• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what is my old apple 2 gs worth?

Yup - my school used to mark copies with a copyright too, as we usually had a site license for most software used. Still didn't stop anyone with the know-how and their own blanks from copying them, though :) (I still have my first "copied" set of DOS 3.3 disks... *sniff* - nostalgia!)
i contacted the guy i bought it from and he said he got it from a school auction and they had it listed as "all original" but they didnt say if the games where copies or not so idk will it effect the value?

FWIW, eBay doesn't care about software © complaints unless it is the © holder that is doing the complaining. That's just their policy.

I have seen ones canceled, all it takes is enough people to report it, but it's likely that with something this old and "out of print" it likely would be fine. Just wanted to warn him about POSSIBLE problems.

but why would they say the name of the school then say copyright mecc on them? is that just how they made copies? i thought they where orginal becuase most copys i have ran into did not have the copyright on them. they had hand writen lables do you think i would have a problem selling them on ebay? i dont want to break any rules
i also seen these on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-APP...MECC-SOFTWARE-5-25-FLOPPY-DISKS-/251123973001
They are likely authorized copies you have there, most schools had the rights to copy the original media for most/all the computers at that school based on whatever agreement they had with MECC (site license).

And Yes, lots of people sell "school copies", but this is kind of gray area if its allowed or not, on software this old, not many people/companies care, again I was just saying you MIGHT run into trouble.

and i thought the first color printer didnt come out til the mid 80's? these games go all the way back to 83
MECC's labels weren't computer printed, they were professionally printed labels.

I have seen ones canceled, all it takes is enough people to report it, but it's likely that with something this old and "out of print" it likely would be fine. Just wanted to warn him about POSSIBLE problems.

They are likely authorized copies you have there, most schools had the rights to copy the original media for most/all the computers at that school based on whatever agreement they had with MECC (site license).

And Yes, lots of people sell "school copies", but this is kind of gray area if its allowed or not, on software this old, not many people/companies care, again I was just saying you MIGHT run into trouble.

MECC's labels weren't computer printed, they were professionally printed labels.
ok thank you guys for the help i would just keep it but i am haveing issues with the startup disk and dont know where i can buy another copy when i try to start it up is says unable to start prodos if you guys could point me in the right direction where i could buy a new copy that would be great thanks again for the help

Last edited:
ok thank you guys for the help i would just keep it but i am haveing issues with the startup disk and dont know where i can buy another copy when i try to start it up is says unable to start prodos if you guys could point me in the right direction where i could buy a new copy that would be great thanks again for the help
With the purchase of a simple null modem serial cable you could MAKE your own disks by transfering a disk image file from your PC/MAC to the Apple II using an application called ADT.

Or for the cost of a disk and postage many of us here could do it for you if you like, but honestly if you are planning to play with this, you might want to invest the little bit into a null modem cable and some new-old-stock floppy disks. Even if you are going to sell this, you MIGHT get more for it, if you were to include a null modem cable and NOS disks with the IIgs and links to the ADT page for the prospective buyer.

With the purchase of a simple null modem serial cable you could MAKE your own disks by transfering a disk image file from your PC/MAC to the Apple II using an application called ADT.

Or for the cost of a disk and postage many of us here could do it for you if you like, but honestly if you are planning to play with this, you might want to invest the little bit into a null modem cable and some new-old-stock floppy disks. Even if you are going to sell this, you MIGHT get more for it, if you were to include a null modem cable and NOS disks with the IIgs and links to the ADT page for the prospective buyer.

i do plan on getting a cable its just i dont want to mess anything up right now. what all would i need to make my own disk? what type of null cable would i need?

Last edited:
i do plan on getting a cable its just i dont want to mess anything up right now. what all would i need to make my own disk? what type of null cable would i need?

All you need to make your disks is the IIgs, disk drive, null modem cable, and ADT software. You would want the second cable shown on the page I linked, the one marked "Apple IIgs, IIc+, LC III null modem".

If your PC/Mac doesn't have a 9-pin RS232 serial port, you will also need a USB>Serial converter I strongly prefer the FTDI chipset ones, they are the most compatible and reliable that I have found, and I have worked with A LOT of USB>Serial adapters in my day (I have dealt with Belkin, Startech, and many generic chinese imports). I hear the Keyspan brand ones are good too, I know a lot of mac users prefer them, and they get good reviews, but I never had occasion to actually try one myself.

All you need to make your disks is the IIgs, disk drive, null modem cable, and ADT software. You would want the second cable shown on the page I linked, the one marked "Apple IIgs, IIc+, LC III null modem".

If your PC/Mac doesn't have a 9-pin RS232 serial port, you will also need a USB>Serial converter I strongly prefer the FTDI chipset ones, they are the most compatible and reliable that I have found, and I have worked with A LOT of USB>Serial adapters in my day (I have dealt with Belkin, Startech, and many generic chinese imports). I hear the Keyspan brand ones are good too, I know a lot of mac users prefer them, and they get good reviews, but I never had occasion to actually try one myself.

how much would it cost me just to have one made? i found a copy here on ebay for 15.00

how much would it cost me just to have one made? i found a copy here on ebay for 15.00

I just picked up a IIGS. I haven't bought one of these cables myself yet but probably will do so shortly:

6ft MDIN8M/DB25M Cable for Mac+/Modem - Beige - $2.04
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=516

Then if you don't already have a standard null modem cable you should be able to use one like this to connect the above cable to a PC serial port:

6ft Null Modem DB9F/DB25F Molded Cable - $1.83
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=483

For those two cables together the total quoted with shipping to my location was $8.05
Don't know if you can find anything much cheaper than that.

-Glen

I just picked up a IIGS. I haven't bought one of these cables myself yet but probably will do so shortly:

Then if you don't already have a standard null modem cable you should be able to use one like this to connect the above cable to a PC serial port:

For those two cables together the total quoted with shipping to my location was $8.05

-Glen

Yes, that would accomplish the same as the cable I linked above, I personally prefer the single cable approach, just seems less messy to me, but that's all personal preference.

-Glen
thanks for the links ya thats the cheapest i think i have been looking all over ebay and the cheapest i found was 12.00 shipped

That's one route, but you could be making your own disks with free software (ADT) for only the cost of a cable (or two cables, interconnected, using gslick's links) and some DD disks (if you don't already have some).

i want to make my own disks but i just dont want to mess it up as i have never done it before and yes i would also need the usb adaptor since my pc does not have a serial port so all i would do is hook the drive to the pc useing the cables and then load the adt software on to the pc then put in a blank disk? i found 300 blank 3.5 floppy disks and some other stuff for 10 bucks on craigslist

i want to make my own disks but i just dont want to mess it up as i have never done it before and yes i would also need the usb adaptor since my pc does not have a serial port so all i would do is hook the drive to the pc useing the cables and then load the adt software on to the pc then put in a blank disk? i found 300 blank 3.5 floppy disks and some other stuff for 10 bucks on craigslist

The disks are made on your IIgs, not your PC

To oversimplify it ADT sends disk image from the PC over the serial cable to the IIgs which writes it out to the disk drive.

EDIT: I would read through all the info here on the ADT site if you want a more technical description, it sounds a lot more complex than it is, its pretty dang easy to use.

The disks are made on your IIgs, not your PC

To oversimplify it ADT sends disk image from the PC over the serial cable to the IIgs which writes it out to the disk drive.

EDIT: I would read through all the info here on the ADT site if you want a more technical description, it sounds a lot more complex than it is, its pretty dang easy to use.

ok cool i checked out the site and downloaded the software i wont need a super serial card will i?also wont i need this to http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=3726&seq=1&format=2 since my pc does not have the serial port

Last edited:
ok cool i checked out the site and downloaded the software i wont need a super serial card will i?also wont i need this to http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=3726&seq=1&format=2 since my pc does not have the serial port

The IIgs has a super serial equivalent built into its main board, so you will not need one. Barring compatibility problems with that USB>Serial cable you linked, it SHOULD work (I have had bad luck with some USB>Serial cables before in the past, I only buy FTDI now).

The IIgs has a super serial equivalent built into its main board, so you will not need one. Barring compatibility problems with that USB>Serial cable you linked, it SHOULD work (I have had bad luck with some USB>Serial cables before in the past, I only buy FTDI now).

ok thank you i will let you know how it goes it doesnt seem hard at all after watching the video

I can verify that the Keyspan USA-28X or XG (not the original USA-28, 28A, or 28B) USB to Serial adapter works just fine. Keyspan is now owned by Tripplite.

Back