• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Working Garbo Archive Mirror?

Doesn't the Wayback Machine have a complete image downloadable as a CD ISO/CDR?

It DOS indeed. ;) I just downloaded that and checked what's on it. There's a whole bunch of stuff that was taken off the Garbo site years ago for legal reasons. W00t! (we probably shouldn't talk about that here though.)

Hopefully others will read this thread and get the archive as well. While there, I suggest doing a search for something like "DOS software". There's lots. Also a huge amount of games for those that have a use for those.

BTW, I notice the ISO has a very strange extension which might confuse some people or programs. It is a .cdr file. I use K3B which took it in stride, but if your CD writer balks, you can probably rename it to the proper ".iso".

There's a whole bunch of stuff that was taken off the Garbo site years ago for legal reasons. W00t! (we probably shouldn't talk about that here though.)

I'm sure the statute of limitations has long expired (22 years), so I'd actually like to discuss it. What kind of stuff is on the 1992 Garbo CDROM that was later removed from the Garbo archive? Was it a simple matter of a few commercial/registered versions of software instead of their shareware equivalents, or software that the author later decided to remove from existence, or what?

I'm sure the statute of limitations has long expired (22 years), so I'd actually like to discuss it. What kind of stuff is on the 1992 Garbo CDROM that was later removed from the Garbo archive? Was it a simple matter of a few commercial/registered versions of software instead of their shareware equivalents, or software that the author later decided to remove from existence, or what?

One magazine company decided to move all their internally created utilities behind a paywall and revoked the permission for Garbo and other sites to mirror the same files.

One magazine company decided to move all their internally created utilities behind a paywall and revoked the permission for Garbo and other sites to mirror the same files.

Specifically, PC Mag. They had a collection which was one of the best at the time. I use several of them regularly. As I recall from reading notices on Garbo a little while back (several years) there was a letter from PCMag to the Garbo admin which gave them specific rights to host the utilities there, despite the fact that the magazine was actively denying others to do so by that time. At some point after that, they went back on that. Garbo didn't see any affordable way to fight such a distasteful situation, so left it at that. There was also some argument between PCMag and one of the software writers - perhaps Mefford about DM.COM. It's a bit hazy now, but I think that's about it. I suspect some of that info is in the archive still. I'll check when I have time.

PS: DM.COM is indeed one of the finest file managers around. It's only 8564 bytes and it does everything I'd ever want in a DOS interface. I see why Mefford wanted to keep possession of it. Unfortunately, the result of all the arguing is that it has dropped off the net, doesn't appear to be for sale, and is extremely hard to find.

PPS: Isn't it funny how when people get greedy (PCMag, Mefford?) it just ends up that all parties lose.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered that, but it seems perfectly understandable.

Eventually PC Mag gave them away for free anyway when you signed up for a 1-yr subscription; I still have mine on two (three?) 360k floppy disks.

I'd never heard of DM.COM but I just now tried it out -- Reminds me of the earlier CO.COM program he did a year earlier with some of the same functionality. it's nice, but I have always preferred (and still use) PC Valet, which has much more functionality in less than 50KB.

Back