• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MFM cable help - simple question

twolazy

Veteran Member
Started to play with my isa mfm controller and ran into a snag. I made the cable thinking it be a shugart style floppy connector on the controller, when in fact it is pin based. I have some old floppy cables I can pull the pin header off of, but I am confused to its orientation. I already have the correct twist on the cable, just not the right style header. :S

So question is, which way does the notch point on the cable? Does it face the other 2 connectors or does it face outward. I like to say it faces inward but its been so long my brain is a bit foggy. If someone can post me a good picture or help, I be much appreciative. =)

CC2201_LR.jpg

Looks like the notch is on the outward side of the cable.

So question is, which way does the notch point on the cable? Does it face the other 2 connectors or does it face outward. I like to say it faces inward but its been so long my brain is a bit foggy. If someone can post me a good picture or help, I be much appreciative. =)
Unfortunately it can be oriented either way. I know this because I have several of these and they are of both flavors. This is because the ribbon can be inserted into the connectors in either direction and one configuration yields an inny and the other yields an outty. So, either way you do it will work provided you keep conductor #1 on the ribbon in its proper position on all connectors. Conversely, either way will fail if don't maintain the correct ribbon orientation.

Last edited:
The shugart style connectors on my cable have the notch, so can only go in one way. Thanks a bunch you 2 for posting so fast. Im not sure if I have a header small enough for the control cable. :S I'll check today through all my old cables, maybe I'll have one. Was hoping to reuse my EDSI cable set, but sadly not as easy as planned.

I might have to just say screw it and buy a set of cables. Most likely almost same price as the connector. LOL! :(

You mean the data cable not the control cable, right? FWIW, I have an ESDI controller (that I'm not using) and it's cables are the same as MFM cables.

Sorry ya I meant the 20pin data cable. I dont think I have 20 pin header connector though. :\ Hoping I have a connector in my box of external port brackets/cables.

The esdi controller I pulled them off of didn't use pin based sadly. Actually both sets that I have don't have a pin based header, just slide on shugart style. One set was off a model 60, think other model 50?

Don't tell anyone I told you this... but if you're only using one HD (which I think isn't the case here) you can use a 34 pin connector. You just need to wire the 20 conductor ribbon appropriately. The unused overlap on the connector from the drive 0 part will fit nicely on the drive 1 header pins. Try the connector and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes you just need to think outside the box. :)

Hi
It doesn't make much diffence as long as pin 1
on one connector goes to pin one on the other.
The both connectors can go on one side of the
cable or on opposite sides. This will change which
way the tab sticks out.
What is important is that pin 1 goes to pin 1
at each end.
Dwight

Back