• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

bug flying sound from monochrome green monitor

I've found a store near my city that have a new flyback for my monitor(3 month warranty, NIB), with shipping it will cost near $32, worth it?
A bad flyback transformer on a monochrome monitor is a common fail?

A little historical tidbit: Glyptal was once a division of General Electric (spun off in 1985) and dates back to Thomas Edison. The eBay GC item is Glyptal 1201 and you can find better prices on the web. You can also get it for about $40 for a quart or $140 for a gallon from Caswell plating.

You very often see this stuff painted over screwheads and nuts as a retainer.

I've found a store near my city that have a new flyback for my monitor(3 month warranty, NIB), with shipping it will cost near $32, worth it?
A bad flyback transformer on a monochrome monitor is a common fail?
A bad flyback is not too uncommon for all old monitors. I think it might the most common cause of CRT failure in general, especially if it's quite old.

If it indeed the flyback is bad, consider yourself lucky that you can find a replacement part. I could never find a replacement flyback for the units I own that have failed.

BTW, you mentioned a compatibility list. Where did you find that?

If it indeed the flyback is bad, consider yourself lucky that you can find a replacement part. I could never find a replacement flyback for the units I own that have failed.

BTW, you mentioned a compatibility list. Where did you find that?

Here, and also here. Mine was on page 72, of the first link.
If you have the models of the flybacks that you need, sent to me, and I will ask to the store owner, looks like the guy have a very large stock.

It could also be corona noise. Take the cover off the monitor, power it up in a very dark room and look carefully at the innards. If you see a faint blue light around the high-voltage anode lead (or smell ozone), you've got a corona leak. They usually can be patched with a a bit of silicone caulk (RTV) or even a dab of glypt.

Now it's dark, I did your test, but nothing blue, only the regular yellow/orange light from the neck.

Okay, so it's probably not corona issues. That's good. I'm assuming that you've also tried pressing on various parts of the PCB (gently!) while it's running to see if the sound changes.

And don't you wish they still used beeswax (or even carnuba) instead of potting compound. It would be so nice to be able to simply heat up a flyback or what-have-you, drain the wax, rewind the winding or patch it, and refill it with wax.
Seriously, though, I wonder if using wax as a potting compound, since it is somewhat elastic, would be more forgiving of movement caused by magnetostriction.
Does anyone have a handy link to someplace that sells just the shell for flybacks ?
patscc

Is there anyway you can record it and post it ?
patscc

I don't have any decent microphone here, and recording with a cheap camera won't be good. I showed the noise to other people, and no one complains, I think that I'm more sensible to that frequency.

One more thought, take a look at the hi-voltage lead to the CRT and see if it's laying against any metal. I saw more than one monitor where an arc started in the middle of the lead where it went around some metal. Hazeltine 2000 terminals had this problem on occasion and that was only a monochrome display.

Back