• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Iomega zip 100 dumb company

wdegroot

Experienced Member
after searching the www. and fimnally leaving an email at IOMEGA. that answered.
the link requires me to open an account and or refister.
BUT all I wanted to know what were the parameters hds cyl etc of a zip 100. IDE. I cannot even get back to my question!
I must register to join the free forum.
BUT all ranting aside
can I use this on an old pc with no auto detect? will the drive translate like many other ide drives.
or will it not be usable.
after my son clears the 'test station" vista updates on a friend's laptop", I will be able to hook up this old motherboard.
I recall that old utils for detecting HD are two kinds., some only read cmos but a few actually read the drive. I have ALL of them on a cd.
all 300 floppies. but which one?
OK NOW you guys want all my downloads from 1985-on ?

Are the IDE Zip drives ATA or ATAPI? It's been a long time, but somehow, I thought they were the latter. In that case, there's no CHS involved--it's strictly LBA (i.e. SCSI-style addressing).

my las and only experience with these drives was when I was running an olen pIII and plugged one in and no driver it woirked
that makes sense, when the test area is clear I will give it a try. with that old mb.
I do have some older small HD
and could possibly use one.
thank you

Which OS and which computer are you having problems with? Any specialized controller or other drivers being loaded? Are you trying multiple removable drives from different manufacturers at the same time? Sometimes, the drives would conflict.

Most internal IDE Zip drives were ATAPI capable but the earliest drives were not. The following details how to tell which Zip drive submodel you have and lists some common errors with possible fixes: http://pw2.netcom.com/~deepone/zipjaz/atapi.html

as I said no problem as yet
I am beginning to see that doing things with old hardware is noit going to be easy. I tried to look up a wd800 80gb drive
and wd and a bunch of other sites were no help
I guess having auto detect on later pc's made me lazy
tomorrow I will tiurn on the old beast.,

Newer PC's often have options that autodetect CDROM and ZIP drives, which is probably how you got it to work last time. Like a CDROM you usually can't access them until you've run the driver software.

When you're talking vintage, assuming you have custom drive types, your max will most likely be around 504MB hard drives, for 486/Pentium generation more like 2.1Gb. Can get around it, but the easiest solution is just to get the right sized drive and they're still available fairly cheap.

Something worth trying however is 1024 cylinders 16 heads 63 sectors - boot up with floppy and see if you can fdisk the hard drive - if it works this will give you access to the first 504MB and then you can use drive overlay software etc to access more of the disk - but the DOS limit is 2.1Gb maximum.

What type of motherboard is this?

yes I was there then. and know about the 1024--- for 528/534 limit
ran into the 8.4 with a m520 early p1.
( ok on auto tho)
and the 128/ problem wirh my p4 2400 mhz..
all gone now with my aquisition of a "better grade of recycled parts".
my zip drive is z100atapi I have a z250atapi as well
when I plugged one in my old pc that was open with a dangling cable it was seen immediately and I could read/write.
this pc is CLOSED wilt a slide out drive device. I cannot easily use it to test drives and other parts.

Last edited:
the last 486 with a n amd 486 133 and dos win 31, later win 98.
would see 2g of a 4g drive. I used two partitions as dos 6.22 would see
these drives.
BTW the pc chips 486-an all in one mb gradually died. first the video was dirty then the serial port went.
I kept disabling non functional devices and adding cards.( 1997)

the thing was so cheap that it did not even have an upgradable bios.

Back