• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

how to replace a cable on a apple II scsi

jeff0172

Experienced Member
anyone know if i can replace the scsi cable on a apple II scsi card? i noticed some fraying and would like to replace it does anyone know where i could get a replacement cable?

i will snap a pic when i charge my phone idk what so special about it i cant find one though looks like i will be makeing one

My Apple REV-C SCSI card has the cable permanently attached to the card, replacing it completely would involve de-soldering the old one from the card. If its just the DB25 plug end of the cable that is fraying, it should be simple to just solder or crimp on a new DB25 in its place only sacrificing a fraction of an inch off the end of the cable.

Gotcha, though, sometimes for old boards with through-hole stuff, I just snip the wire off, and tack the new one on top. Not elegant, but less wear-and-tear on the solder pads of unknown copper thickness.
If it's the connector end, RWallmow's tip is great.
patscc

it is not the connector its the base where the wire goes into the card it seems like there is wire sticking out when i run my fingers accrost it
scsi card 001.jpgscsi card 003.jpg

it is not the connector its the base where the wire goes into the card it seems like there is wire sticking out when i run my fingers accrost it
View attachment 10230View attachment 10231

That looks like it would likely require de-soldering it from the card, that is a crimp connector, and they are not really made to be crimped more than once. MAYBE, just MAYBE, if you could CAREFULLY disassemble the crimp connector, you MIGHT be able to re-crimp a new cable to it, but I would not count on it.

anyone know if i can replace the scsi cable on a apple II scsi card? i noticed some fraying and would like to replace it does anyone know where i could get a replacement cable?

HI Jeff - If there is no problem (broken wire, shorting) then the easiest thing to do would be to go to your local Lowes, Home Despot or other such store, pick up a bottle of Liquid Tape (4 oz for about $5.00 or so) and simply coat the wires so that none of the metal is exposed. It's probably the cheapest & fastest solution, and I find the stuff indispensable when working on these vintage units!

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

Back