• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Slightly OT: IBM 5155 Canvas Carrying Bag - Is it washable?

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
I got my hands on one of these and would like to "cleanse" it. Mine is still the deep navy blue color. No fading what so ever. I was thinking of washing it on gentle/delicate cold cycle. But I am worried about the color running or worse it falling apart. Has anyone actually washed one of these? Any advice? Thanks.

Try dabbing the detergent on a hidden corner and see what effect it has before washing.
patscc

That's a very good suggestion for cleaning anything with a new or different cleanser, you never know how things will react, best to test it on some inside flap or something.

If nothing else, You might be able to have it dry cleaned if it doesn't react well to your detergent (though it would probably cost you).

That is what I am thinking too Chuck. And its not like I am going to be taking this w/ me on trips so I probably never have to clean it again....

Assuming there isn't something on/in it that's sensitive to the dry cleaning solvent.
Up here, we don't have any local drycleaners, they all send out. While I can see myself explaining what I want to the local clerk, will this info actually get to the remote dry cleaner ?
patscc

I should do this to my Compaq Portable III's bag. Would doing this enough times remove smoke smells from a canvas bag? The bag for my SLT 386s has a bad smoke smell in it, and putting it out in the sun for a day hasn't helped.

Shadow Lord, what did you finally do to clean that bag, and how did it turn out? I have the same bag, which came with my 5155, so I've been checking back on this thread from time to time.

Are they that rare? Worth not just trying it? You could (think it was already mentioned) just try a small amount of the detergent and water on the bottom of the case/bag/slip.

Are they that rare? Worth not just trying it? You could (think it was already mentioned) just try a small amount of the detergent and water on the bottom of the case/bag/slip.

I'd prefer that Shadow Lord do the experimenting on his bag and report the results, but if he doesn't conclude this thread I will have to run my own experiments.

I'd prefer that Shadow Lord do the experimenting on his bag and report the results, but if he doesn't conclude this thread I will have to run my own experiments.

I took mine to two local cleaners and they both said they were not willing to take it on saying that there was a 20-25% chance there would be some color change or damage. They also warned against machine washing saying the seam could come apart something akin to washing school bags in the machine. I've seen the effect on some of my school bags I've washed but not on others (the seems start to look shredded). Of course JanSport had a lifetime warranty and replaced my shredded ones for free. In fact the cleaners recommended vacuuming and using a lint brush to get dirt off and not washing it at all.

I am thinking they are being too cautious as I am sure when these bags were in regular use they got quite dirty and I'd be surprised if IBM expected people not to wash them.

I took mine to two local cleaners and they both said they were not willing to take it on saying that there was a 20-25% chance there would be some color change or damage.

The thing I'd worry about with dry cleaning is that coating on the inside of the bag. Is that waterproofing? I wonder how the chemicals would affect that. My wife suggests hand washing in cold water with Woolite.

The thing I'd worry about with dry cleaning is that coating on the inside of the bag. Is that waterproofing? I wonder how the chemicals would affect that. My wife suggests hand washing in cold water with Woolite.

The other issue is the faux leather handle/grip. Handwash is probably the safest option and what I'll end up doing after all is said and done...

Is this really canvas or is this Cordura? That coating sounds a lot like Cordura. In which case, it's pretty rugged stuff--and I'd suggest you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning.

Back