• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

a friend in need..

bettablue

Veteran Member
I have a friend in San Diego county who has this to say;

I AM SERIOUSLY LOOKING FOR A MONITOR FOR MY 5150. I AM THE ORIGINAL OWNER. HOWEVER, MY MONITOR IS NO LONGER FUNCTIONING. ALL MY INCOME TAX RECORDS ARE IN THAT COMPUTER, RESULT HAD TO FILE AN INCOME TAX EXTENSION. REALLY NEED A 9-PIN MONITOR. I'VE BEEN HEARING ABOUT ADAPTERS BUT AM HESITANT. HAVE YOU EVER USED AN ADAPTER TO USE A 15-PIN MONITOR? WOULD APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE.

THANKS,

Well, honestly, I don't know what to think, other than George doesn't know anything at all about these machines, or computers in general. So, I thought I would try to find someone who wouldn't mind going out to his place to see what can be done.

George is not expecting this to be a freebie either.

Please let me know if you or someone you know can contact George to set up a repair visit. Please reply with your email address and I'll forward you the original email with his phone number.

Thanks much.

I hope yall have some luck getting some help over there! (what's an "Acoustic Coupler"? )

I hope yall have some luck getting some help over there! (what's an "Acoustic Coupler"? )

Thanks much... I have an offer from someone to give them a monitor and video card for the price of shipping, but with their knowlege, I doubt very seriously if they would be comfortable doing the replacement on their own. So, I'm still hoping that someone in the forums who lives in the San Diego area can go help them. Honestly, I hope they do accept the monitor and video card as well. It will be a step above what they have right now.

And Le-Bear, to answer your question, and add to stones definition; an acoustic coupler is an external modem that connects to the PC usually via 9 pin serial port, but can also connect using an asyncronous serial connection, or even a parallel port. It uses a standard telephone handset to "dial" out to connect to other computers over a phone line. I came across a couple that I liked, but in both cases, there was something that kept me from buying at the time. The first one used floating ear and mouth pieces, and the other was just so badly beaten up that I couldn't be certain that it would work at all. And in both cases, the seller had to be on some really intersting chemicals because the prices they wanted were just completely out of line.

Besides, I have another item I need to buy. I made a deal a while ago, but when something else popped up, I had to let it go. (I hate making deals wait) I consider myself to be a man of my word. When the IBM expansion unit became available, I had a deal in place to buy a Compaq Portable with either the 5" or 7" screen in the center or left, and dual 5.25" floppy drives on the right under the removable keyboard. The owner was going to sell it to me for $125.00 plus shipping.

Maybe with my return to work this week, I'll be able to finally buy the Compaq, especially since my IBM system will be completed either today or tomorrow.

I keep dreaming of having one of those to connect with my IBM PC system.

I offered the video card/monitor. I'm obviously not going to travel across the country to help him install it, but I can email him with help on installing the card/monitor. They are already configured for each other, so it is just a matter of setting the DIP switches on the motherboard.

I know Marcoguy... I just don't post names out of privacy. That way, those who do help don't get inundated with other requests for hardware or whatever. I do that out of respect for you.

I'm still waiting to hear from them, so it will probably be tomorrow when I can get back to you.

I offered the video card/monitor. I'm obviously not going to travel across the country to help him install it, but I can email him with help on installing the card/monitor. They are already configured for each other, so it is just a matter of setting the DIP switches on the motherboard.

Well, it's not a particularly large monitor. It was shipped to me with a thirty pound 5160 all for $70. I can imagine that shipping will go down if you take off thirty pounds.

Well, it's not a particularly large monitor. It was shipped to me with a thirty pound 5160 all for $70. I can imagine that shipping will go down if you take off thirty pounds.

I kinda figured that shipping would be about $35.00 or $40.00 depending on how well it's packed and the size of the box. At least that's what I informed them.

I had calculated $50 for shipping and $25 for packing. I always let Fedex pack monitors when I ship them. And they always arrive in good condition. I've shipped quite a few multisyncs in the last year or so. Of course the multisyncs are a bit heavier and cost more than $75 to pack and ship.

How it's packed is more important than who ships it. If it isn't well packed it won't arrive in working condition no matter who the carrier is.

I haven't shipped anything heavy in a while. Should I use UPS, USPS, or FedEx?

I used to do a great deal of shipping, but not so much the last 3 or 4 years. UPS (@ their major Nashville hub) used to have the best in house packaging, but they could also run the cost up quickly, by putting too many hot foam packs in, or using a too large box, so I tried to stay in sight of "the project" until it was completed, in order to offer my own suggestions/preferences in the packaging. I've usually found FedEx to have the best rates for bulky items, but can't recall ever using their packaging services. Those hot packs would likely be the best for a monitor, but I didn't ship many of those.

I should be able to package it myself. I simply want to know the carrier that will be the cheapest while still ending up with a well packed item in one piece.

Back