must have had the right to reasonable inspection, so that he/she has a chance to find any obvious deficiency." I could have sworn the pixels on my monitor formed those words in your referenced link but hey I am imagining things.

Lets put it another way: Jimmy bought a non-cracked monitor "As-Is". Item arrived packed well (original IBM box w/ original foam) and box is undamaged. The monitor has a huge crack in it - whose loss is it?

As is just means the seller waives any responsibility regarding the functionality of the item. You won't get your money back if it doesn't work. But yes they would still be responsible for sending an item that's in the condition that they specified. In your case it might be difficult to determine in which place the damage occurred which is why you report it to all the folks in the transaction. Yes, us pessimistic folks consider as-is likely meaning the seller tried it and it didn't work so they're pretending they didn't try it and selling it untested. I suspect many stores do the same thing (illegally or immorally) selling used items as untested/as-is when they tested the object and know it doesn't work. I caught one store putting a drive bay I had returned and it was defective back on the shelf because I marked it on one of the proms just for shiggles. Sure enough, it magically showed up on the stock shelf. Of course that was a local computer shop and that's just the way the owner made money off folks who didn't know better.

But even here as-is doesn't protect the seller because all sorts of nasties like fraud, intent to defraud, larceny, etc. start kicking in. Of course as with all thing proving it in court is a whole different matter, but to think "as-is" auto-protects the seller is a pipe dream. I never sell anything as-is. Everything has a clear description of problems, issues, working status and comes with a 7 day satisfaction guarantee. Of course there is a minimum 30% re-stocking fee, item needs to be returned insured and registered in original packaging, and original shipping is not refundable. These terms are good for the CCs (in case of a charge back) and used to be good on eBay (i.e. if a buyer complained I just told them they can return it w/ our 7 day satisfaction guarantee) although I have not had a chance to test it recently in eBay.

Jimmy,

Sorry man, but shit breaks. I just got a monitor delivered to me double boxed with styrofoam packing nice and tight so that it couldn't move. No visible damage to the box either, however, the monitor casing has come apart on the side. i know its not the seller because I've worked with him many times and I trust him. It happens and its not your fault. You contacted the seller. wait and see if you two can work it out. If not kick it up to eBay and from there to your CC if you get no satisfaction. But like I said you have to be willing to return the broken monitor...

I agree and it's not a lot of money, if UPS or the seller either one say "tough luck". I filed a claim online with UPS and they emailed me that someone would come by and look at the damage. The seller called me, after I notified them of the damage, they called UPS directly. I am like Two Lazy, I think I had found a system that was packed up when it was fairly new and forgotten about. I mean it's just not that this monitor and system was still in the original box, it is really clean or was anyway.

I repaired the keyboard and the 5150 booted up with not problem.

And thanks to the people on here with experience shipping vintage items, I know in the future how to make sure an items is packed and shipped properly.

Glad to hear the keyboard was repairable and the system unit is working okay :)

Looking at the pictures of the 5153....I suspect that the box was dropped from
some height with the CRT face up, and the weight of the CRT ripped the corner
mounting out of the bezel, and cracked the case.....

Any way that it happened, it happened. Regardless of who would legally be responsible in a court of law, it happened, and the seller might be honest enough to work with him in making it right. In that case... my rule of thumb, meet me halfway. Total cost / 3 = cost per item. One is obviously screwed... if it powers on and works, and is just the case... meet me halfway - or more - on the cost of that item. I keep the item, you get good feedback, we both learn a lesson. If the seller wants to make better on it than that, his choice... if the seller wants to do nothing, also his choice - and I'd follow through with my choices, which include negative feedback, ebay buyer protection, chargeback on credit card, etc.

Any way that it happened, it happened. Regardless of who would legally be responsible in a court of law, it happened, and the seller might be honest enough to work with him in making it right. In that case... my rule of thumb, meet me halfway. Total cost / 3 = cost per item. One is obviously screwed... if it powers on and works, and is just the case... meet me halfway - or more - on the cost of that item. I keep the item, you get good feedback, we both learn a lesson. If the seller wants to make better on it than that, his choice... if the seller wants to do nothing, also his choice - and I'd follow through with my choices, which include negative feedback, ebay buyer protection, chargeback on credit card, etc.

MOST seller's are very cool and will work with you. Specially if you are being reasonable. In my experience the ones that don't are the ones that set out to screw you from the beginning (shipped w/o protection/proper packing, don't respond to questions, tell you to deal with the courier, you get the idea). But no matter what agreement you reach always message through eBay ONLY and insist on returning payment in the form it was sent (usually PayPal). I've heard enough horror stories and read enough "advice" given by sellers to other sellers to be wary of anything else. Say what you will about PayPal and eBay (and there is plenty of crap that can be said about both) they still have the best system out there. Amazon, the small sites, yahoo, etc. aren't even close.

Last edited:
... the weight of the CRT ripped the corner
mounting out of the bezel, and cracked the case.....

That is what happened to my PCjr monitor. Box looked OK, tube was still attached to broken pieces of the front bezel. Is it because they are old and the plastic case is more brittle?

In that last circumstance I think dropping the box but it landing flat could easily break a tube but not the box. It does always make me wonder though how these things ship from the factory to stores and seemingly arrive ok unless it's just the carrier.

In that last circumstance I think dropping the box but it landing flat could easily break a tube but not the box. It does always make me wonder though how these things ship from the factory to stores and seemingly arrive ok unless it's just the carrier.

They are usually stacked and strapped down to a wooden pallet for delivery. Pallets are loaded and transported mostly via forklift, so the product likely doesn't see much shock when shipped from the factory to a distributor.

They are usually stacked and strapped down to a wooden pallet for delivery. Pallets are loaded and transported mostly via forklift, so the product likely doesn't see much shock when shipped from the factory to a distributor.

And even if it does you and i don't hear about it. It gets sent back to the factory as damaged where its is repaired and sent out again to the distributor.

Here are the some pics of each side of the monitor box as you can see theres is really no sign of damage.

Ok, some word to this:
Please keep in mind that you are looking at a 30 year old plastic monitor casing (I'd expect ABS).
This material does age and the impact- and or stress/strain properties of the material are the first to suffer from that
It might just be that temperature differences and strain on the case, even when packaged correctly, might have caused this too.

Last edited:
I take this thread to heart because I work for UPS in the technical support department. It is pretty rare that I hear of this kind of damage. I do hear of more monitors being broken than anything else though but that's not just with UPS. It seems to be about even between the big 3 in the shipping world. That is one reasonthat when I bought my system,I had my brother in law make the purchase for me. and hold on to it until my wife want to see him on a sheduled visit.

That was/is the very same system I have now and been upgrading over the last year. It is also the exact setup that was so badly damaged here. In the end, although I had to wait an extra two months in order to actually get my hands on my PC, I think it was well worth the wait. At least I knew my system wasn't being abused, or trashed during transport. I think I would have been devistated if that was the very first vintage PC I had purchased and it had that kind of damage. I would probably have given up right then.

I know this was a while ago, so how have things gone with E-Bay, UPS and the seller?

Back