• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Anyone want a PowerMac 6100/60?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I don't even know if the Apple crowd considers a 1994 system vintage.

But I've got a 6100/60 here in all of its Spindlerian glory. No CDROM, but hard and floppy drives. Worked the last time I had it hooked up--comes with a RJ45 network adapter cable. No fancy stuff like the AV card; just the basic machine. I'll even include the ADB mouse and keyboard if it'll do you any good.

Pay shipping (or pickup) + whatever you think is worthwhile from 97405. It's sat around here for so long that I don't know what I'm hanging onto it for. I'll also consider parting it out, if that's any enticement.

Are non-Jobs Macs collectible? :lol:

I don't even know if the Apple crowd considers a 1994 system vintage.

But I've got a 6100/60 here in all of its Spindlerian glory. No CDROM, but hard and floppy drives. Worked the last time I had it hooked up--comes with a RJ45 network adapter cable. No fancy stuff like the AV card; just the basic machine. I'll even include the ADB mouse and keyboard if it'll do you any good.

Pay shipping (or pickup) + whatever you think is worthwhile from 97405. It's sat around here for so long that I don't know what I'm hanging onto it for. I'll also consider parting it out, if that's any enticement.

Are non-Jobs Macs collectible? :lol:

If no one snags it, eBay it. The 6100/60 is the first Power Mac ever. They seem to pull in decent money on eBay when you mention that it's the very first Power Mac to come out.

Yeah, the NuBus PPC 601s are universally considered "vintage" by Mac enthusiasts. Even the slightly later Power Macintosh 7500 can be upgraded with a G4 and then be hacked to run OS X. But the 6100/7100/8100 are stuck with Mac OS 9.1 as the top, and are generally dog-slow even with that.

The 60 MHz variant you have (as opposed to the speed-bumped 66 MHz a couple months later,) also has the dubious honor of being able to run System 7.1. Only the day-of-release x100 series can run 7.1, the few-months-later speed bumped models require 7.5 or higher. It makes for an odd experience having a PowerPC running an OS that "feels" so pre-PowerPC.

If it was the AV model, I'd take it, but I already have a 6100/66 DOS Compatible, and a 7100/66 (the 7.1-bootable 7100.)

Also, one important thing: Do you have the display dongle? The x100-series machines, when using stock video, have a funny HD-45 port for video/audio/ADB (precursor to the ADC cable used in the early 2000s and then the Thunderbolt cable?) that requires an oddball adapter to work with any monitor other than the one 14" display Apple released at that time. (See http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/legacy/powermac_6100_series.pdf first section page 7 for the connector, "DOS Compatibility Upgrade" page 25 for the adapter - yes, I use that ugly spaghetti mess on my DOS Compatibility model - even worse, I then use the adapter to bring it BACK to HD45 for the display!.)

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I do have the display dongle that adapts the 6100 to a standard DA15 Apple monitor connector, as well as the network dongle. I then have a DA15-to-DE15H VGA cable that finishes the job. The same cable is used to connect my Beige G3 to a VGA monitor.

The A/V model just had a common A/V card in the PDS slot, nothing special about it.

I have the 6100 and 6100 DOS (it has DOS Compatible written on the case). Those funky audio and video custom adapters is what turns most people off of the 6100 line (and slow PPC chip), but they are not that bad actually. If you have the matching monitor it would be a nice setup for somebody.

I got rid of the monitor some time ago--it was disintegrating just sitting on the shelf. Apple had some very bad plastic back then. You'd look and there'd be another piece dropped off the darned thing.

Back