• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ms-dos 6.22 cd

The big caveat here is being able to make the laptop useable enough.

One big hint I can give is that sometime, you can use drivers that are for an "ancestor" to the current device. I'm not sure how long this stretches as I have not done this in ages, but sometimes researching the chipsets and various other "bits" of the hardware in the computer can bring back results of what it evolved from. I recall reading somewhere years ago that one was able to use an NVIDIA MX440 PCI 128MB card with a driver from a VooDoo card in Windows 3.1x.

Also, the widescreen issue, there was some guy awhile back I found through google who had hacked the drivers for Windows 3.1x to allow widescreen resolution, and he had an explaination on how to do it. I'm not sure if it's still there but worth a look, it could at least get you the right aespect ratio if nothing else.

And there is a way for him to get the full capacity of his drive seeable to Windows 3.1x, actually, two....

1 - He could use a partition editor program to create FAT-16 partitions on the machine (up to 4 2.1GB partitions maximum), and have that be his workspace for Windows 3.1. This would be the easliest...

2 - The Other would be to use the DOS for Windows 95, 98, or otherwise DOS 7.xx with FAT-32 support, partition the drive as normal, install Windows 3.1x, disable 32-bit Disk Access in control panel, install a new custom driver for that that is availible somewhere on the interwebs, and then run it from there, giving him Windows 3.1x on his machine, minus all the headaches of FAT-16 limitations.

I've done both, the 2nd one is a tad trialsome though, it does not always work.

And there is a way for him to get the full capacity of his drive seeable to Windows 3.1x, actually, two....

1 - He could use a partition editor program to create FAT-16 partitions on the machine (up to 4 2.1GB partitions maximum), and have that be his workspace for Windows 3.1. This would be the easliest....
I dunno, seems somebody's math is faulty here, it's either yours or mine. :)

4 2.1GB partitions = 8.4GB. With a 500GB. drive there's still 491.6 GB. unused. Full capacity seeable to WIN 3.1? That surely doesn't do it.

Last edited:
I guess that marcoguy was thinking to have a really snappy machine, however for DOS/WIN3.11 I think that a PI, or even a PIII, would be a better choice for that purpose. This is just not a suitable machine for that stuff.

The same kind of effect would be better achieved using FreeBSD for the command line and something like Fluxbox for the DE. It's a proven way to go for a snappy box and you won't be wasting your resources. Besides, if (like me) you like DOS, you'll absolutely love BSD. ;)

Yeah, and they're not all big clunky things either, my Pentium III Toshiba's cost around $20 6 months ago and they're sleek, quick, and came with a brand new battery and docking station. 4:3 LCD makes resolutions in older versions easy too, although I just threw 98 on mine.

No harm in it if he's dual booting tho, that way he can use the other 95% of his computer in Windows 7/8.

The whole point I am doing this is so I can say I did. You've seen plenty of p3s running wfw311. How many i5s have you seen doing it? And for the last time, I know it won't use all of my rescources. I have windows 8 for that. I have heard of, but not found, a patch that gives windows 3.1 the capability to run xp programs. Any info on this?

Haven't seen that unfortunately, but it is quite popular to throw the 3.1 GUI on top of XP and pretend. I did that when Windows 95 first came out, was a little too attached to the old UI. They kept the ability right until XP SP1.
I'd love to be able to run XP programs even on Win98 :/

Edit: but there was the WIN32S patch which allowed for some 32 bit Windows apps to run, just got reminded of that off-site. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win32s should let you run a few Win95 compat apps.

Last edited:
I dunno, seems somebody's math is faulty here, it's either yours or mine. :)

4 2.1GB partitions = 8.4GB. With a 500GB. drive there's still 491.6 GB. unused. Full capacity seeable to WIN 3.1? That surely doesn't do it.

Pardon that first line, I meant to say make AS MUCH seeable as possible. Not everything. The second method makes all of it visible, but the first gives as much space as he can aquire using FAT16

It's such a time paradox running Windows 3.1 on a 17 inch laptop that has a sticker that says "Designed for Windows 7". So far, I have booted Windows 3.1, messed with the display drivers (had no luck) and played a game of solitaire. Where should I go from here?
You Sir have reach the ultimate aim of Windows- to play solitaire.

I'd be looking at the first browsers. Netscape 1.x or perhaps even Cello. Apart from those novelties, I'd try to configure the DOS better - you also have a lot of batch files to write now. :)

I have been configuring autoexec.bat all along, if that's what you mean. I have never had the need to write any other batch files. I played Solitaire because that was the first Windows game I ever played that wasn't Pinball in Windows 98 so it has some sentimental value. Of course, I have done more since. I've been installing things like Win32s so it's getting pretty beefed up. If I can find a network driver for the Atheros AR9285 wifi adapter or the Realtek PCIe GBE network adapter, I can install all sorts of internet things like TCP/IP 32b and MS Internet Tools 5.01. I'm limited to 256Mb of flash drive space, so things might get a little tight in there with all the extra drivers and programs and about a million games when I'm donne with it.

I have never had the need to write any other batch files.

Amazing. Well if you only access files from Windows you probably only need the autoexec and the win.bat ones. However if you want to do much in DOS they are essential. You did title the thread "Ms-dos 6.22 cd", so I'm still assuming that you were serious about the DOS part. :)

For example I get tired of "dir /o-g" over and over so I just type "d". In fact I do the same on my *nix boxes. It's not just a matter of laziness and also a matter of time and (my poor) memory. To FTP to other computers one shouldn't have to type the whole string, with IP, login and password, followed by a bunch of directory changes. That's pretty geeky but embarrassingly inefficient when it's for a computer you access often. This approach also works well for a dim-wit like me. Starting games in DOS is another place where you might want, or need, to have certain parameters set in the environment and a batch file is called for. And what about spell check, and on and on. Anyway, do as you please, I'm just giving subtle hints about how to use MS-DOS if you want to play around with it. :)

Don't bother with the Wifi, even if you get the card working, you still need to be able to connect and you'd likely have to remove security from your router to do it (things like WPA2-PSK etc).

But the wired networking should be quite doable because RealTek is quite good with drivers because their chips are used in lots of weird situations. A quick google and I found lots of DOS drivers for their chips on their own webpage - including NDIS2 (Win31/LanMan etc). Even if you can't find your specific model, you could get lucky and find an older model that your chip is still compatible with.

http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/do...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Amazing. Well if you only access files from Windows you probably only need the autoexec and the win.bat ones. However if you want to do much in DOS they are essential. You did title the thread "Ms-dos 6.22 cd", so I'm still assuming that you were serious about the DOS part. :)

For example I get tired of "dir /o-g" over and over so I just type "d". In fact I do the same on my *nix boxes. It's not just a matter of laziness and also a matter of time and (my poor) memory. To FTP to other computers one shouldn't have to type the whole string, with IP, login and password, followed by a bunch of directory changes. That's pretty geeky but embarrassingly inefficient when it's for a computer you access often. This approach also works well for a dim-wit like me. Starting games in DOS is another place where you might want, or need, to have certain parameters set in the environment and a batch file is called for. And what about spell check, and on and on. Anyway, do as you please, I'm just giving subtle hints about how to use MS-DOS if you want to play around with it. :)

I play with MS-DOS plenty, trust me. :D I just haven't used batch files. Thanks for the tip!

Sorry to double post, but I just got Windows 3.1 online! Yay! I am currently posting from Opera 3.62. Internet connection speeds things up a lot because I don't have to reboot into Windows 8 just to download a driver then reboot again with the USB stick in so I can install it.

Sorry to double post, but I just got Windows 3.1 online! Yay! I am currently posting from Opera 3.62. Internet connection speeds things up a lot because I don't have to reboot into Windows 8 just to download a driver then reboot again with the USB stick in so I can install it.
Nice, well done! Are you using the built in NIC, or did you have to go with a more supported PCMCIA NIC?

I have a small hand full of even WIFI PCMCIA cards that have DOS/WIN31 support, however like SpidersWeb said, they don't run with WPA or even WEP, I actually run a separate "unsecured" GUESTNET 802.11b/g that is user authenticated via web page (so I don't have to worry about people leeching or using my connection for illicit things).

It turned out I could use the onboard rj45 adapter in my laptop. I had the PCI version and the drivers and I didn't know it! I don't have any other wifi adapters other than the one in my laptop and another one of the same model from my old laptop. So much for wifi. I'm trying to use uide as my cdrom driver, and it does recognize the cdrom, but it says there's an XMS error. I really want to install PC-DOS 2000, as it's my favorite version, but I can't find a bootable install CD anywhere.

Yes. I know all about that and would definitely use it, but I have never gotten Windows 3.x to load in it. I even tried the patch here, but I couldn't get it to work. How is Freedos as an option?

Last edited:
Back