• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bios reside

Marty

Veteran Member
Hi All;
Where does the Bios reside as far as doing a Dump for the 286, for the 486 and for the Pentium II ????
I am trying to find the program that is accessed most commonly by debug c800:5 and I don't know where to look for it.. Is Bios coppied to a lower range of addresses ??
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Stone, the WD-1002 WAH doesn't have a Bios on the Card.. The IBM cards I have Do have someting, But, I have not gotten them to work.. Patscc , THANK YOU for the link, only it is NOT Dos driven.. That is why I am looking for the Program that seems to reside in some Bios'es.. I figured out The What and How of the Dump In my 486 that region is taken over with netware, and in my 286 Bios it doesn't seem to exist at all, it is just 7474.. I have downloaded the IBM Bioses, I will take a look at them with my hex editor and see what I can find..
THANK YOU Marty

You can stick the IDE into a modern machine and run a low-level format utility against it. It does not "bind" the IDE drive to the IDE controller.
patscc

For what it's worth the IBM MFM cards I have came with a boot ROM, but did not have a low level format tool - that was provided on the IBM Diagnostics Diskette.
Those debug calls were mostly famous from the aftermarket 8 bit cards by Western Digital, DTK, Seagate etc. and also RLL controllers (both 8 and 16bit).

You can stick the IDE into a modern machine and run a low-level format utility against it. It does not "bind" the IDE drive to the IDE controller.
patscc
All IDE drives are bound to their controllers because the controllers are on the drives' logic boards. The cards you plug the ribbons into are not the controllers. :)

Hi All;
Pat, its not IDE its ST506, So I can't stick it into a modern machine... Chuck (G) the links look great, but, I can't access them.. They are most likely what I need.. Spider, I don't have an IBM Diagnostic Diskette.. And where do I get it ?? ,, Also, where do I get the debug calls for my WD Board ???
THANK YOU Marty

I'm not going to quibble semantics over "controller",it's not just me that refer to the part not on the drive as the controller, as this usage has been more or less grandfathered in.
For instance, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_IDE_controller
or even Gateway
http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/cmponts/control/8504147/index.htm

Most people get controller as the non-drive part, and drive's logic board as the part on the drive. However, if it makes everyone happy and causes less confusion, I'll call it an IDE Controller card.
patscc

Hi All;
Pat, its not IDE its ST506, So I can't stick it into a modern machine... Chuck (G) the links look great, but, I can't access them.. They are most likely what I need.. Spider, I don't have an IBM Diagnostic Diskette.. And where do I get it ?? ,, Also, where do I get the debug calls for my WD Board ???
THANK YOU Marty

There are no debug calls for the WD-1002 MFM card.
You need to give up on that option, and go with software like the guys have linked you to.

I got the IBM Diagnostics Diskette image from minuszerodegrees.net and wrote it to a 360KB floppy. However I was using it on an actual IBM computer, not sure what the deal is with using it outside of this, would be easier to just use a generic DOS tool.

Hi All;
The latest links are JUST what I needed, I have tried a number of Drives, and the Software can Identify the Correct Drive.. But, I think I maybe have a Bad Ic or a Bad bit, As the Format and Wrrites and Reads don't compare.. So, I'll have to look into that.. But, Just to lett everyone know that the latest Links had Just what I needed... So, THANK YOU..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Pat, I don't know, as it asks for if I want destructive format.. and it writes some unknown pattern and checks it.. I don't know even at this point how to read and to write to the drive(s)..
THANK YOU Marty

Back