• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

a friend in need..

Yes, my computer is broken and I am currently using a toaster to post to this forum! :D

Les, do me a favor if you willPM me with your actual ship from address. I work for UPS, so well... In fact, I'm returning to work after being on disability for over 6 months. But I still have my pricing.

I'll work up a return label so that if she goes for it, we can have the label emailed to you and all you will need to do is print it out and put it on the box. Then all you need to do is get the box to UPS. You can take it to a UPS counter, one of the UPS Store locations, or even give it directly to a driver.

What I plan on doing is to just get you MY actual shipping cost.
Wells Fargo

BB, I was only joking about the wells fargo as being the safest carrier. I'm fairly adept at packaging things myself, having shipped many different items all around the world, from tiny packages, to palletized crates of my own design. Actually one feedback on a very delicate medical, crated item I shipped by truck from TN to Vancouver, BC, said simply, "you should be commended for your crating abilities". That was in 03 or 4, not exactly sure. Also, if you've ever seen a SGI 540, or picked one up with its 4 Xeon processors in tow, and realize the difficulty it is to package one, well, most people wouldn't. I bought a number of them from NASA and found my best customer for those in SD, CA, several in complete units, which were extremely difficult to ship, due to their fragile side covers, which would usually be busted in transit. My first shipment to this man, who was an avid collector of the 540 systems, and worked in IT for Union Pacific, commended me highly for being the one to finally get a full unit shipped to him with no breakage. I moved from TN in late 06-early07 (4 - 1200 mile round trips over several months) and had completely dropped ebay shortly before my Dad died in early 08, can't even recall now what my id was there, le_bear_essentials if i remember correctly, but can't be certain without digging out some old papers. Don't worry about my shipping abilities BB, I can deal with it. Don't worry about the Compaq either, it's yours if you want it, at even half what the other guy wanted, if that's ok with you.

Last edited:
Actually UPS has their own facility here, I've never been in it, but I think they accept packages from 2-4PM. There's another little shipping place that does FedEx and UPS, and I've always found the best rates with FedEx, but UPS is ok too. Many times I'd go in there and forget to tell them FedEx and they'd write it up with UPS and I'd just say, that's fine.

I have a friend in San Diego county who has this to say;

I AM SERIOUSLY LOOKING FOR A MONITOR FOR MY 5150. I AM THE ORIGINAL OWNER. HOWEVER, MY MONITOR IS NO LONGER FUNCTIONING. ALL MY INCOME TAX RECORDS ARE IN THAT COMPUTER, RESULT HAD TO FILE AN INCOME TAX EXTENSION. REALLY NEED A 9-PIN MONITOR. I'VE BEEN HEARING ABOUT ADAPTERS BUT AM HESITANT. HAVE YOU EVER USED AN ADAPTER TO USE A 15-PIN MONITOR? WOULD APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE.

THANKS,

Well, honestly, I don't know what to think, other than George doesn't know anything at all about these machines, or computers in general. So, I thought I would try to find someone who wouldn't mind going out to his place to see what can be done.

I think that a faster and cheaper solution is to connect his 5150 to a tv set via the composite out that many CGA cards had or to install a CGA card with composite output (if his card doesn't have).

Sorry to say, the monitor that Marcobuy was going to send has some issues that go along with it. So we're still looking for another monitor. Is there someone else who might be able to help out?

I mentioned that to them. The funny thing is that his 5150 is like mine in one aspect. There is no composite out on the video controller.

I'm going to sit on this for a day or two, so we can see if another good solution pops up that we can definitely go with. That way, I don't build up their hopes and then have to backtrack. only to have something else pop up.

I think it will be better for everyone involved too.

Just in case, if any of you want to call them, I have their phone number. Maube by talking directly to them you can work out something better, or they can provide you with something that we haven't thought of.

PM me if you want their phone number.

I think that a faster and cheaper solution is to connect his 5150 to a tv set via the composite out that many CGA cards had or to install a CGA card with composite output (if his card doesn't have).

Let's take this a step further... or possibly even a step back, if you like. :) How do we know that this is a bad monitor? It could be something else such as video adapter, power supply, motherboard .... see what I'm getting at? First, what type of monitor is this supposedly dead beast, anyway? We don't even know that yet. :)

Sorry, my bad. I have such a wierd and often dry sense of hunor, and I certainly didn't mean to offend. It seems that I do that from time to time without realizing it. So, I do apologize for my indescretion.

BB, I was only joking about the wells fargo as being the safest carrier. I'm fairly adept at packaging things myself, having shipped many different items all around the world, from tiny packages, to palletized crates of my own design. Actually one feedback on a very delicate medical, crated item I shipped by truck from TN to Vancouver, BC, said simply, "you should be commended for your crating abilities". That was in 03 or 4, not exactly sure. Also, if you've ever seen a SGI 540, or picked one up with its 4 Xeon processors in tow, and realize the difficulty it is to package one, well, most people wouldn't. I bought a number of them from NASA and found my best customer for those in SD, CA, several in complete units, which were extremely difficult to ship, due to their fragile side covers, which would usually be busted in transit. My first shipment to this man, who was an avid collector of the 540 systems, and worked in IT for Union Pacific, commended me highly for being the one to finally get a full unit shipped to him with no breakage. I moved from TN in late 06-early07 (4 - 1200 mile round trips over several months) and had completely dropped ebay shortly before my Dad died in early 08, can't even recall now what my id was there, le_bear_essentials if i remember correctly, but can't be certain without digging out some old papers. Don't worry about my shipping abilities BB, I can deal with it. Don't worry about the Compaq either, it's yours if you want it, at even half what the other guy wanted, if that's ok with you.

Let's take this a step further... or possibly even a step back, if you like. :) How do we know that this is a bad monitor? It could be something else such as video adapter, power supply, motherboard .... see what I'm getting at? First, what type of monitor is this supposedly dead beast, anyway? We don't even know that yet. :)

Actually, I personally know the issue with this monitor. I had forgotten the problem, but remembered it just a little while ago and promptly PMed bettablue. I don't remember the exact problem, as this was in about 1987, but I do remember something with the monitor's non standard output. It is modified CGA. Also, the display adapter is modified EGA. The CGA monitor isn't fully compatible. I didn't realize this until today, but when switching between text mode and graphics mode in a program, you have to flip three hard to find switches on the adapter, and then switch them back when you go to text mode again. I remember that the monitor had a very garbled up video output, and I had to short something on the motherboard. So all in all, this monitor will only work on my modified XT PC. I can't expect George to be able to make the modifications for it to work.

I wasn't referring to your monitor...rather the one in San Diego. How do we know what's wrong there or even it's the monitor that's at fault? Or even what type it is?

Sorry, my bad. I have such a wierd and often dry sense of hunor, and I certainly didn't mean to offend. It seems that I do that from time to time without realizing it. So, I do apologize for my indescretion.

lol, noo, i'm the one that probly shoulda shut up, I was only bragging there, and truly was joking about the wells fargo

Continuing on from what Stone said, diagnosing/repairing may be a better and cheaper option (albeit not 'easier').
I took my 5151 in to a electronics repair shop, told them what happened, he just looked and said 'bad transistor' - less than 2 hours total labour and it was fixed and tested. If the card/MB is at fault it's special parts, but if it's honestly just the monitor then you can just print out the circuit diagram (if available) and get a quote from a TV/Electronics repair guy (preferably someone who has been doing repairs for 20+ years).

Back