• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just acquired my first Apple (IIGS-Woz): Things I should know and check?

But I guess the Woz case with a ROM 03 mobo would be pretty sweet.

Oh yes, definitely. I have two WOZ editions, both upgraded with ROM03s and theys puuurdy.

I think all Woz were shipped with ROM0, but most have been upgraded to ROM1 at some point as GSOS required ROM1 or better.

Woz Editions were made well into 1987 and so some of them were ROM01 models OOB. How many though? I have no idea. The vast majority of those I've seen are ROM01, but like you said, many were probably upgraded. At one time I owned about 35 IIGS motherboards and only one was a ROM00 (surprisingly, it came from a non-woz edition case).

Last edited:
Prolly too late to be a WOZ, but the IIGS I have has a copyright in 1989. Is this is a shoe-in for being a ROM 03? The model number is indistinct because the first one or two or even three of the numerals seem to have a gash in the middle. Strange how it's that one spot that is marred on the bottom label....

Just bought facattack's old IIgs rig. We'll see how much of it is usable to transplant to the Woz.
Plus it never hurts to have spare parts and extra software.

I'd like to say this will cap my vintage collection/obsession, but you never know when a Cray 2 might show up on eBay!

Oh and dude(TanruNomad), loved the review of Warlock on you tube. The Woz came with that game, what's the cheat? (I don't have 20 years!)

Last edited:
*laughs* Be sending the three boxes to Dracos. :D It's been an ordeal of a kind having this machine and mostly having it collect dust... My ignorance abounds! :D Hopefully he can fix her up and get everything to work!

HRM! Big question! I never noticed a conventional hard drive (like a gray box with the platters in it). The Vulcan is a circuit board with doodads on it. ... Is this an early SOLID STATE DRIVE? Wonder how they decided to make the kind we're more familiar with... Only took decades before flash drives hit the market, eh?

Wonder what computer manufacturers back then would think of this baby?

pqi-usb-thumb-drive.jpg

Or even this one.....

usb-thumb-thumb.jpg

Prolly too late to be a WOZ, but the IIGS I have has a copyright in 1989. Is this is a shoe-in for being a ROM 03? The model number is indistinct because the first one or two or even three of the numerals seem to have a gash in the middle. Strange how it's that one spot that is marred on the bottom label....

When you boot the GS it will show the ROM on the screen. Not sure if 89 was ROM 03 or still ROM 01.

Oh geeze, my mistake. Sorry guys. I thought the Woz came out after the original IIgs and was ROM 01. I guess a lot of people just did upgrades or replaced their top cover.

Sorry, Dracos, a box got dinged a little. I pmed you the tracking number.

Some idiot shoved me aside while I was trying to pull a hand truck burdened with two large boxes in as he was going out. Thankfully the one box on top only fell a little distance. :( I hate people.

Can't wait to go through the stuff when it gets here.

I guess I will start by:

1. Pulling and taking a picture of the rom00 board, clipping the battery (where is it?) and packing that for long term storage.
2. Transplant the rom03 board into the Woz case. Replace that battery as soon as I find out what I need for it.
3. Test
4. Transplant the Transwarp.
5. Test
6. Transplant the Vulcan power supply.
7. Test
8. Add in the vulcan hdd.
9. Test (anything I need to do special to get it to boot from the hdd?)
10. Play Warlock and Zork.

8 Test (anything I need to do special to get it to boot from the hdd?)

As long as it's plugged into the SLOT 7 and it is working properly, and the system is set to boot off slot 7, nuffin that I can recall. I noticed I hadn't connected it to a mysterious part on the mother board that almost looks like an IDE thing but this tech used SCSI, didn't it?

So the ribbon the power supply attaches to the Vulcan card, the Vulcan card goes into slot 7 and I think maybe hook up that mysterious thingie as well.

I don't recall if I ever used it and when I watched someone else's video, there was nothing in that area.... Maybe slot 7 is the most conveinent spot to the adaptor. IDK. All I do know is that its a small black ribbon on the motherboard that bends at a 90 degree angle. ...

Here's a DSK image I got from somewhere.... "http://www.apple2online.com/web_documents/ae_vulcanpro.zip"

Here's the page I found it on... http://www.apple2online.com/index.php?p=1_6_Applied-Engineering

Attachments

• ae_vulcanpro.zip
    82.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Dracos? Wanna post an update publically? Get anything to work? I think I sent you a ZIP drive that is SCSI. One of the others is parallel port which would work with a PC but NOT with an Apple product.

I completely forgot to send you the internal ZIP drive I had. I think the internal is IDE and I don't have any IDE on my current computer so I can't archive the zip disks I have lying around...

Is the motherboard in fact ROM 03? You could take the top cover off the WOZ you have and put that on the computer I've sold you without having to move motherboards around. (Sorry about writing on the machine's case with marker.)

Sorry, I have only had time to inventory the shipment. Work and life are both a bit crazy right now, but I can't wait to dig into it.
I will move the motherboard into the Woz case as it already has the original power supply. I need to do this all one part at a time so I can try to identify what part(s) failed for you previously. Mostly I am looking at the transwarp, vulcan hdd and the mobo. If two of the three are still good, then I will be satisfied.

As far as I am concerned the sale has been completed satisfactorily, if that is your concern.

I don't know squat about Apples, so I plan on taking my time going through this stuff.

Fnally got a chance to get some pics of the Woz, and start playing with my shipment from facattack.
Here are the pics of the Woz:
http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u377/uunut/Vintage Collection/Apple IIgs - Woz/

0/1 on new parts, the mobo is dead(?). I swapped the woz's psu over to the rom 03's case, connected the necessary peripherals, not boot, no nothing, just a click from the psu when I switch off/on. Can't even eject the diskette from the 3.5 drive. Tried it with and without the ram card from the woz.

EDIT: Oh wait, I didn't need to put the cover back on to get it to boot did I?

Sure do wish I had made that Apple II maintenance event at VCF East about now! Gotta admit, nice design on the psu install, easy peasy!
Taking out the mobo looks a little more complicated, any suggestions? Also this ROM 03 board has what looks like an IDE connector coming off of it, any clue?

Thinking about this setup a little more... There is what looks like an IDE connector coming off the mobo, now looking at the transwarp card, it looks like that connector goes to the transwarp. Would the having the transwarp card NOT hooked up cause the system to not post? Maybe doing this piece by piece is not the way to go...
The ribbon lead on the mobo is on a pretty short leash, so I assume the transwarp card will have to go on the closest slot. Anyone know of any links to support or manuals for the transwarp?

thanks...

Thinking about this setup a little more... There is what looks like an IDE connector coming off the mobo, now looking at the transwarp card, it looks like that connector goes to the transwarp. Would the having the transwarp card NOT hooked up cause the system to not post? Maybe doing this piece by piece is not the way to go...
The ribbon lead on the mobo is on a pretty short leash, so I assume the transwarp card will have to go on the closest slot. Anyone know of any links to support or manuals for the transwarp?

thanks...

Yes, you want the 40 pin ribbon cable connected to the transwarp card. And yes, not connecting it fully will cause the magic smoke to escape.
Docs for AE products - google is your friend.

thanks...
Yikes! Yes, if there is no CPU on the mobo, it won't start :) If there is a connector where the CPU would normally be, it needs to be connected to the transwarp to actually startup. As you said, the ribbon connector is very short so the transwarp will probably fit best in slot 2. Ensure the slot is set to "your card" and really that's about it. Once you're in you can access the control panel and configure your transwarp. Quite a nice thing to have.

Ensure the slot is set to "your card" and really that's about it. Once you're in you can access the control panel and configure your transwarp.

Could you elaborate? This rom 03 board was previously setup with this tw and the vulcan HDD, but came with the cards not installed, packed seperately.
Before disassembly the system was failing to post so I thought that was what I ran into. When I tried boot recently it was without the tw card installed, so no cpu at all then, no post, makes sense. Help out a poor Tandy guy here! The Apple IIgs manual I got doesn't help much with hardware stuff...

Yikes! Yes, if there is no CPU on the mobo, it won't start :) If there is a connector where the CPU would normally be, it needs to be connected to the transwarp to actually startup. As you said, the ribbon connector is very short so the transwarp will probably fit best in slot 2. Ensure the slot is set to "your card" and really that's about it. Once you're in you can access the control panel and configure your transwarp. Quite a nice thing to have.

Huh? When I recieved the machine, the TransWarp card was on the far right, in a slot that was towards the front of the machine. So the card would go in "backwards" from the others... At no point was it near the IDE plug if that is what it is.

I was thinking that the Vulcan drive would plug into the ribbon thing....?

I managed to use the machine dozens of times without the IDE plug plugged into anything. And with the Vulcan card removed.

Back