• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Performa 6100/60 No video?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I decided to haul out the old PowerMac 6100/60. And got nothing.

Okay, the PRAM battery was gone--replace it, but still no video--and no sound through the internal speaker. The system boots from the hard disk as far as I can tell, and it also boots from the Network Access 7.5.3 floppy.

But no video--a logic probe test on the DA15 end of the HD45 adapter says that there's no pin wiggling--just static high/low logic levels.

Just in case the thing misunderstood me, I removed the PRAM battery and powered it up, then replaced the battery. Same story (the battery measures 3.66V).

And no sound whatsoever from the speaker. Checking the continuity from the connector, the speaker's good.

PSU voltages are well within margins (+5.06 and +11.88 V).

Apple PowerPC boards are a mystery to me and I don't have any documentation that I can work from.

Any ideas from you more seasoned Performians?

The speaker could be dead because of a leaking capacitor in the audio circuit. Video should work or the system tends not to boot, could you have a bad video adapter or maybe didnt insert it in all the way? Do you happen to have a video cards in the PDS slot? Are you using a good DA15 to VGA adapter?

And then the easy fix:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA35928

Thanks, been there. Obviously, if my speaker output is kaput, I'm not going to hear 3 chimes.

The DA15-to-VGA adapter that I'm using is set up for 1024x768 video and that might be the problem, since it seems that the 6100 can do 640x480 tops. I'll try a different monitor ID and see if that helps.

One thing at a time...

640x480 is the default when you change the battery unless you have an adapter then you can also do 832x624 which is not common on the PC side and not sure if LCD monitors like that at all.

Old macs (68k line not sure of the Nubus PPC) like SOG monitors (Sync on green) so you might have issues with an LCD Monitor. I use old Sony Trinitrons that do SOG.

It seems that the 6100 doesn't like/understand the higher resolution monitor types. My cable is set up for 21" Multisync and the 6100 says nothing doing. If I change the type to VGA/SVGA (S1-S2 jumpered, S0 open), video output comes out fine.

Now, on to the speaker issues...

FWIW, attached is a PDF document concerning video connectors. It also exists as a web page, but occurrences of it seem to be vanishing. Best to keep a local copy.

Attachments

• VideoConn.zip
    48 KB · Views: 1
My own 6100 with a dead battery requires a PRAM reset to boot. Just leave adapters on the "multisync" setting, the 6100 is new enough that it supports SVGA video modes. The on-board video uses shared RAM, I think it takes 1MB tops. Some of those adapters have sync splitters in them and allow SoG monitors to work on new Macs, or H+V/composite sync monitors to work on old SoG machines.

My discovery is that the 6100 doesn't support the type 17 monitor (S0=ground, S1-cathode, S2=anode). VGA/SVGA, type 14, S0=open, S1-to-S2) is fine. I use type 17 with my beige G3, but the same cable doesn't work with the 6100.

I have a Belkin HDI-45 to VGA adapter laying around, yes there was enough demand to produce them apparently. I should compare the jumper table with my standard Belkin Mac to VGA adapter and see if its omitted.

Booted MacOS 7.5.5 from the SCSI drive. Tried to browse this forum with MSIE 4.01--it was hopeless; the display was completely unreadable--IE simply couldn't render it correctly and was clearly straining under the load--it took almost 20 seconds just to close the window!

Any clues on the speaker issue? Any clue on which chip drives it?

Okay, a bit more on the speaker. The traces are impossible to follow visually, as they're buried in the inner layers of the PCB. However, some probing turns out that they're connected to the output of U7 near the left rear side of the PCB, an SO8 TD7052A one-watt amplifier.

Next job is to see if the IC's getting power and the volume control pin is set appropriately. (Hmmm, is that setting kept in PRAM? Could it be that there's nothing wrong with the board? Just trying to think with my engineer's hat on.

Well, U7 is fine--I can touch a test lead to pin 2 and get a hum out of the speaker. And the sound isn't muted.

On to the next suspect. I've got a feeling that there's going to be a big facepalm moment in here somewhere...

Does the HD45 adapter need to loop the sound back if no monitor speakers are being used?

Last edited:
The default speaker setting is NOT mute, so replacing the dead battery would get you back to the default level which is audible.
I had a problem with a LC III where one bad cap killed audio (replaced it and all is well), same thing is common with compacts and other 68K macs.

Eh, screw it. I'm spending too much time on a "Road Apple". It boots and runs--good enough, I guess.

I'm going to go blind tracing the circuitry on this thing--and then there's the wonderful :puke: Apple technical documentation that doesn't even mention what the various undocumented chips do.

I wonder if Mac sales came from unrepairable Macs being tossed in the bin. I've often wondered how many Mac users have used their system past the lifetime of the PRAM battery.

Last edited:
often wondered how many Mac users have used their system past the lifetime of the PRAM battery.
most of them, i think
only replacing the pram battery is not enough - even, many systems don't need a (good) pram battery to boot -
at no boot
first things to do :
removing the ram/vram, cleaning the contacts, replacing the ram
removing and replacing HD's, floppy drives, .....
removing unnecessary extra cards
booting with extentions off (hold down shift key at start up)
PRAM-reset
CUDA-reset, if available

Last edited:
Okay, AF, why don't I get sound on my 6100/60? (I don't even get the startup chime). PRAM battery's new, the PRAM's been reset, system boots and runs, but no sound, ever.

Check the speaker output port. I believe it mechanically disconnects the audio from the internal speaker so if it's damaged that might be the issue.

Speaker is fine--as noted, if I touch the input pin to the audio amp I get a buzz from the speaker, so it's connected. Al K. has given me some of the pinout information on the AWACS chip, so I'm going to get my 'scope out and see what I can see...

I have a 7600 that had similar symptoms (a 'little' different model and it had an upgrade card installed). I swapped the plain cpu card back in and after that it booted fine, I reinstalled the upgrade card and it was still fine. The upshot of this is that while you are reseating items, reseat the CPU card as well, since I am pretty sure that was the deciding factor. I also did all the standard recommended items before I got to that point (pram, battery, reseating everything else, etc.).

- Juror22

Back