• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what boot disk will i need for a heathkit?

He might be right--or just confused. The Z100/Z150 certainly used their own versions of MS-DOS--compatibility with IBM's systems was pretty marginal. But the 158 should be the first of the IBM compatible line. I say that if no one has a 156 boot disk, try a plain vanilla PC-DOS or MS-DOS boot and see what happens.

ya i think he got confused with other model's the problem is i dont have one since most of my computers are apples prodos i was asking him if he would make me one and i would pay him for his time but he refused saying it would not work and he does not want to sell me something that wont work

ya i think he got confused with other model's the problem is i dont have one since most of my computers are apples prodos i was asking him if he would make me one and i would pay him for his time but he refused saying it would not work and he does not want to sell me something that wont work

I don't think that legally anyone can just "make" you an MSDOS disk copy (which would be piracy). As far as I know, MSDOS is still protected by copyright. The only legal way you can obtain a copy of MSDOS would be to buy one whether new or used with the original master disks, and the COA.

It should not be that difficult or expensive to locate and buy a legal copy of MSDOS. Have you tried the used bookstores located inside of your local libraries?

He might be right--or just confused. The Z100/Z150 certainly used their own versions of MS-DOS--compatibility with IBM's systems was pretty marginal. But the 158 should be the first of the IBM compatible line. I say that if no one has a 156 boot disk, try a plain vanilla PC-DOS or MS-DOS boot and see what happens.

The non-compatible ones were only the H/Z-100, H/Z-110, and H/Z-120. The H/Z-100 was an all-in-one, with a built-in CRT tube. The H/Z-120 was a low profile model that required a separate monitor. Those ran Z-DOS or CP/M-85 (there may have been a CP/M-86 version too). The system had an 8086 processor for the 16-bit stuff and an 8085 for the 8-bit functions. Any other Heath/Zenith models numbered 130 or above - Z-13x, Z-14x, Z-15x all were PC compatibles and should run stock MS-DOS.

I drug my (2) Z-158 computers out this afternoon and found the following:

I hadn't upgraded either to 5.25 HD or 3.5" drives.
Both of my machines had 360K floppies. One had a 10MB hard drive, the other a 20MB drive.
One had MS-DOS v2.1, the other MS-DOS 3,2.

According to the Operations Manual, there are 2 boards that are standard with these computers. A CPU/Memory board and a Video/Floppy board. There is also and optional Zenith MFM HDD controller. These boards are taller than the standard ISA boards found in an IBM PC and can only fit in the 3 slots that are closest to the power supply.

I tried to put a Unique FDD floppy board with built in BIOS, but on bootup it kept saying no floppy found when one was hooked up Tried to hookup a Microsolutions backpack 1.44Mb (external, parallel port)) Floppy unit. On bootup it kept saying "No Floppy Drive found".
I have a ATI VGA card in the computer so I took out the Zenith Video/Floppy controller to see it it made any difference , but the computer then refused to boot.

I am making an assumption that there is a board conflict that is causing the errors.

Tomorrow I may try to take out the MFM controller and install an XT-IDE controller to see if that will work.

The non-compatible ones were only the H/Z-100, H/Z-110, and H/Z-120. The H/Z-100 was an all-in-one, with a built-in CRT tube. The H/Z-120 was a low profile model that required a separate monitor. Those ran Z-DOS or CP/M-85 (there may have been a CP/M-86 version too). The system had an 8086 processor for the 16-bit stuff and an 8085 for the 8-bit functions. Any other Heath/Zenith models numbered 130 or above - Z-13x, Z-14x, Z-15x all were PC compatibles and should run stock MS-DOS.

I recall that the USG (IRS, ISTR) bought a mess of the Z-151s. I suspect that they might have demurred if it weren't PC compatible.

I drug my (2) Z-158 computers out this afternoon and found the following:

I hadn't upgraded either to 5.25 HD or 3.5" drives.
Both of my machines had 360K floppies. One had a 10MB hard drive, the other a 20MB drive.
One had MS-DOS v2.1, the other MS-DOS 3,2.

According to the Operations Manual, there are 2 boards that are standard with these computers. A CPU/Memory board and a Video/Floppy board. There is also and optional Zenith MFM HDD controller. These boards are taller than the standard ISA boards found in an IBM PC and can only fit in the 3 slots that are closest to the power supply.

I tried to put a Unique FDD floppy board with built in BIOS, but on bootup it kept saying no floppy found when one was hooked up Tried to hookup a Microsolutions backpack 1.44Mb (external, parallel port)) Floppy unit. On bootup it kept saying "No Floppy Drive found".
I have a ATI VGA card in the computer so I took out the Zenith Video/Floppy controller to see it it made any difference , but the computer then refused to boot.

I am making an assumption that there is a board conflict that is causing the errors.

Tomorrow I may try to take out the MFM controller and install an XT-IDE controller to see if that will work.
the two top full length boards correct?
$T2eC16d,!zcE9s4g3hwjBQPYZ03nOQ~~60_3.jpg

the two top full length boards correct?
View attachment 10217

In your picture notice that the top slot is empty. The first board shown is the Video/Floppy board and the one underneath it is the CPU/Memory board.

I'll try to get the Operations manual scanned and posted. It explains all that including the jumper settings.

Tonight I got the system working without the Zenith Video/Floppy controller installed. With an add-on floppy controller that has BIOS support for high density floppy drives, i got it to boot to MS-DOS 6.22.
The video board I'm using is a 16-bit ATI card, but driving a monochrome monitor for now.

*****The XT-FDC would be a nice addition to a machine like this. And throw in an XT-IDE too! ********

Last edited:
In your picture notice that the top slot is empty. The first board shown is the Video/Floppy board and the one underneath it is the CPU/Memory board.

I'll try to get the Operations manual scanned and posted. It explains all that including the jumper settings.

Tonight I got the system working without the Zenith Video/Floppy controller installed. With an add-on floppy controller that has BIOS support for high density floppy drives, i got it to boot to MS-DOS 6.22.
The video board I'm using is a 16-bit ATI card, but driving a monochrome monitor for now.

*****The XT-FDC would be a nice addition to a machine like this. And throw in an XT-IDE too! ********

so is everything there or is it missing stuff? or are the board's just in the wrong slots? sorry never owned a heathkit before just apples and those are kinda simpler

Last edited:
You have the basic boards needed to boot from floppy. However, I don't see that it has a hard drive. Adding one would not be hard and really improve the functionality of the machine.
What are you using for a monitor?

You have the basic boards needed to boot from floppy. However, I don't see that it has a hard drive. Adding one would not be hard and really improve the functionality of the machine.
What are you using for a monitor?

i am not sure yet as its still in the mail i should be getting it monday or tuesday what monitor would work would a apple color from a iigs work? also what ide controller card would work? any other suggestions on upgrades? would this one work
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-IBM-Xebec-MFM-Hard-Drive-Controller-as-found-in-5150-and-5160-IBM-PC-XT-/190723175484?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c67fcb43c

Last edited:
i am not sure yet as its still in the mail i should be getting it monday or tuesday what monitor would work would a apple color from a iigs work? also what ide controller card would work? any other suggestions on upgrades? would this one work
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-IB...mputing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c67fcb43c

The monitor that will work with your computer needs to be a 9-pin TTL, or composite with an RCA connector. If the Apple monitor has a 15-pin connector, then it won't work unless you upgrade to a different video card.

You will also need a keyboard that is XT compatible. If you can find one that is switchable between XT and AT, that would be good. If try to use an AT keyboard you will probably get an error message at startup and not be able to complete bootup.

That Xebec controller listed on eBay will only work with a few low capacity MFM drives that are rare and very unreliable.
I strongly suggest the XT-IDE controller being sold through Andrew Lynch on this website. It's a kit, so you would have to have some soldering skills.

The Z-158 was introduced as the most expandable computer made by Zenith. Other options you may consider would be a graphics card and an AST SixPak multifunction card.

ok thank you for the info i will def check into that hdd controller card they are pretty cheap to i am hopeing to score a org monitor and keyboard but that will be almost impossble any idea on the model numbers for the keyboard and monitor that camne with the h-158?

Back