• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what is my old apple 2 gs worth?

ok guys i have made the boot disk! nowthe system runs like a champ ya the problem with the old one was that it was damaged now i have a haveing a problem with the disk drive i put in the disk and the floppy disk does not go in all the way i have to push it in with a paper clip is there any way of fixing this? does the drive need to be cleaned? it reads disk and ejects them fine

ok guys i have made the boot disk! nowthe system runs like a champ ya the problem with the old one was that it was damaged now i have a haveing a problem with the disk drive i put in the disk and the floppy disk does not go in all the way i have to push it in with a paper clip is there any way of fixing this? does the drive need to be cleaned? it reads disk and ejects them fine

The drive rails will probably need to be greased, however there is a VERY particular process to follow, you can VERY easily damage the drive mechanism on apples 3.5" drives.

http://www.apple2.org/35Drv/35Drv1.html This is a pretty good guide to follow working on the drive mech, be sure to follow it closely, these are easy drives to screw up (I have killed a few myself). Also, while WD40 is great for removing old dried up grease from the mech, it is NOT a proper lubricant, I suggest silicon grease.

ok thank you is white lithium grease ok?

I would think so, so long as there's no rubber parts (which I don't think there are), I want to say lithium grease can degrade rubber parts, which is why I would usually prefer silicon grease.

The key, and the reason its probably sticking, is to get the OLD crusty grease out of the mechanism. I would say most the time the old dried up grease is why its sticking in the first place.

I would think so, so long as there's no rubber parts (which I don't think there are), I want to say lithium grease can degrade rubber parts, which is why I would usually prefer silicon grease.

The key, and the reason its probably sticking, is to get the OLD crusty grease out of the mechanism. I would say most the time the old dried up grease is why its sticking in the first place.

ok ya i will have to pic up some silcone grease then

Back