• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Link MC5 A/S terminal

Elvi

Experienced Member
So i was dumpsterdiving a litle and found this terminal, at first i just thought it was a odd monitor with a wider than normal cable on it but today when i took a bigger look at it was actually a terminal and it does boot up but i'm missing the keyboard and it doesn't have a normal din or ps/2 type connector under it but a telephone plug :/

Anyway i've tried to find some info on what specs it has but mr google isn't so forthcomming, any ideas like what cpu and so on it has, besides i can't use untill i either find a keyboard for it or make some sort of adapter with your help offcourse ;)

It's your basic VT220-style terminal. Not particularly uncommon; Link was a division of Wyse (who will soon be a division of Dell). If it's like other Wyse terminals, it has an 8031/8051 family CPU.

Last edited:
any ideas on the kayboard then? from the images of it i can find on the net it looks like any normal keyboard except it has a telephone plug, 3 pinns in the plug on the terminal.

wish that could help Chuck but i don't have a single one of those and i also went back to that place where i found the terminal but no keyboard, and i thought i saw one when i took the terminal :(

edit, oops the plug has 4 pins not 3

Last edited:
You might search around for that model of keyboard that tingo added. Perhaps you could find that cheap on ebay or elsewhere. It's interesting that it says it's universal for all terminals. I'm guessing there's an * in there somewhere but if you do determine Wyse is compatible it'd be a good lead for part number searches. Worst case scenario you could try selling the unit without the keyboard and see what you can recover from that.

Yeah, I have two Altos keyboards (P/N 840338-01) (one with some missing keycaps) and one Wyse keyboard (P/N 840358-01,) all three with phone jacks and compatible with my WY-60. If you can find out whether they'll work for your terminal, I'd be happy to send one off to a good home :)

doubt i could afford to get one from the other side of the world, pretty low on cash that i can spend + i've never ordered from outside my own country anyway :| don't even have the means to do it.

anyway what's the worst that could happen if i plug in the kaypro II keyboard, not work or could the terminal kill it?

A worst case scenario would indeed blow the circuit or keyboard by putting voltage somewhere it shouldn't be. I don't know if that will happen in that scenario, but that's certainly the worst case scenario.

The worst thing, in my opinion, is that you'll blow the Kaypro keyboard, which would really be a shame.

I guess I'd start by identifying the power supply and ground pins on the connector with a voltmeter, then proceed from there.

I just got around to checking where the power pinns are on both the link and the kaypro ii, the link seem to have them at pin 1 and 4 and an odd voltage of 1.8v, didn't directly see where the voltage pinns were on the kaypro but it wasn't on 1 + 4.

Heres a funny thing with the link though, i accedently shorted the pinns on it and on the screen i got it's setup lol.

Back