• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Software - How do you like yours?

Vintage Software - How do you like yours?

• Buy full retail package (used or new)

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Buy full retail package and refurbish it.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I only use SW I already owned from before

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DL, DL, and DL! Bandwidth is cheap!

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Live and learn. Considering I love B&W and silent, I'm embarrassed to admit I did not know MOS meant without sound.
However, at least even I know that in Martian OS context, MOS stands for Mental Operating System.
patscc

Well, clearly, the box refe..
*bzzr* *click*
beclch
is of course OS/M. The idiot that thought it was MOS, really, people, today. What does MOS stand for, anyway ? Mad Ospreys Sp***ng ?
Completely outside the box, right on!
b.

I myself download most stuff, as I usually can't find it elsewhere, or it's just a LOT faster to download something like MS-DOS. There are some things I still want to buy, such as OS/2 on floppies, especially Warp 3 as I'm not into writing forty-some odd floppy disks.
Why is the the amount of installation floppies for Warp is always over exaggerated? It's only 20 something floppies dammit!! ;)

Why is the the amount of installation floppies for Warp is always over exaggerated? It's only 20 something floppies dammit!! ;)

That's a good question.

I have a theory. Those of us who were around when Warp first came out were astounded at the number of floppies because it was a whole boxload, and Win3.1 was only 6 (or 7). It was a quantum leap - so to speak. Younger folk who weren't around back then, just think that 20 floppies is a lot because they've likely never seen that many in one place.

Another theory would be the "whopping" syndrome. Whenever something from the past is smaller than it is nowadays, you have to say "whopping". Eg. a whopping 10Meg HDD. It is inappropriate, and perhaps even rude, to just say "a 10Meg Hdd". It's a cultural thing. The same with the 20 floppies for Warp. It is culturally mandated that one remark upon it. It's just proper etiquette.

I won't give you my third theory.

Y'all are just a bunch of whiners. Think back to when you finally got a hard drive, filled it up, got some back up software, and discovered just *HOW* many floppies it would take...
patscc

I prefer original boxed software for both games and apps, have 100's of them it seems. Anything from 1990's and back had decent manuals in the box which are useful if you never used the thing before or are rusty.

Sometimes I snag just disks (if they are free) or boxed software with manuals but no media (media is much easier to find or you can just download it).

People miss out just collecting the main hardware, original software magazines and other stuff just makes a collection so much more enjoyable.

I like mine "Free and Legal" and preferaby with soiurce code so I can tweak it and destry its authenticity.

So if its great games then it has to be LLamatron but sadly no source :-(.

But I will spend time recovering things. So in order to get CSMP II working on the 1130 simulator I OCR's it from the manual!

People miss out just collecting the main hardware, original software magazines and other stuff just makes a collection so much more enjoyable.

Some of the stuff around the hardware is indeed important. However, as for software, it doesn't have to be physical items. I have a very carefully selected collection of tiny utilities that goes way back and to me is very valuable. I don't think I could easily replace it. In fact, in the sense that it would be very hard to find some files, they are actually more valuable than stuff that one can simply buy for money on eBay or somewhere. Part of my interest in computers is in digital records, so a file is just as real and valuable as a box IMHO.

I'm primarily a Commodore 64 guy, and I absolutely love the pirated versions of software out there. The crackers put work into their splash screens and music that usually preceded the actual program. That's how I got into enjoying the demoscene stuff. What those guys were able to do to that little 8-bit machine through software was incredible.

The official boxed stuff is nice when it's things that nobody bothered pirating. Things like tutorials on programming BASIC are lots of fun.

I'm primarily a Commodore 64 guy, and I absolutely love the pirated versions of software out there. The crackers put work into their splash screens and music that usually preceded the actual program. That's how I got into enjoying the demoscene stuff. What those guys were able to do to that little 8-bit machine through software was incredible.

That is an interesting argument. The intros were pretty cool. Heck even some of the ASCII stuff they did in .nfo files were pretty out there and talented. I am not against having cracked software per se. For one thing it saves your originals from wear and tear (this includes both box and manuals/maps/key rings/etc. etc.) and is a heck of a lot more convenient to use then the originals (I own three copies of KQ IV but the installed version is cracked so that I don't have to go into the manual each and every time I want to fire up the game).

How about the refurbishing? Am I the only person anal enough to go trying to find clean images to replace disks that have been previously registered w/ owner's info?

How about the refurbishing? Am I the only person anal enough to go trying to find clean images to replace disks that have been previously registered w/ owner's info?
Yes ;)

(c'mon, you knew it was coming!!)

Actually, I wouldn't do this only because I'm after a clean, original image, and frankly, if I didn't make it, or don't trust the source that purports it as original, I'd just as soon deal with the "used" original copy with another's registration info.

So far as SW... I'm in the camp of boxed/complete - and for my Sierra stuff, I'm totally anal about all inserts, including registration cards and sales ads, and tend to have multiple copies of each game depending upon the box art, version on the floppy, and sometimes even what inserts it came with. In the case of utilities, I'm all for downloading it, though for certain things (PC DOS, PC Tools, Central Point stuff), I want the originals.

Now if I can only find that < $25 PC DOS 1.0 to complete the collection... (my like-new copy of 1.1 cost a whopping $5 less than 18 months ago - not sure how it slipped through the auction vultures!)

Yes ;)

(c'mon, you knew it was coming!!)

Actually, I wouldn't do this only because I'm after a clean, original image, and frankly, if I didn't make it, or don't trust the source that purports it as original, I'd just as soon deal with the "used" original copy with another's registration info.

I actually make an image of the original disk as I got it - just in case ;). Honestly though, unless you are buying new/sealed (and even then on eBay w/ some of those scum bag sellers you can never be sure) there is no way to get a clean disk ans as you pointed out sites like Vetusware are no guarantee you are getting a good image

If you do have original software do you actually use the original disks or just image them and use the images?

Back