• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5170 Keyboard

MrRedHat

Experienced Member
Someone is giving me an IBM 5170, but with no keyboard. Will a PS/2 to AT keyboard adapter work with it? I plan on using an IBM model M with it, so I assume it’ll work ok as long as I use the adapter.

Also, what kind of keyboard would be period accurate for a 5170?

Since you've got ~ 40 Model Ms why don't you just use one of them? :)

I was planning on using one of my Model M’s, but I wanted to make sure that the adapter will work. I assume it’ll work fine, but assumption is the mother of all f**k ups, so I wanted to double check first. :)

I'm pretty sure that the DIN connector has been the same since the AT, so that should work. I use an adapter to use my model M on a 486 with only the AT connector.

I was planning on using one of my Model M’s, but I wanted to make sure that the adapter will work. I assume it’ll work fine, but assumption is the mother of all f**k ups, so I wanted to double check first. :)
So, yours have fixed cables -- PS/2 style? All of mine have the interchangeable cable connector so it will work with either connector if you have both cables. I used to have a box of cables of both types. Now I just have a few of each left.

So, yours have fixed cables -- PS/2 style? All of mine have the interchangeable cable connector so it will work with either connector if you have both cables. I used to have a box of cables of both types. Now I just have a few of each left.

I can change out the cable, but I only have PS/2 style. I suppose I can try finding the AT style, which I would rather have, but I have the adapter handy. I hate the adapters because they stick out so far I’m always afraid it’ll break something.

I also didn't know you could put in an AT style cable, I'll have to look for a few. :)

Check ebay - you can find them quite readily. For that matter, any of you that would prefer a 3rd-party non-coiled cable for your Model M, do a search for SDL keyboard cable on ebay - there's a guy that's making straight Model M keyboard cables, and from the posts I've seen on Geekhack about them, they work very well (I don't have one, however - I'm not interested in paying $26 USD for the cable)

If the 5170 has an early BIOS it may not be fully compatible with a 101 enhs keyboard. It will work but with limitations. The adapter is fine to use. Early 5170's used an 83 key AT keyboard that looked like an XT keyboard but an XT keyboard will not work on an AT.

If your bios is old you can upgrade it and use the 101 key...

framer

If the 5170 has an early BIOS it may not be fully compatible with a 101 enhs keyboard. It will work but with limitations. The adapter is fine to use. Early 5170's used an 83 key AT keyboard that looked like an XT keyboard but an XT keyboard will not work on an AT.

If your bios is old you can upgrade it and use the 101 key...

framer
100% correct! The 5170 I had came with a Model M, but had the earlier Bios on a type 2 motherboard. Strange combination. OP, if you run into this situation and have the ability to burn a rom, I believe that Modem7 has all the BIOS files up at his minuszerodegrees.net website

Back