• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wishlist XT Peripherals

@Chuck Geometrical Couldn't it be the standard angular velocity of the FDD?(Linear VS Angular velocity in step motors)

I suppose, but c'mon--I shouldn't have to guess at the meaning of an expression!

Humpty Dumpty said:
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

@Chuck well i am nearly sure it could not be that.
CAV is default for a FDD only deviant i know of is the Commodore 1541 FDD but that is a micro system in it's own right.

Would Zone Constant Angle Velocity have any advantage?

Maybe. If the RL has a standard 8-bit ISA slot, it should take my XT-CFv2 board and meet that objective.

The 1000RL already has a built-in IDE-XT hard drive interface (Tandy calls it "SmartDrive"), which I use with a ST-351A/X drive. I know there are ATA (IDE-AT) to CompactFlash adapters, so I'm just saying it would be nice to have an IDE-XT to CompactFlash adapter.

@Chuck well i am nearly sure it could not be that.
CAV is default for a FDD only deviant i know of is the Commodore 1541 FDD but that is a micro system in it's own right.

Would Zone Constant Angle Velocity have any advantage?

You forgot Apple (Lisa and original Mac) as well as the Sirius/Victor 9000.

I didn't think the expression was that far off but probably so for those in the know. I meant having the motor stepping, c/h/l or c/s (suppose it's different than a hard drive) alignment be adjustable. Hence not stuck at 40/80 track spacing and could be told to read smaller track sizes with more intelligent macros/modules.

xtfdc type amiga dsdd read a:
xtfdc type cpm sssd scan a:

or the actual point
xtfdc fsscan a:
and have it try all the modules you have and see if it can come up with a recognized file format/fat table.

Pardon my ignorance on the technical specs, it's just how I guessed the catweasel worked.

The principle of operation of the catweasel is very simple. There's a free-running counter (speed selectable between roughly 7, 14, 28 and 56 MHz) and a block of SRAM (131K/128KiB and a counter for SRAM address control). Every time a pulse arrives from reading a floppy, the lower 7 bits of the counter are stored into the SRAM, the store address is incremented and the counter is reset. The high-order bit is connected to the index output, so you have an idea of whether or not you're within the index area when a sample is taken. A track is read (depending on program control, this can be index-to-index or when the SRAM is full) and then the PC reads the SRAM. There's a very basic set of latches that can control the density select, step and direction outputs, but the timing is done under program control for those--just a simple bit-bang affair.

It's up to the software to figure things out. Writing works in the opposite direction--the program stores the transition times to the SRAM and the counter is used to bang the write data line at the appropriate time.

Everything else is left to the program. This is the principle of operation of all of the other similar bits of kit, such as DeviceSide, Kyroflux, etc. They differ only in details.

Mind you, you can't simply copy a disk by feeding back what you read. There are various effects such as quantization error and bit-crowding (prcompensation) that need to be accommodated. A few years back, I posted a way to do this using a simple ATMega microcontroller-with-SRAM setup, where a 16MHz clock was more than sufficient to process 1.44MB floppies. Not a lot of interest, so I let it go without much other comment. Modern MCUs have sufficient SRAM to be able to do this all on one chip; not to mention built-in USB OTG facilities. So there's really not much in the way of hardware to do--just sharpen your coding pencil...

Due to the scarcity of 15 kHz RGB monitors, it would be nice to have a plug-n-play CGA-to-S-Video/composite adapter.

I made a CGA to Scart adaptor a few years ago, which works very well, although results can vary a bit from one TV to another. Not very useful for American TVs, but everywhere else should have Scart on any TV made after about 1990.

The 1000RL already has a built-in IDE-XT hard drive interface (Tandy calls it "SmartDrive"), which I use with a ST-351A/X drive. I know there are ATA (IDE-AT) to CompactFlash adapters, so I'm just saying it would be nice to have an IDE-XT to CompactFlash adapter.

Chuck I think pondered on this a while back. The thing is, it would need a new PCB, new logic designed and somewhere to store the BIOS for it (since Compact Flash media must be told to switch to 8-bit transfer mode after power-up) - in other words, a load of development and testing.

On the other hand, the XT-CF board is approaching a beta phase (and I'm reasonably confident that it will also be faster, due to the transfer methods used).

Back