• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 100 woes

I saw this IMG_0129.jpg TRS-80 Model 100 up on eBay, described as being in GREAT WORKING CONDITION (caps as per the eBay page). I placed a max bid of $50 and eventually won the auction. I was pretty happy and excited, and waited anxiously for delivery.

It finally arrived, put some batteries in it (it didn't come with mains connector) and switched on. The screen lit up beautifully (well, it came on, you can't really call it lit up!). I hit the arrow keys, and the cursor jumped around the screen. I hit [Enter] and went into BASIC, started to type a test program... and that's when the problems started. Eight of the key didn't work! I was so disappointed. I opened the case (there was also a screw missing) and everything looked ok. I took the key caps off and cleaned everything (it was very dirty down there!!) but of course that didn't help the problem.

I guess I'll just have to get a second Model 100 and use one for parts. But it's such a shame that some eBayers misrepresent their items. The seller had pretty good feedback history, that's why I placed a bid, and the GREAT WORKING CONDITION bit too. I shot off an email to the seller, and he said that it was OK when he packaged it up. Although I can't really see how eight keys were damaged by a transcontinental flight, now I've had bottles of whiskey get smashed in my luggage but never key switches!

This is why so many people are wary of eBay, saying it's the box of chocolates way of buying... ForrestGump2.jpg you never know what you're gonna get! When I get that second Model 100 I'll post an update of how it works. Until then, it does make a great addition to my collection, albeit not in GREAT WORKING CONDITION, and a great conversation piece!

I saw this View attachment 9912 TRS-80 Model 100 up on eBay, described as being in GREAT WORKING CONDITION (caps as per the eBay page). I placed a max bid of $50 and eventually won the auction. I was pretty happy and excited, and waited anxiously for delivery.

It finally arrived, put some batteries in it (it didn't come with mains connector) and switched on. The screen lit up beautifully (well, it came on, you can't really call it lit up!). I hit the arrow keys, and the cursor jumped around the screen. I hit [Enter] and went into BASIC, started to type a test program... and that's when the problems started. Eight of the key didn't work! I was so disappointed. I opened the case (there was also a screw missing) and everything looked ok. I took the key caps off and cleaned everything (it was very dirty down there!!) but of course that didn't help the problem.

I guess I'll just have to get a second Model 100 and use one for parts. But it's such a shame that some eBayers misrepresent their items. The seller had pretty good feedback history, that's why I placed a bid, and the GREAT WORKING CONDITION bit too. I shot off an email to the seller, and he said that it was OK when he packaged it up. Although I can't really see how eight keys were damaged by a transcontinental flight, now I've had bottles of whiskey get smashed in my luggage but never key switches!

This is why so many people are wary of eBay, saying it's the box of chocolates way of buying... View attachment 9915 you never know what you're gonna get! When I get that second Model 100 I'll post an update of how it works. Until then, it does make a great addition to my collection, albeit not in GREAT WORKING CONDITION, and a great conversation piece!

I would complain to eBay, your credit card company, bank, PayPal and make seller's live miserable.

Don't forget Club100 (http://www.club100.org/). Great resource. Join the listserv. I bought new keys from them in the past. Easy to replace.

Fez

Before you go about publicly accusing the seller of misrepresentation and "making his/her life miserable" (which is why I never sell anything on eBay) this is a quite common issue with M100s being mailed or shipped and it is indeed quite easily possible that it was damaged somewhere in that transcontinental flight even if it was well packed.

There is a support under the middle of the keyboard; if you put something not even terribly heavy on top of the keyboard you can easily crack the keyboard PCB around that support.

An easy fix most of the time if you're actually interested instead of just jumping to conclusions and bad-mouthing; knowing which specific keys don't work will almost exactly pinpoint the location of the break and all it usually takes is a close look at the pcb traces and to solder a jumper across it.

Last edited:
I had a Model 200 with a few non-working keys. It was actually fairly easy to disassemble the key switches in place and clean the contacts. On my machine the switch was a rubber cup on top of two semicircular contacts, the whole assembly was secured from the top by a plastic clip that can be removed with two thin screwdrivers after taking off the keycap. I'm assuming the keyboards are the same between the 100 and 200.

Don't forget Club100 (http://www.club100.org/). Great resource. Join the listserv. I bought new keys from them in the past. Easy to replace.

Fez

Thank Fez, that's a great suggestion, I'll have a look there!

Before you go about publicly accusing the seller of misrepresentation and "making his/her life miserable" (which is why I never sell anything on eBay) this is a quite common issue with M100s being mailed or shipped and it is indeed quite easily possible that it was damaged somewhere in that transcontinental flight even if it was well packed.

There is a support under the middle of the keyboard; if you put something not even terribly heavy on top of the keyboard you can easily crack the keyboard PCB around that support.

An easy fix most of the time if you're actually interested instead of just jumping to conclusions and bad-mouthing; knowing which specific keys don't work will almost exactly pinpoint the location of the break and all it usually takes is a close look at the pcb traces and to solder a jumper across it.

I didn't mean to bad-mouth anyone, on eBay I decided to not leave any feedback - as I couldn't in good conscience leave positive feedback and I didn't want to hurt the guys reputation (possibly his livelihood) over this. But thanks for the suggestion and info about the keyboard PCB.

Thank Fez, that's a great suggestion, I'll have a look there!

I didn't mean to bad-mouth anyone, on eBay I decided to not leave any feedback - as I couldn't in good conscience leave positive feedback and I didn't want to hurt the guys reputation (possibly his livelihood) over this. But thanks for the suggestion and info about the keyboard PCB.
Laptop computers are just as fragile as those whiskey bottles of yours, so I think you could at least have checked first if perhaps it was indeed damaged in shipping before you posted "it's such a shame that some eBayers misrepresent their items." with a link to the seller, not to mention Chris' suggestion to "make his life miserable"...

If you had sold a computer that was working as far as you could tell (for a pretty reasonable price BTW) and had packed it as well as you could, would you like to see yourself and your eBay identity accused of fraud on a world-wide forum like this?

Why didn't you just take the seller up on his 14-day money back guarantee?

Sorry if my suggestion to "make his/her life miserable" was over the top. I have just had such bad luck as both seller and buyer on eBay with vintage computers and parts. Items being intentionally misrepresented when being sold and returned after being damaged after purchase. Once I sold a perfect Tandy WP-3, the buyer took it to a Radio Shack looking to purchase a 3-party power transformer, admitted to me the salesclerk plugged in transformer, turned on the device and it "smoked and caused burning smell" only to demand a refund because "clearly the device was faulty." I did refund rather than deal with nonsense. I'm not agressive by nature, but got tired of people misrepresenting items on eBay and when I get burned I leverage the option available via eBay, my payor, etc.

Yes, things get damaged in transit. So, insurance should be purchased. But if an item is stated to be in mint or near condition and it arrives with keys not working, I'm not sure that "gee shucks, this can happen in shipping and you may need to solder in 4 new keys" is acceptable. Absolutely not intending to create a flame war here. Let's discuss wise ways to buy / sell vintage stuff on eBay. But, does not the seller have and obligation to pack the item so it arrives as described? I think so.

Thanks. Great insights! I appreciate the exchange of ideas and I am 100% open to the fact my initial counsel was perhaps too harsh.

Back