• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What was the most expensive personal computer at its initial introduction?

TanruNomad

Veteran Member
I'm not talking mainframes or anything, but commercially sold personal computers that a single person would buy for them self or family. What was the most expensive?

You might have a blurry line between business class personal computers and home computers. Things like the IBM 5120 ("$9,340 with printer") (5100 was $20,000 but admittedly meant for business) could be a home system if one was desiring to do similar functions or programming. I would be eyeballing the Lisa ($9995) as a probably contender though. Mac Portable being pretty damn outrageous at $7300.

The other catch that I'm not bored enough to figure out would be comparing the value of the dollar during those release dates.

I don't think I've seen a 5100 on ebay before (though admittedly I only search for them every so often). Do they pop up every now and then? Do you recall what they currently sell for?

Quite familiar with them and their unfortunate price tag. 5100s sell for similar to Altair prices. The last few to be listed were asking too much but $3500, they sell typically between $1800-2500 probably depending on who's looking and the condition. Problem is the early pre-CPU technology is quite different. I've seen a few broken ones sell for $1200 or so but you'd be learning to love and fix TTL logic boards.

The IBM PS/2 Model 80 had a list price of $10,995 when introduced in 1987. That price did not include a monitor.

Does this count newer computers? I just went on the Apple website and "built" a custom Mac Pro. These specs:

Mac Pro RAID Card
512GB solid-state drive
512GB solid-state drive
512GB solid-state drive
Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Two 18x SuperDrives
Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel)
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Apple Battery Charger
Quad-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro - Auto-enroll
Epson Artisan 730 Color Inkjet All-in-One Printer
1-year One to One membership
(duplicates are not mistakes)

gave me the whopping price of $17,571.95

Well, of course. :D The mac pro does cost more than anything else on this thread, though.

Yes, It's very hard to answer this question due to the loose definition of "personal computer". It also depends on just what period you're talking. However, setting aside the academic arguments over just what is meant, if you are talking about the period 1978-1981 the most expensive one as a general home/hobby computer here in New Zealand from the limited models available would have been the Apple II. It was so expensive you really had to be a rich uber-geek to own one.

Thats why in the day we all hated those smug, intolerable Apple II owners :D

Tez

I know that Xerox's 8010 Star Information System was priced in 1981? for $16,595 base, over 30k fully loaded! Funny part is the first monitor I ever had at home came off a star system (same one in the picutre, 19" viewable greyscale).

xeroxstar.jpg

The Xerox Star was released for $16,595 1981 dollars. I can't imagine what that is in today's dollars.

Back