• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

New 486dx2 Multimedia PC - $90

olePigeon

Veteran Member
$90 + shipping. Local pickup preferred (San Jose Bay Area) because it has a heavy steel case.

I have a brand new in box 486dx2 Multimedia PC. It has an SVGA card, modem, SoundBlaster compatible card, IDE card, and serial card. It also sports a 3.5" floppy drive and Sony CD-ROM. 3 5 1/4" bays (1 occupied by CD-ROM) and 1 3 1/2" bay (occupied by floppy drive.)

4MB of RAM and 320MB HDD. Genuine Intel 66MHz 486dx2 processor. Included in the accessories box are 2 new speakers and a new AT keyboard.

The HDD is preloaded with DOS and Windows 3 from the manufacturer.

Everything appears to work, but it has a dead battery and I don't know how to change it. If you're good with soldering, you can add an external battery or modify the existing one.

It's a profile case, so you stick the monitor on top (no monitor is included.)

if the battery is dead, the motherboard may have corrosion on it. Can you post a pic of the mainboard near the battery site? I think that may help it being sold, the less repair or maintenance work that has to be done, the better.

Check out OP's issue with the 486DX2--the dead battery's in the DS1287 clone on the BIOTEQ motherboard. Replace/rejuvenate the RTC block and you're good to go. OP doesn't want to do it because he's a bit leery of messing things up.

OP, I think I have that right?

Yes. It's a TH6887A battery, and is enclosed in a thick plastic. Even if the battery had died there's nothing to leak. Here're pictures of the motherboard, last post on this thread:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...1-486DX2-motherboard-where-s-the-CMOS-battery

There're also helpful tips on how to get a functioning battery connected, but I'm such a newb at this that after frying my IIgs trying to modify it, I'm worried about messing this one up, too. I'd rather someone who knows what they're doing make good use of it. I'd hate to see it go to the bin because of my clumsy hands.

i've got a board similar to that, only it was blessed with the round cell battery.... if your board has that on it, maybe i can solder one of my ds128xxx chips into it
You may have inadvertently helped me save one of my boards :)

So, the computer is not good for you, and you ask for 90 dollars to save you the trouble of going to dump it at the recyclers spot...

I'm thinking about it.

It's now up on eBay for anyone interested. Includes pictures and everything. I estimated shipping to Florida as that was the furthest Zip code from my location. If you win the auction, as stated in the description, I'll refund any difference in shipping. If it's more for some reason (doubtful), I'll eat the extra cost.

The HDD died when I took it out and powered it up to take screen shots of the BIOS. It makes beeping noises and doesn't quite spin up. The details are all in the description of the auction.

If anyone on this forum wins the auction and you only want, say, just the motherboard and CPU, I'm OK with repackaging it to save you on shipping. Just send me an email after the auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26102010925...LX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_718wt_1098

Relisted on eBay, lowered price by $10, so it's now $80. I found an AT compatible HDD and will be including it free of charge since the original HDD died while I was testing it. So the total is $80 + $48 shipping. If you're local and can pick it up, I'll reduce the price another $5 and it's yours for $75. Just buy it on eBay and I'll generate a new quote for you at the correct price.

I'm located in Milpitas, CA (San Francisco Bay Area.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261093801562

Last edited:
Back