• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB - IBM 5161 expansion cable

SteveMarg

Experienced Member
Hi everyone,

Just my quarterly posting to see if anyone has an original IBM-branded expansion cable - from the IBM PC to the 5161 expansion unit.

If you have one, I would like to buy it.

I have deep pockets and and empty head! :confused:

Thanks,
Steve

Hi everyone,

Just my quarterly posting to see if anyone has an original IBM-branded expansion cable - from the IBM PC to the 5161 expansion unit.

If you have one, I would like to buy it.

I have deep pockets and and empty head! :confused:

Thanks,
Steve
I should have one somewhere; how long are they so I'll recognize it?

Which one(s) are you looking for?

I will need a long IDE cable, the size limit is 18 inches, but I will need a lot more, maybe I will need a signal repeater or something like that. I'm considering building an expansion unit for a customer computer (a 286 that don't have a empty 5 1/4 bay, the man needs the two floppys, a hard drive, and needs a CD-ROM drive, and can't change plataform, some kind of a computer controlled hospital machine), but I did not see the computer, I will arrive next friday. Maybe is best to convince him to use a CF to IDE adapter to make some room. What do you think?

Should be easily recognizable by the rather distinctive connector(s) at the end(s) coupled with the IBM branding. C'mon, Mike. :)
That's what I thought, but the last time I saw what I thought was the right cable it was less than a foot long, and reading Bettablue's adventures it sounded like his was quite a bit longer; I do have some similar IBM cables for multiport RS-232 distribution boxes, etc.

I think the short one I was thinking of was from an old RT that I scrapped. I did find another one which is probably the 5161 cable, abt 3 feet long, thick and black (yeah, yeah ;-) ), and with silver metal shell DB (or whatever) 62 high density connectors each end. Sound like the right one?

Just found a part number tag:
PN 1501513
EC380
ESCOD IND. INC.

Hmm... looks like it should be 8529253; did they come in different sizes perhaps or am I on the wrong track altogether?

Last edited:
Found the board that the other cable plugs into; it's a Dwhatever-78 pin connector, 78 pins/4 rows instead of only (!) 62/3.

Same connector length, a little wider; didn't notice at a fast glance, lots of odd old and new server stuff around here; also many boxes of round and ribbon cables if you ever can't fill an order.

I will need a long IDE cable, the size limit is 18 inches, but I will need a lot more, maybe I will need a signal repeater or something like that. I'm considering building an expansion unit for a customer computer (a 286 that don't have a empty 5 1/4 bay, the man needs the two floppys, a hard drive, and needs a CD-ROM drive, and can't change plataform, some kind of a computer controlled hospital machine), but I did not see the computer, I will arrive next friday. Maybe is best to convince him to use a CF to IDE adapter to make some room. What do you think?

If it's a 286, why not go with a CF card and a cheap CF-to-IDE adapter? No expansion boxes needed. Or use a DOM if you don't like CF.

If it's a 286, why not go with a CF card and a cheap CF-to-IDE adapter? No expansion boxes needed. Or use a DOM if you don't like CF.

It's a good ideia, I'm going to convince the owner about that. Thanks guys, and sorry for posting in another post.

Yes, but a genuine 16-bit IDE controller on a 286 will conform to AT I/O port conventions and not be hobbled by an 8-bit bus.
Picky, picky, picky..... I've used an XTIDE with some 386 and 486 boards with excellent results. The 486 had a bad onboard IDE interface so I used it there and was quite satisfied.

Back