• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New guy with a PS/2 mod 80

Teh_Danz0r

Hello everyone! My name is Dan, and I'm That New Guy(tm)... but I'll save the introduction for later. :D

About a year ago, a friend and I saved several systems from destruction in a building demolition. Unfortunately, I couldn't take all of the systems with me, since I was under the impression that there would be a couple of APPLE II systems, so I took the car instead of the truck. My mistake :mad:

Anyway, one of the systems that was recovered was an old PS/2 model 80 type 8580-111. It was in alright shape, even though it had definitely seen better days. I have cleaned it, for the most part, but I've grown too giddy to finish cleaning the case (it's just some black marks on the exterior, anyway). I have tested the PSU and the CMOS battery, with both appearing to be in working order. However, when I go to power on the system, I receive an "Error 211," before it can POST. I have looked up the error, and it appears to be a problem in the 64K portion of RAM.

The system does have its memory module installed, and I have made sure that none of the contacts were oxidized or obstructed in any other way. I have inspected the memory board lightly and haven't noticed any obvious bad solder joints, and I have run some continuity tests with my multimeter. I can't quite figure out what to try from here, exactly. Any ideas?

Some additional information about the system, that I've noticed: it appears it has been modified, with (what I think are) aftermarket wires (brown wires, hotglued to the motherboard, to prevent a mess of wires) bridging some components. My guess is that it was for overclocking. Also, it appears to be without a coprocessor, which I would guess is optional in this system?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Welcome to these forums.
Thanks! :D I actually stumbled upon this site while searching for information about the mod80.

The web page at http://mastodonpc.tripod.com/personal/8580-111.html describes two RAM sockets, and you write of one "module".
I've got the feeling that two RAM modules may be required. Have you one RAM module or two?

Ooh, thanks. And yes, there are two RAM sockets, but I have only one module. That is a good point, as I just assumed it could run using only one.

Ooh, thanks. And yes, there are two RAM sockets, but I have only one module. That is a good point, as I just assumed it could run using only one.
Found the Model 80 technical reference: http://www.mcamafia.de/pdf/m80_ssi.pdf

From the earlier web site pointed to, we know that the 111 version of the model 80 is a 20 MHz machine.
PDF page 13 of the Technical Reference indicates that the 20 MHz version of the model 80 motherboard is 'type 2'.
PDF page 50 contains RAM requirements.
My reading of page 50 is that is that the type 2 motherboard can use either 1MB or 2MB modules, and that the minimum configuration is one 1MB module in connector 1.
Is your module in connector 1 (connector closest to the power supply according to page 71) ?

Found the Model 80 technical reference: http://www.mcamafia.de/pdf/m80_ssi.pdf

From the earlier web site pointed to, we know that the 111 version of the model 80 is a 20 MHz machine.
PDF page 13 of the Technical Reference indicates that the 20 MHz version of the model 80 motherboard is 'type 2'.
PDF page 50 contains RAM requirements.
My reading of page 50 is that is that the type 2 motherboard can use either 1MB or 2MB modules, and that the minimum configuration is one 1MB module in connector 1.
Is your module in connector 1 (connector closest to the power supply according to page 71) ?

Ahh, I see. Well, I first tried it in the one farthest away, since it was labeled J15, and the one closest was J16. When that didn't work, I tried it in the other connector. Neither worked. =(

May I respectfully say that this thread is in dire need of some pictures...?

No you may not! That is entirely unreasonable! How dare you make such a request?! (I'm acquiring the images from my camera as we speak, and will be up shortly. =P)

17b7b336.jpg

The case components. I disassembled everything to check the mobo solder joints.

f99181a7.jpg

Model and serial numbers.

baf0c7fe.jpg

The removable storage. A tape drive and a 3.5in floppy disc drive.

e716a8cc.jpg

The cards: networking, parallel, serial, and ESDI interface.

7f2a9871.jpg

The powersupply; rusted from contact with decaying foam.

31ed6e53.jpg

All of the parts laid out for re-re-re-reinspection.

3c912710.jpg

The hard drives; a 115MB ESDI and a SCSI of unknown capacity.

b2122b0a.jpg

The RAM module.

4ebd2a48.jpg

The motherboard.

Last edited:
I can see the brown wires that you referred to in the top right quadrant of the motherboard photo. Hookup wire, possibly held down by a typical technique of the day - a particular Loctite product. You can see the same brown wires in the model 80-111 motherboard photo at http://ummr.altervista.org/ps270mb.htm

The part number of 15F6822 of the RAM card indicates a 2 MB card.

Whatever you may do, don't remove those wires. Rework like that was far from uncommon on IBM PS/2s of the time.

As far as I know, IBM only used those special memory cards in two places...the PS/2 Model 80 and a memory expansion board that used the same design with a connector at a right angle so they'd lay flat on the board. Still, someone should have one if you need it. (I have a bad 4MB card here from Kingston.) Only one card is required to be in place for the system to work. Maybe you have a bad card, or there is some slightly conductive crud on it or the motherboard causing problems?

The expansion cards you have are as follows:

IBM LAN/A Ethernet adapter (early revision, long card)
Uncached SCSI/A Adapter (probably an early rev from the looks of things)
IBM Multipurpose serial board (can't recall the exact name of this one, but it provides for several different means of serial communications)
ESDI board

I can see the brown wires that you referred to in the top right quadrant of the motherboard photo. Hookup wire, possibly held down by a typical technique of the day - a particular Loctite product. You can see the same brown wires in the model 80-111 motherboard photo at http://ummr.altervista.org/ps270mb.htm

The part number of 15F6822 of the RAM card indicates a 2 MB card.

Interesting, on the thing about the wires. Thanks! :D

Whatever you may do, don't remove those wires. Rework like that was far from uncommon on IBM PS/2s of the time.

Hah, don't worry. I merely mentioned them as a curiousity.

As far as I know, IBM only used those special memory cards in two places...the PS/2 Model 80 and a memory expansion board that used the same design with a connector at a right angle so they'd lay flat on the board. Still, someone should have one if you need it. (I have a bad 4MB card here from Kingston.) Only one card is required to be in place for the system to work. Maybe you have a bad card, or there is some slightly conductive crud on it or the motherboard causing problems?

Hmm... I see. I'm honestly not sure, as I haven't been able to find anything that may be interfering with it. I did make sure to clean the RAM card, and lightly cleaned the motherboard. The only corrosion that I saw was around a screw-hole (the one at the center of the mobo). I did try to practice the upmost of caution while working with it, since I did want to see it running again. Any ideas or suggestions for how I could figure out what the problem is? I admit, my knowledge on diagnosing and repairing older systems like these is limited.

1. You've checked the power supply and CMOS battery.
2. You've checked the contacts on the RAM card/sockets.
3. We've established that the use of only one RAM card is valid.
4. We've established that the RAM card you have is valid for the machine.
5. You tried both RAM sockets (although we now know which one is the one to be used when only one RAM card is fitted).

It's hard to tell from the photos as to whether or not it is possible to insert a RAM card in the wrong way.

My gut feeling is that one (or more) of the chips on the RAM card has failed. I can't think of any way, other than the obvious of card substitution, for you to determine whether or not the card has indeed failed. If a replacement card is expensive, perhaps someone on these forums has a model 80 (of type 2 motherboard) and can test your card for you.

The photos show significant oxidisation on metal surfaces within the computer. Perhaps make one more check that there is no deteriation of the contacts on the RAM card and sockets.

I did make sure to clean the RAM card, and lightly cleaned the motherboard. The only corrosion that I saw was around a screw-hole (the one at the center of the mobo). I did try to practice the upmost of caution while working with it, since I did want to see it running again. Any ideas or suggestions for how I could figure out what the problem is? I admit, my knowledge on diagnosing and repairing older systems like these is limited.
Well, I think you're doing fine so far. The only thing that can really test those cards is another IBM PS/2 Model 80. If you'd like for someone to test the card you have, I can help with that. (If you're outside of the US, that might get to be a bit expensive on the shipping front.)

1. You've checked the power supply and CMOS battery.
2. You've checked the contacts on the RAM card/sockets.
3. We've established that the use of only one RAM card is valid.
4. We've established that the RAM card you have is valid for the machine.
5. You tried both RAM sockets (although we now know which one is the one to be used when only one RAM card is fitted).

It's hard to tell from the photos as to whether or not it is possible to insert a RAM card in the wrong way.

My gut feeling is that one (or more) of the chips on the RAM card has failed. I can't think of any way, other than the obvious of card substitution, for you to determine whether or not the card has indeed failed. If a replacement card is expensive, perhaps someone on these forums has a model 80 (of type 2 motherboard) and can test your card for you.

The photos show significant oxidisation on metal surfaces within the computer. Perhaps make one more check that there is no deteriation of the contacts on the RAM card and sockets.
Yeah, that's what I've feared as well. It appears that most of the oxidation, however, is on the PSU and disc drives. The only oxidation on the motherboard being where one of the screws held it down to the case assembly. And no, the RAM card and socket are notched to allow fitting only one way.

Well, I think you're doing fine so far. The only thing that can really test those cards is another IBM PS/2 Model 80. If you'd like for someone to test the card you have, I can help with that. (If you're outside of the US, that might get to be a bit expensive on the shipping front.)
Thanks, and I do actually live in the US. Illinois, to be more precise.

Thanks, and I do actually live in the US. Illinois, to be more precise.
You're in luck, then. If you want to send me your memory card for testing, I am also in Illinois. Send me a private message.

I should still have a spare Model 80 planar board if it comes to that. I think it's a 25MHz version.

Thanks! I'll be sending you a message soon. I might be able to send it out soonish, seeing as I have some other packages that need sending.

Back