• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 8 box art

marcoguy

Experienced Member
So I didn't really know wher4e to put this, as it's really more modern computing than vintage, but just for laughs I put together some box art for Windows 8 RP. Has anybody else done this? Here it is:

Windows 8.jpg

Well? How is it? I know it's not exactly vintage computer related, but I just really wanted to show it to somebody. I borrowed a little text from the MS Windows 8 page, and wrote some on my own. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Taking the vexillological approach:

The top one is the Shetland Islands flag designed by Roy Grönneberg in 1969. The bottom flag is that of Finland which was adopted in 1920.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with copyright or trademark infringement. :)

Well, I was just using the Windows 8 logo from MS. The top one it the same thing sideways for the spine.

Well, I was just using the Windows 8 logo from MS. The top one it the same thing sideways for the spine.

I do think your design looks very nice - and professional. :)

I just couldn't help thinking about when MS announced the new logo, and their spokesperson said they wanted to get away from the flag look. I thought that was an odd, and somewhat insulting, thing to say. If I didn't know anything about flags I just wouldn't say anything about them, and you'd think a spokesperson for such a big company would take that same approach.

Carry on. :)

Absolutely; exactly what we need, more Win 8 stuff in the vintage computer section of a vintage computer forum...

Sheesh...
I too find it out of place. But then I find any mention of Windows 8 to be offensive anywhere. ;) I was just trying to be nice since the OP was obviously lost.

So I didn't really know wher4e to put this, as it's really more modern computing than vintage, but just for laughs I put together some box art for Windows 8 RP. Has anybody else done this? Here it is:

<snip>

Well? How is it? I know it's not exactly vintage computer related, but I just really wanted to show it to somebody. I borrowed a little text from the MS Windows 8 page, and wrote some on my own. Any thoughts?

Marco, seriously ... "didn't really know wher4e to put this" and "it's not exactly vintage computer related" ? Here, let me help you ... completely off topic, so it is now in the off-topic area.

Please make an effort. Besides annoying the other forum members it also generates work for moderators to move things. Make more of an effort.

Given that the pile of dung UI that's effectively useless if you own a REAL computer (though I hear it's great on tablets) much less one that has multiple displays... seems to be nothing but a ripoff of AOL circa 1996...

Maybe it IS a vintage computing topic.

Because throwing a bunch of randomly sized boxes in random constantly changing colors is so 'easy' to use? Am I the only one who on UI's like that ends up screaming at the display "For **** sake just show me a ***** alphabetical list!!!"

But what do I know, I 'dumb down' windows 7 to win98 style functionality... and have the suspicion that just like with XP, i'm going to be on Win7 for quite a long while.

First of all, I would like to say I am sorry I didn't put this in "Off Topic". It was two in the morning and I was just not thinking. That was really dumb on my part. I too find the UI to be useless if you are not on a tablet. I had a heck of a time with Windows 8 on my Laptop. It got very irritating and I ended up just switching back to Windows 7. The text on the box art isn't what I actually think of it, but I was trying to make it realistic and you certainly wouldn't find "Annoying UI unless you have a tablet!" on the cover of a Windows box.

. . . but I was trying to make it realistic and you certainly wouldn't find "Annoying UI unless you have a tablet!" on the cover of a Windows box.

How about giving Shetland a credit?
125px-Flag_of_Shetland.svg.png

I wonder if there is somebody in Shetland who knows about the Release Preview's logo and is angry?

Not very colorful... That color scheme would fit better with a server version of Windows, I think.

Your cover looks fine to me. As far as the OS itself, I'm with deathshadow. The way I feel about the whole situation is that it's one thing to introduce a new interface method for tablets and/or touchscreen devices. It's another thing entirely to also COMPLETELY REMOVE the existing interface that has proven to be effective, efficient, and is now second nature to most despite constant loud outcry from about 90% of all Windows users.

This is just not how you run a good company. I can't understand why Ballmer and the other high ranking board members would possibly try to force this on everybody. Are they trying to lose money? I am sure Bill Gates is facepalming over all of this. Unless they decide to bring back the regular start menu before the Windows 8 launch, or add it again later with a patch, I will absolutely be sticking to Windows 7 as long as possible.

If they really want to focus on this new Metro crap, they should just set it as the default interface but keep the ability to revert to the classic start menu and wait for feedback on it before doing something this drastic. This is going to bomb 10x harder than Vista if they stick to their guns about this.

It's unfortunate that they are doing this, because I have the 64-bit release preview of Windows 8 installed on a spare Pentium 4 box (a 3.06 GHz chip overclocked to a sexy 4.05 GHz) and I am extremely impressed with everything else they've done. The boot time is about 10 to 12 seconds, the memory management is very much improved, and it's simply faster all around. Very noticeable improvements to the kernel.

If it weren't for Metro being forced on me, I would switch to Windows 8 in a heartbeat and I think there are a lot of people who feel exactly the same way after giving it a test drive. Microsoft is going to feel the impact of this decision where it hurts the most; their bank account. They will need to either change their minds or completely fail with this version.

Last edited:
Unless they decide to bring back the regular start menu before the Windows 8 launch, or add it again later with a patch, I will absolutely be sticking to Windows 7 as long as possible.

Are you saying the UI in Windows 7 is something 'palatable' at all?

Yeah, the Windows 7 start menu is much better than the classic one, imo. I set the theme to classic though.

I'm pretty Windows ignorant, but people ask me to look at their computers so I click on the start menu. However, isn't that an awkward way to do it? Isn't there a better way to start programs and navigate? I'm just asking because of my ignorance on the matter. :)

I'm pretty Windows ignorant, but people ask me to look at their computers so I click on the start menu. However, isn't that an awkward way to do it? Isn't there a better way to start programs and navigate? I'm just asking because of my ignorance on the matter. :)

Well, after you starting using programs it keeps your most commonly used ones right in the start menu list, and you can permanently pin certain programs too. If what you want to run isn't right there on the first click, you just click "all programs" and everything is there in alphabetical order.

Yeah, the Windows 7 start menu is much better than the classic one, imo. I set the theme to classic though.

Ok, but Windows XP has this "new and improved" Start Menu, which is different that the "classic one".

I can only shudder of thinking how hard would it be to get this simple and complete view of my start menu with Windows 7 limited(*) capabilities in the respect:

startmenu2.png

startmenuk.png

(*) Microsoft itself has been quoted with "avoiding congnitive overload in the user" as one of the guiding principles in the changes in Windows Vista/7 UI. I say: screw that!

Last edited:
Back