• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Aptiva 2140 (Stock)

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
I'm wondering if somebody out there has the Owner's Guide (not the Hardware Reference Manual) and I'm also wondering what the best browser for Windows 95 is for those who also are using 95 on their Pentium class systems.

Thanks,
Dan

I'm wondering if somebody out there has the Owner's Guide (not the Hardware Reference Manual) and I'm also wondering what the best browser for Windows 95 is for those who also are using 95 on their Pentium class systems.

Thanks,
Dan
Cant help on manual, sorry. But I will give my $0.02 on browser, With Win95 there's not a lot to choose from, I prefer Firefox 1.5, but whatever you run, most modern websites will be pretty useless under Win95.

If you upgraded to Windows98 you could, with some work, cram FF3 (I run 3.6.28, which is only about 1yr old ) on it (using KernelEx) and that's new enough to browse MOST modern websites (albeit very slowly on pentium hardware).

On my GW2K P5-100, I'm happily browsing with Internet Explorer 5.5 with all the Java scripting disabled. Sure some things don't come out right, but the majority of pages will load the stuff I came to the site for.

On my GW2K P5-100, I'm happily browsing with Internet Explorer 5.5 with all the Java scripting disabled. Sure some things don't come out right, but the majority of pages will load the stuff I came to the site for.

Because I've forgotten, I can turn off all the JavaScript in the advanced page of settings, right?

IE 5.5 is decent too, I have personally had better luck with FF1.5 overall, but to be honest I usually have both installed, there is the odd quirky page here and there that does load better on IE.

So I would say even if you use FF or Opera, or some other browser, it probably pays to still install IE5.5 anyways.

Which ever route you go, I would toss as much ram in the computer as you can. I can tell you FF3.6 on Win98 is PAINFUL with only 32mb ram, on my 200MMX. FF 2 on NT4 on my 586-100(486 bus) with 64mb ram is actually slightly quicker rendering (cant run 3.6 on NT4, so cant benchmark that).

The 2140 I have can take a maximum of 384 megs of RAM. There is 256 in it right now, running the stock OEM Preload of Windows 95 OSR 2 with the Unofficial Service Pack. However there are a couple of things I notice; the first is when the system starts and plays the startup sound, it plays find for the first few seconds and then stutters terribly. The other I notice is that for example a game like StarCraft 1.16, the video performance is terrible despite the onboard graphics (Trident 2 MB) supposedly having enough oomph. Now I do have a PCI TNT2 coming in the next few weeks.

Back