• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Game Controller Connector

bettablue

Veteran Member
I own two VIC-20 computers, but I am trading one in order to get a Commodore 64. The problem is that I'm an honest kind of guy. On the he VIC 20 I intend to keep, the game port connector is missing. I will NOT trade that computer in order to get what I want. So I am going to keep this one and replace the missing connector. That way, when it's time to finalize the deal, I'll send the other VIC-20; the one with all of the connectors intact, to the new owner in exchange for the C-64.

Yes, I know, I'm getting the better end of the deal, and I'm uptrading quite a bit. Both of us know exactly what we're doing though.

Does anyone here have one they can send me? Of course, I'll pay for the part plus shipping. Send me a PM with details of the part in question, price and postage.

Thanks much.

Sooo.....the game port is missing, as in it's been desoldered from the board? Was this VIC used for parts and then restored?

To tell you the truth, I don't know the history of this computer. All I know is that it works, with the exception of the missing game controller connector. That's why I'm keeping the one that's missing the connector too. Like I said, I know I'm uptrading already. Being hwo I am, I couldn't trade the "bad" unit, for the C-64. And once I get the new connector installed, then I'll play around with both.
The other one, the one I'll be trading for the C-64 is a completely working unit, and has never been apart. That much I do know. It is in 100% working condition. The inut isn't missing anything, and works flawlessly.

Of course I'll be glad when the deal is complete, but I'm not going to cheat someone to get something as trivial as a Commodore C-64. Besides, as a vintage computer collector, and user, I have had my share of things happen to me. People have sent me non working parts, broken items, like monitors, and computer cases. I just don't do things that way.

But Keven, if you want or need a VIC 20 for parts, let me know. I won't sell or give this one away just until I have the opportunity to test it properly though. Not that these things are worth anything.
I've been watching E-Bay. I haven't seen a single bid on a VIC-20 in months. But I see C-64 units selling all the time. I do find that playing some of the games that came with the computers is quite fun. The sure do bring back memories. But gaming isn't what I really want them for. No, I want to see about writing new programs for them using my old guides and college materials. These little Commodores are pretty good at what they do. And they surprise me for their abilities. Commodore really knew what they were doing when they finally got their act together.

Sooo.....the game port is missing, as in it's been desoldered from the board? Was this VIC used for parts and then restored?

To tell you the truth, I don't know the history of this computer. All I know is that it works, with the exception of the missing game controller connector. That's why I'm keeping the one that's missing the connector too. Like I said, I know I'm uptrading already. Being hwo I am, I couldn't trade the "bad" unit, for the C-64. And once I get the new connector installed, then I'll play around with both.

But Keven, if you want or need a VIC 20 for parts, let me know.

Ok, we're convinced that you're a stand-up guy, but all you had to say was you needed a game port for a VIC-20! :D I wasn't looking for a parts VIC-20, I was just curious how the game port on yours got removed, that's all. It's not something that just unplugs, it has to be desoldered from the board.

But I digress. I just checked, looking for a bare VIC-20 board, and all I seem to have is 3 complete VIC-20s...but you said to let you know if I needed a VIC-20 for parts. Does that mean that you have one for parts, and if so, can't you take the game port from it?

First off. I like your signature. It is from what I consider one of my favorite movies, from the best trek series.

As far as the parts boards, no I don't have any I can pull the connector from. I have one board, and that one has been stripped almost to nothing. I was considering throwing it out. In fact, I think I will. I really don't see anything of value on it at all. Unfortunately, I still need the connector to reqair the VIC. I appreciate your thinking. But, yeah, I have already done the obvious things. I guess what I really need to do is open it up to match the connector type with one on E-Bay. At least I can purchase one for less than a couple of bucks, shipped.

Thanks any way.

First off. I like your signature. It is from what I consider one of my favorite movies, from the best trek series.

I've been a member for 6 months and waiting for someone to comment on my signature! That quote makes me think of why I like vintage computing!

Sorry I couldn't help with the VIC-20. I will let you know if I run into something.

Can't help but comment. My wife and I are both Trekkies! And we both agree that out of all of the series, TNG was the best. Still, I think Trek is another major reason I got into computers back in 1976. I have a pretty long history with the home computer, and its different incarnations, flavord, etc.

Thanks again. Have a good week.

I am really new to the Commodore, so I really don't know what it uses, or doesn't. All I know is that I need that game comtroller connector; a DB9 with right angle pinout. That's why I was asking here if anyone had the connector. I didn't know if there was anything special that Commodore did with their connection process, or indeed if the connector was in any way modified from the standard one. Now I know.

So the vic 20 didn't use a atari game port?

No, there's nothing special that I know of. I think a connector from a c64 board will also be mechanically compatible, as well as easier to find. There's always 64 boards on ebay which have been pillaged of SID's and PLA's going for a few pounds/dollars/euros.

rob

Thanks. That actually makes more sense than just trying to match one that may or may not fit properly.

No, there's nothing special that I know of. I think a connector from a c64 board will also be mechanically compatible, as well as easier to find. There's always 64 boards on ebay which have been pillaged of SID's and PLA's going for a few pounds/dollars/euros.

rob

For some reason, I had it in my head that the C64 joystick ports were ganged together. I've only worked on 100 or so, you'd think I'd remember. So I had to Google a picture, and they're not, so Crock is right, it might just work!

As far as I know, any right angled DE9 male connector should fit. Better get a new/unused one than desoldering from another machine. The DE9 has a standard form factor and pin spacing, so I can't imagine why you'd need to search high and low for it.

However, there ought to be a reason why someone removed it in the first place. Perhaps an immediate short of DE9 and the local electronics shop closed for the evening, or that VIC had additional problems so the connector was removed to illustrate it. You'll find out if you put a new connector in its place if the joystick functions work. If not, you might have one or two partly bad VIA chips. Do all keys register correctly, as some of the joystick pins are shared with keyboard?

As far as I can see, everything is working on the VIC. All of the keys are firm, yet not overly so. They all register, and when I put a game cartridge in the back, it plays just fine. There also doesn't seem to be any issues with the power supply, or any of the cables. The edge connections look good and clean. So I have no idea why someone would remove the game controller, unless, it became loose or someone damaged it by forcing the joystic to connect. I've seen that all too often. Besides, how many times have you seen a broken modem port, or serial port on the back of a computer because people don't watch what they're doing? So, I have already orderd a DE-9 connector for it. Total cost, including shipping? $0.99

Thanks for the help everyone. Getting that part number is really all I needed. I'll post an update to let y'all know how the repair went.

As far as I know, any right angled DE9 male connector should fit. Better get a new/unused one than desoldering from another machine. The DE9 has a standard form factor and pin spacing, so I can't imagine why you'd need to search high and low for it.

However, there ought to be a reason why someone removed it in the first place. Perhaps an immediate short of DE9 and the local electronics shop closed for the evening, or that VIC had additional problems so the connector was removed to illustrate it. You'll find out if you put a new connector in its place if the joystick functions work. If not, you might have one or two partly bad VIA chips. Do all keys register correctly, as some of the joystick pins are shared with keyboard?

Perhaps it was a VIC used for educational or similar matters, and to prevent students from playing action games, they removed the connector?

Back